Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer for rent out

Options
  • 14-01-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello Friends,

I am thinking to buy a house as a First Time Buyer (FTB) aiming to rent out later. After 2 or 3 years I will be moving out Ireland and renting this house and this would be my only income in Ireland.

1. Initial loan interest would be 3%. Will the rate go higher if the house rented later?

2. My monthly installment would be e.1400 and 1800 is my target by renting this. Would I be able to cover loan installment by rent?

Here is my tax calculation. Not sure is that correct
    Gross income 22,000 (1800*12)
    Tax payable 22,000 @ 20%
    Total tax liability 4,400
    Less: Personal tax credits (4,950)
    PRSI 872
    Universal social charge 332
    Local Property Tax 497
    Total deductions 1,701

Really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

chamtem wrote: »
    Hello Friends,

I am thinking to buy a house as a First Time Buyer (FTB) aiming to rent out later. After 2 or 3 years I will be moving out Ireland and renting this house and this would be my only income in Ireland.

1. Initial loan interest would be 3%. Will the rate go higher if the house rented later?

2. My monthly installment would be e.1400 and 1800 is my target by renting this. Would I be able to cover loan installment by rent?

Here is my tax calculation. Not sure is that correct
    Gross income 22,000 (1800*12)
    Tax payable 22,000 @ 20%
    Total tax liability 4,400
    Less: Personal tax credits (4,950)
    PRSI 872
    Universal social charge 332
    Local Property Tax 497
    Total deductions 1,701

Really appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks

Talk to an accountant and be honest with them.

There is a lot missing from the above, insurance for starters. Your tax credits seem high to me, and they will change if you are not in the PAYE system. There are too many personal variables for someone to comment.

I’ve said this many times before on here, cash flow is what gets most people. It’s very difficult to keep a positive cash flow, even if you are making a paper profit and everything is going according to plan with the best tenants on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 chamtem

Hi Whatnext,

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct. No personal tax credit if you are not PAYE.

Here is new calculation

Rent (1800 *12) 22000

Mortgage 15600
    Tax (22,000 @ 20%) 4400
    Home Insurance 600
    Life 600
    PRSI 872
    USC 332
    Local Propery Tax 500
    Management Comp 1800

Diff 22000 24704 -2704
    Diff Monthly -225.3333333

Anything else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will you be earning overseas? Depending on the rules where you are living , you may need to pay tax there on income you earn in Ireland.

Also:

Maintenance.

Paying someone to manage the tenancy for you (select new tenants, move in and out inspections, follow up if the rent is late, organise maintenance etc)

Vacancy periods. Its rare to have a tenant in the place for thr full 12 months.

Thanks Mrs OBumble

Corrected

Rent per Month (Best) 1800

Rent (1800 * 11) 19800
    Mortgage 15600
    Tax (22,000 @ 20%) 3960
    Home Insurence 600
    Life 600
    PRSI 872
    USC 332
    Local Propery Tax 500
    Administation Fee 500
    Management Comp 1800
    Diff 19800 24764 -4964

Thansk again Mrs OBumble pointing out earings in Ireland after move, but that wouldn't be a problem to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You shouldn't really be using a standard variable rate on a BTL property, plenty do. Doesn't look like you're deducting the mortgage interest (currently at 80%) from the tax.

Have you considered what you're going to do if the tenant decides not to pay rent and destroys the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

Have you considered other investments that might make a better return? Have you sufficient funds to cope if you get a rogue tenant who stops paying rent or does serious damage to your property?

VonBeanie wrote: »
    Have you considered other investments that might make a better return? Have you sufficient funds to cope if you get a rogue tenant who stops paying rent or does serious damage to your property?

In fairness to this one I think he's hedging with buying somewhere for himself but isn't aware of the significant risks by the looks of things.

Hi Samuel,

Thanks. Can you please suggest a rough value for this. I have no idea how that would be calculated.

Hi Samuel,

Thanks. Can you please suggest a rough value for this. I have no idea how that would be calculated.

Not sure but most of the mortgage repayment is interest so you can safely look at around 50% relived against tax.

• Advertisement

:( ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I think you are mad buying a house if you plan to leave ireland in the next 2-3 years. Who will look after the property rent, bills if not paid on time, plumbing, electrical issues etc. Would it not be more sensible to keep saving and buy at the next crash.

Not sure but most of the mortgage repayment is interest so you can safely look at around 50% relived against tax.

So can I say

Tax payable (22,000 @ 20%) 3960 /2 = 1980

James 007 wrote: »
    I think you are mad buying a house if you plan to leave ireland in the next 2-3 years. Who will look after the property rent, bills if not paid on time, plumbing, electrical issues etc. Would it not be more sensible to keep saving and buy at the next crash.

You are right james, i am really mad on this. on my pre pre calculation (that wouldnt be my finals anyway). I saw a good potential. as per that i have enough saving from this to fly every year

But now its clear that it is not the real situation.

The calculation is more complicated

Income 1000 * 12 = 12000
    Tax @ 20% = 2400

less mortgage interest say 2000
    Less X expenses
    =400-X tax liability

Less 400
    Less Mortgage etc.
    = Net profit

At a 20% tax rate it's unlikely you'd pay much tax on a mortgaged property, especially at the beginning of the mortgage (where you're mainly paying interest)

Thanks all.

Can someone please confirm following taxes are applicable for rental earning?

PRSI
    USC

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

Thanks all.

Can someone please confirm following taxes are applicable for rental earning?

PRSI
    USC

Thanks

Yes. Both are applicable.

You also need to consider that the income may be taxable in the country you are living, as well as Ireland, if you are non-resident.

Thanks everyone.

Most of you guys opinion is buying a house for rent is not financially rewarding... Am I correct?

:)

Thanks

Thanks everyone.

Most of you guys opinion is buying a house for rent is not financially rewarding... Am I correct?

:)

Thanks

If you don't get any bad tenants you should be able to break even but remember we're definitely in a rental bubble, arguably a housing bubble and the legislative environment is stacked against LLs.

Advertisement