Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fairly windy here in Virginia. Plenty of stuff will be flying around tonight as Orange Snow warning in place nothing about wind.

Temp on the car was up to 8c earlier, dropping back to 5 now.

Need a better warning system as this is not the first time we have being caught on the hop.

During Eleanor or Dylan we had no warning until the treed started coming down. Only got upgraded at 7pm.

People will not take warnings seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭vickers209

Very windy in wicklow not expecting power to hold out much longer lights flickering
    And this is only a yellow warning would hate to see orange or red!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

vickers209 wrote: »
    Very windy in wicklow not expecting power to hold out much longer lights flickering
    And this is only a yellow warning would hate to see orange or red!
    I’d say this should be at least a code orange wind warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Very windy in Maynooth. Perhaps as bad as Ophelia was, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still nothing special in North Kildare, windy with fairly strong gusts but nowhere near what I'd call stormy. Met stations not too interesting either with only 3 stations touching 50kt gusts and not even one currently at gale force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Could say that I have never seen as much disparity between forum reports and official station gust values which have never been near orange yet. Latest hourly reports show Casement gusting 50 knots and Dublin 48. Possibly the wind direction is a bit closer to due west than in other events and so those with greater exposure to that direction are feeling it more.

We are covered to 120 km/hr in the boards forecast. Think it should peak soon and begin to wind down later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

I went to Irish college there for a year 27 years ago and the wind howling around the college was always phenomenal, even though it was in the sheltered side of the bay.

Yep - I'm about 1k from the college, further East along the peninsula. Sustained strong winds until maybe 0030, possibly beginning to ease now

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

This should have been orange alert i think, the gusts are very strong. But it is strange that the stations are recording differently then what people are experiencing

At least here in cork City Ophelia was definitely worse then this, I am.able to tell the difference. The gusts in Ophelia were pretty bad. This is close though, and i think the sustained winds are stronger then Ophelia buts the gusts during Ophelia we're definitely more damaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Still nothing special in North Kildare, windy with fairly strong gusts but nowhere near what I'd call stormy. Met stations not too interesting either with only 3 stations touching 50kt gusts and not even one currently at gale force

I'd say you are used to very strong winds and find midland's wind events very moderate at best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Yep - I'm about 1k from the college, further East along the peninsula. Sustained strong winds until maybe 0030, possibly beginning to ease now

I spoke too soon - MASSIVE gust just there, along with a very loud bang :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Got a bit windy since my last post, with a few noticable gusts but nothing out of the ordinary for me anyway and has died down considerably

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

nagdefy wrote: »
    I'd say you are used to very strong winds and find midland's wind events very moderate at best:)

To an extent yes but the official met readings are saying the same, current conditions are just about worthy of a yellow warning going by the criteria of 90kph/49kt gusts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

To an extent yes but the official met readings are saying the same, current conditions are just about worthy of a yellow warning going by the criteria of 90kph/49kt gusts

It's true the official readings back it up. I don't know why trees are swaying so much for the wind speed and it feels a lot windier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Very strong gusts here too, especially in the past 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Blowing a steady near gale of 34mph (10 minute average) with a storm force gust of 57mph. South Laois in a valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DAN85

Very strong gusts in Naas. Picked up in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Wind howling in Templeogue. Sounds like the worst storm we've had, were protected with the wind direction for Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pretty sure it's the sustained nature of the wind making it feel and sound worse than Ophelia. Numerically it's nowhere close.

Highest gust then was 156? km/h, so far we're in around 100km/h mark for not Georgina.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

It is the strength of the sustained winds here in Clondalkin that is impressive. Would not say gusts are to out of the ordinary, but for sure a stormy night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Judging by the madness I'm hearing outside, if the Casement gusts don't beat 50 kts for 01:00 I'll eat my own face.
    I'm expecting >60 kts on 01:00 or 02:00 reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Roof rattling windows shaking here in Ardmore co Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Flickering lights in clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Serios sustained wind on the north side of Dublin at the moment, that's for sure. Tiles and windows shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've seen a report that says a 93mph wind gust was recorded in Capel Curig, Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I'm a very heavy sleeper but was just woken by the booming wind against the window. In Dublin.

Definitely louder than Ophelia.

Gusts 52 kt at Casement, 49 kt Dublin, and 53 kt Johnstown Castle which is more unusual as they seem a bit sheltered for their overall exposure. (0100h reports)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gusts 52 kt at Casement, 49 kt Dublin, and 53 kt Johnstown Castle which is more unusual as they seem a bit sheltered for their overall exposure. (0100h reports)

I'm in Wexford and there has been some strong gusts in the past couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Seems to have passed here now in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Winds definitely easing off now in South Tipp - temps dropping too

• Advertisement

Dublin now gusting to 52 knots, temp has dropped to 3 C.

Advertisement