Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manned Chinese moon landing

Options
  • 14-01-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

What is everyone's opinion on the Chinese lunar landing which is apparently in 2032. Will the develop a variant of the Soviet LK or design an entirely new lander?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

They'd surely go for something a bit bigger now that it could be constructed in orbit over a much longer time

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robert Power

All depends on the format their mission takes and if they prefer earth other rendezvous or lunar orbit rendezvous. The LK was very simplistic/utterly terrifying compared to the LM, for example no docking tunnel so Eva required to transfer between vehicles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’d say the Chinese will more closely follows the American Apollo architecture as they were proven to be a success. It’s still early days though. The old Soviet designs for the moon landings were poor IMO, way too spartan and probably a death trap had they actually gone ahead.

I wish the Chinese well and really hope they can meet their target date as this might, just might, spur the US into a new space race and see NASA get decent funding to speed up their lunar/beyond Earth orbit and Mars plans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All depends on the format their mission takes and if they prefer earth other rendezvous or lunar orbit rendezvous. The LK was very simplistic/utterly terrifying compared to the LM, for example no docking tunnel so Eva required to transfer between vehicles.
    Technically speaking you'd need to do some EVA otherwise there's no point in going to the moon.

The Chinese bought Soyuz spacecraft technology from the Russians. It was originally part of the Soviet moon program so the orbiter is sorted.

Yes the LK was bare bones indeed so I don't think they'd use it directly. (some of the early US proposals had an astronaut going up sat upon the rocket in a space suit so the LK wasn't the worst.)

They've already managed a soft landing on the moon so they have the technology , just a matter of scaling it up. If they have money to burn and the political will to do so.

I wish the Chinese the best of luck I'd love to see another manned landing preferably in my lifetime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Great to see them planning for a Lunar landing. The Chinese have proven one thing when it comes to space exploration, if they say they will do something, then the do. Its time to go back to the Moon so I for one cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It would be great to see it happening (in my lifetime), especially with today's technology we hopefully would get to see it all live.
    One thing I would love to see come from it, would be for the Chinese to land near enough to the U.S. site for them to live stream themselves going over and prooving once and for all to the doubters that the original landings actually happened.
    Then watch as the same doubters gag while they are eating their tin foil hats :pac:

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It would be great to see it happening (in my lifetime), especially with today's technology we hopefully would get to see it all live.
    One thing I would love to see come from it, would be for the Chinese to land near enough to the U.S. site for them to live stream themselves going over and prooving once and for all to the doubters that the original landings actually happened.
    Then watch as the same doubters gag while they are eating their tin foil hats :pac:

Refusing to believe in the moon landing/flat earthers/UFO nutters are all mentally ill. There will always be some excuse or conspiracy at play!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I wish the Chinese the best of luck I'd love to see another manned landing preferably in my lifetime

This exactly..
    It would be a very exciting development indeed..

K.Flyer wrote: »

The chinese could also go up and say they found no trace of the yanks ever been ther eand then make claim to be the first men on the moon...
    It would be funny... only made funnier if Trump was still the "leader of the free world"

But yes, live streaming would be amazing and any glimpse of previous site an enormous bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

US Intelligence Agencies will anticipate when the Chinese can realistically accomplish this. The US will want to be there to greet them... At the moment I don't believe that the US thinks they can...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I’d say the Chinese will more closely follows the American Apollo architecture as they were proven to be a success. It’s still early days though. The old Soviet designs for the moon landings were poor IMO, way too spartan and probably a death trap had they actually gone ahead.
    Rule 1 of any successful space project, do not develop a new launch system. KISS

Apollo succeeded for two reasons. First it was a matter of national pride during the cold war, "not on my watch" was the watchword for everyone on the project. Second, in 2007 dollars they spent $96 Billion on it.

The Chinese are spending about $3Bn a year on space.
    Then again they have private companies OneSpace and ExPace trying to lower costs.

For everything apart from "marking your territory" the big moon rocket is overkill. For a start it costs too much to develop and test. SLS is hovering up billions and it's using mostly flight proven kit. And with R&D spread over only a few rockets there are no economies of scale.

A better approach would be to use smaller proven rockets to assemble in space. That way you learn all the way. The Russians have had a orbiting space station more or less continuously since 1974. Soyuz T-15 visited Mir and did a trip to Salyut 7 and back back in '86.

The US abandoned Apollo, and Saturn 1, 1B and V, and the Shuttle and is busy re-inventing them, again.

20 tonnes to LEO and the ability to dock and you don't need a huge moon rocket. So yeah the Chinese, and pretty much everyone else could get to the moon with off the shelf hardware. Take a hit on the delta-V and you can use pressure feed storable hypergloic propellants for the trip down to the moon and back to earth, and you can stay for more than a few days.

Rule 1 of any successful space project, do not develop a new launch system. KISS

Apollo succeeded for two reasons. First it was a matter of national pride during the cold war, "not on my watch" was the watchword for everyone on the project. Second, in 2007 dollars they spent $96 Billion on it.

The Chinese are spending about $3Bn a year on space.
    Then again they have private companies OneSpace and ExPace trying to lower costs.

For everything apart from "marking your territory" the big moon rocket is overkill. For a start it costs too much to develop and test. SLS is hovering up billions and it's using mostly flight proven kit. And with R&D spread over only a few rockets there are no economies of scale.

A better approach would be to use smaller proven rockets to assemble in space. That way you learn all the way. The Russians have had a orbiting space station more or less continuously since 1974. Soyuz T-15 visited Mir and did a trip to Salyut 7 and back back in '86.

The US abandoned Apollo, and Saturn 1, 1B and V, and the Shuttle and is busy re-inventing them, again.

20 tonnes to LEO and the ability to dock and you don't need a huge moon rocket. So yeah the Chinese, and pretty much everyone else could get to the moon with off the shelf hardware. Take a hit on the delta-V and you can use pressure feed storable hypergloic propellants for the trip down to the moon and back to earth, and you can stay for more than a few days.

I always thought axing the Shuttles was a mistake.

_Brian wrote: »
    I always thought axing the Shuttles was a mistake.
    Don't get me started on that.

Most things about the shuttle were wrong. Too big , too many compromises, too many assumptions. It was a turkey. And a money pit. The Russians are screwing NASA over on Soyuz flights , but shuttle flights cost a magnitude of order more.

Bottom line is that shuttle was sized for the rare mission instead of the common one.

Most of the shuttle flights risked lives unnecessarily. You don't need humans to send stuff to GEO. (the russian shuttle flew by remote control , BTW Energia has got two payloads up which are heavier than anything Falcon Heavy could ever do , despite what it says on the SpaceX website)

BTW
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/16/chinese_space_station_tiangong_1_likely_to_deorbit_late_march_2018/
    China's first space station to – ahem – de-orbit in late March
    Tiangong-1 is out of control and can't keep it up any more

8.5 Tonnes of "Made in China" will be arriving a lot faster the usual junk from Alibaba - but we're OK :)
    tg-1_coverage_plot_annotated.jpg

Again a reminder , the Chinese know how to dock in orbit. So a moon rocket can be assembled whenever, just like in Arthur C. Clarke's 2010 Book when the Chinese "space station" Tsien decided to head out of orbit and onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Can someone with knowledge of these things explain why it had been so long since someone has walked on the moon. My phone has possibly more computing power than nasa had way back when they put men on the moon. Materials technology etc had improved greatly so it shouldn't even be a challenge nowadays one would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

mickdw wrote: »
    Can someone with knowledge of these things explain why it had been so long since someone has walked on the moon. My phone has possibly more computing power than nasa had way back when they put men on the moon. Materials technology etc had improved greatly so it shouldn't even be a challenge nowadays one would imagine.

Electronics and materials can't get you to the Moon - you need huge great rockets. Those rockets are not needed for anything else, so no-one has built anything like the Saturn V since NASA stopped going to the moon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Money and political will or lack off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Zubenschamli says, theoretically a crew operating a fully mechanical spaceship with manual navigation instruments, hydraulics, levers and cables, should be able to make it to the moon. Computers and electronics make all of these things easier and safer (and lighter), but they're not an absolute requirement.

Ultimately it's all about building the rocket big enough to take you there (and back). And this is not something we've really managed to make any smaller, more efficient or cheaper since 1969. Private companies like SpaceX are getting some of the way there, but more for satellite and space station operations than space exploration.
    Bottom line is that shuttle was sized for the rare mission instead of the common one.
    I wonder was the shuttle built on the expectation that rocket and flight technology would continue to develop at the same pace it did since the Wright Bros.? That is, it was a bit too big initially, but the expectation that within 20 years it would be routine and cheap to send one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

yeah and what about the radiation belts and the flat earth? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the yanks arent keen on anyone landing near where they landed.

Ignition is a book by john D Clark about liquid rocket propellants.

It's a old book. But the laws of chemistry haven't changed. And a rocket is 95% propellent.

In theory you could use Fluorine , Lithium and Hydrogen to get the best performance. Liquid Hydrogen is tricky but doable. Lithium is a metal that busts into flames if you get it wet, except you have to heat it up until it melts and somehow pump it into an engine. And Fluorine is evil.

Exotic high energy fuels are expensive , toxic, explody, corrosive , insanely difficult to handle , smelly or more usually a combination of most of the above.

The trick to rocket fuel is to choose something you can live with. So it's the same old reliables.

Which is why when NASA wants to send astronauts to the ISS they go up on what is essentially an upgraded 1957 Soviet ICBM. The European Space Agency also use them to send up medium sized satellites from French Guiana.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ignition is a book by john D Clark about liquid rocket propellants.

It's a old book. But the laws of chemistry haven't changed. And a rocket is 95% propellent.

In theory you could use Fluorine , Lithium and Hydrogen to get the best performance. Liquid Hydrogen is tricky but doable. Lithium is a metal that busts into flames if you get it wet, except you have to heat it up until it melts and somehow pump it into an engine. And Fluorine is evil.

Exotic high energy fuels are expensive , toxic, explody, corrosive , insanely difficult to handle , smelly or more usually a combination of most of the above.

The trick to rocket fuel is to choose something you can live with. So it's the same old reliables.

Which is why when NASA wants to send astronauts to the ISS they go up on what is essentially an upgraded 1957 Soviet ICBM. The European Space Agency also use them to send up medium sized satellites from French Guiana.

All that accepted, we have improved everything marginally surely, improved simulation to a level that couldnt even be imagined back in 69, improved control and nav systems, created better and no doubt lighter materials and overall would be able to better design any structure now in terms of weight reduction without compromising on safety so i believe it can only be political will. If a full programme was undertaken by Nasa, I still believe it should now be little challenge to them. My main point being that we have not gone backwards in any areas but have advanced majorly in alot of areas.

seamus wrote: »
    I wonder was the shuttle built on the expectation that rocket and flight technology would continue to develop at the same pace it did since the Wright Bros.? That is, it was a bit too big initially, but the expectation that within 20 years it would be routine and cheap to send one up.
    Shuttle was sized for the big KH Spy Satellites which are rare birds. It was sold for the economies of scale of a huge increase in Satellites AND the assumption it was going to be use for all of them. The wings which took up a huge chunk of the weight and were the cause of one loss were only of use to get the shuttle back to it's original base after one orbit a feature only needed by the military and only for very specific missions, like not overflying soviet territory. Otherwise a civilian shuttle could wait for a few orbits for a more suitable landing strip.

To save development costs they abandoned most of the re-use, the SRB's are steel cylinders, so you aren't saving precious aerospace grade aluminium-lithium, and solid rockets don't have turbopumps or anything really worth saving.

And to rub salt into the wounds the Dynasoar like X-37 is probably capable of doing a lot of what the military wanted , with tiny wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

i believe it can only be political will.

Of course if there was political will, NASA could run a new Apollo programme, say 150 billion for 10 missions to the Moon. But that would be a terrible waste of money, because the Apollo programme was a stupid flag-planting exercise.

The right way to do it would be to build a real space station, then a moonbase. It would cost a lot more, but these would be permanent, permanently manned outposts.

If you are not going to do that, you might as well cheap out and use robot probes: far, far cheaper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, it's like climbing down off the trees or discovering America and deciding "nah, fux that, can't be arsed" and turning back again.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/they-arent-completely-separate-though-that-would-imply-282027594

moon_landing.png
    "But c'mon," he concludes, "if the Earth were a basketball, in 40 years no human's been more than half an inch from the surface."

It's much more important to mankind to spend money on men kicking balls around, shiny phones and killing each other. Progress, discovery, bettering mankind? Fcuk that ****, there's money to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

What is everyone's opinion on the Chinese lunar landing which is apparently in 2032. Will the develop a variant of the Soviet LK or design an entirely new lander?

I'm all in favour of the Chinese getting on the moon. What could be more welcome to Yankees arriving on the moon than a Chinese takeaway around the corner?

All that accepted, we have improved everything marginally surely, improved simulation to a level that couldnt even be imagined back in 69, improved control and nav systems, created better and no doubt lighter materials and overall would be able to better design any structure now in terms of weight reduction without compromising on safety so i believe it can only be political will. If a full programme was undertaken by Nasa, I still believe it should now be little challenge to them. My main point being that we have not gone backwards in any areas but have advanced majorly in alot of areas.
    There have been small improvements since 1957. http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz_lv.html
    The big changes to Soyuz has been the addition of extra stages and changing the fuel to a slightly higher energy one. Stronger materials and lighter electronics help too.

In terms of getting off the planet the biggest change has been the recent use of Electric propulsion once you get to Low Earth Orbit. Very roughly you can double the amount of satellites you can get to GEO because you need a lot less fuel getting there and for station keeping once there. (chemical rockets are still handy for slingshots though)

No use for humans because it takes too long. Unless of course you send up the heavy stuff earlier on the slow path and get the humans to dock with it. Again it's using off the shelf launchers instead of a big moon rocket.

It would be a huge challenge to NASA.

Mainly because they have to keep reinventing the wheel. The Russians had a space shuttle. It only made one flight. But the boosters are still in use as Zenit and launched a satellite last month. The boosters for the US shuttle are still being "tested" for SLS.

One of the big problems is that these days 'elf and safety mean NASA have to use "human rated" rockets for humans and they cost a lot more to develop. Another reason to send up crews on a small but reliable rocket and use cheaper ones for the "stuff". But NASA are spending billions to develop SLS

Sometimes it's best to think of NASA as a slush fund for pork barreling and subsidising the defence industry and then you don't get so upset about the waste of money and and time talent and technology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^^
    No, can't say that doesn't upset me. In fact knowing more about how NASA piss money away and people still have to be sent up on top of Russian rockets made from cast iron using valve powered electronics, makes it more upsetting.
    Because it's upsetting in the first place that the US pisses more than 50% of their money down the drain for the military and now to know that NASA gets raided as well for more instruments of warfare.

• Advertisement

It won't be the first time China has sent a manned mission to the Moon ;)
    http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/wan-who.html

Advertisement