Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nuig Accommodation advice corribe village, Gort etc.

• 14-01-2018 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

So accommodation opens soon and I’m stuck for which ones to pick, Ive heard Corrib Village is great for first years and Gort na coiribe is okay I just want to find out more about them. Is it smart to pick corrib villege if i want to do medicine. Is it as mad as everyone says what happens there and are the appartements terrible ? If you specify you want the quiet area is it extremely dead? Is Gort very quiet? And any other places you’d recommend for someone who likes to be social and study

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its up to you. Depends a lot on who you get as housemates as well as neighbours as they will be major factors in whether its loud/noisy.
    You're on campus so if its noisy and you need to study you're right beside all the campus buildings so can study there which isnt available for places off campus.
    Their student campus apartments. When you say terrible what are you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Taztayxo

Its up to you. Depends a lot on who you get as housemates as well as neighbours as they will be major factors in whether its loud/noisy.
    You're on campus so if its noisy and you need to study you're right beside all the campus buildings so can study there which isnt available for places off campus.
    Their student campus apartments. When you say terrible what are you expecting?
    Well I was expecting like run down dirty apartments is it that bad or I’m just overthinking it?

Taztayxo wrote: »
    Well I was expecting like run down dirty apartments is it that bad or I’m just overthinking it?
    You're overthinking it a good bit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I'm looking at Corrib Village or the New Residence for 1st year. The application guide says you have to choose one or the other and also which room type. Any advice on that?

Also I have a problem with the date for accepting or cancelling. It's the day after the first round offers. What happens if I don't get offered NUIG in the first round?

tina1040 wrote: »
    I'm looking at Corrib Village or the New Residence for 1st year. The application guide says you have to choose one or the other and also which room type. Any advice on that?

Also I have a problem with the date for accepting or cancelling. It's the day after the first round offers. What happens if I don't get offered NUIG in the first round?

Anyone have an answer for this?

• Advertisement

Anyone have an answer for this?
    Did you contact the university accommodation office or reception of corrib?

I rang last week with a question on the booking process. I'll ring in morning to check this. Looking back through posts from previous years it looks like lots of waiting lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Taztayxo wrote: »
    So accommodation opens soon and I’m stuck for which ones to pick, Ive heard Corrib Village is great for first years and Gort na coiribe is okay I just want to find out more about them. Is it smart to pick corrib villege if i want to do medicine. Is it as mad as everyone says what happens there and are the appartements terrible ? If you specify you want the quiet area is it extremely dead? Is Gort very quiet? And any other places you’d recommend for someone who likes to be social and study

My daughter stayed in corrib in her first year I was in the apartment they were basic but definatly not dirty. you have your bed and desk in your room and a wardrobe. Think basic and you will be ok
    Daughter in her last year now studying microbiology so corrib didn't do her any harm

What's happening with Gort na Coiribe? I sent the email at 1.30 per the website instructions. Nothing yet from them. Anyone else trying to apply for a place?

What's happening with Gort na Coiribe? I sent the email at 1.30 per the website instructions. Nothing yet from them. Anyone else trying to apply for a place?

Nahh I’m not trying for there yet I think but email again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 74trinity

I sent the email at 1.30, got an email back with a security code which I had to enter into the application form. I filled out the form, got an email back to say I would hear within 2 weeks if I have been successful.

74trinity wrote: »
    I sent the email at 1.30, got an email back with a security code which I had to enter into the application form. I filled out the form, got an email back to say I would hear within 2 weeks if I have been successful.

It didn't work for me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Niamhmg

Hiya, i am currently in Nuig, i was so over worried about accomadtion too, and im a first year so im still new. My best mate at college lives in corrib, she likes it, says the rooms are a little dingey but she likes the social side, theres always people around etc. Its also super close..
    I am a more reserved person, i like going home shutting my door and doing as i please, im shy and am not mad into party life, so i got digs. For someone like me it was perfect, i still have fun, i still talk to the girl staying with me and i still made friends. It depends on who you are, do what feels right, never worry about trying to fit in.. I was so scared everyone would think im a loner if i wasnt in corrib or dunaras, most people are jealous!

Niamhmg wrote: »
    Hiya, i am currently in Nuig, i was so over worried about accomadtion too, and im a first year so im still new. My best mate at college lives in corrib, she likes it, says the rooms are a little dingey but she likes the social side, theres always people around etc. Its also super close..
    I am a more reserved person, i like going home shutting my door and doing as i please, im shy and am not mad into party life, so i got digs. For someone like me it was perfect, i still have fun, i still talk to the girl staying with me and i still made friends. It depends on who you are, do what feels right, never worry about trying to fit in.. I was so scared everyone would think im a loner if i wasnt in corrib or dunaras, most people are jealous!

Thanks youuu that’s actually such a help I applied anyways. And do you know if there’s many people of other cultures there not international students more like African Irish, Asian etc because I wasn’t sure if I’d be the only one.

No problem, hey i went through such a bad worrying phase for like a year before uni and then half of the first year, so if you have anything you wanna ask about email me niamhmg312@gmail.com . There are so many different cultures every year so yeah im sure they are in all accomadations, lots of mixed races

No problem, hey i went through such a bad worrying phase for like a year before uni and then half of the first year, so if you have anything you wanna ask about email me . There are so many different cultures every year so yeah im sure they are in all accomadations, lots of mixed races

Hahah I’m literally such a worrier I will probably email you randomly and if I get in too thank youu

I am a worrier too. still now in college, it can ruin the time before college, it did for me. But trust me email me randomly any time, i hate thinking other people go through what i did

I am a worrier too. still now in college, it can ruin the time before college, it did for me. But trust me email me randomly any time, i hate thinking other people go through what i did

Ah you’re so lovely trust me I will once it kicks in I know who to ask for advice now

Ah haha thank you, its scary like nobody like talks about that side of it, its not all u know drinks parties and friends, so any time u want yeah:)

Ah haha thank you, its scary like nobody like talks about that side of it, its not all u know drinks parties and friends, so any time u want yeah:)

Yeahhhh don’t know much apart from parties that’s true

• Advertisement

Alot isnt true, and it is completly different than school, mostly in good ways but also is a challenge, i could write a book on what i learned haha as someone who over worried and then what it actually was like.

Alot isnt true, and it is completly different than school, mostly in good ways but also is a challenge, i could write a book on what i learned haha as someone who over worried and then what it actually was like.

Hahah you should write a book title it ‘college truths~ what they didn’t tell you’ could help loads like us hahaha

Advertisement