Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Could say that I have never seen as much disparity between forum reports and official station gust values which have never been near orange yet. Latest hourly reports show Casement gusting 50 knots and Dublin 48. Possibly the wind direction is a bit closer to due west than in other events and so those with greater exposure to that direction are feeling it more.

We are covered to 120 km/hr in the boards forecast. Think it should peak soon and begin to wind down later tonight.

There are significant gaps across the south west of the country where there appears to be areas with no official recording station coverage. This is especially notable inland. I can understand the need for coastal stations - but believe that many wind inland conditions are under reported as a result.

https://www.met.ie/about/weatherobservingstations/default.asp

The official weather station closest to me (Fermoy Moorepark) is not operational apparently atm

https://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Winds have finally died down here. High sustained winds with some house rattling gusts towards midnight and after. Sadly my own weather station is non operational atm - time to invest in a decent one I think ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is fairly windy here in(London)- not a proper storm, but still gusts of 45 - 50 mph or so, which is unusual for London, and was enough to cause some damage.

I would not be surprised if places like Kent and Norfolk might record close to 70mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, widespread gusts 100-120 km/hr in eastern England this morning. The Netherlands and parts of Belgium, Germany already seeing strong winds but will get hit very hard by gusts to 140 km/hr later on as this storm continues to intensify.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

Storm force 10 now on the Dutch coast. Winds expected to peak between 9 and 11 this morning. I'm far inland near Utrecht but pretty severe gusts also here. Moving the car away from trees now. Highest gusts shown here:

https://www.weerplaza.nl/actueel/extremen/maximum-windstoten

Upgraded from orange to red warning for parts of the Netherlands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Blustery here in Kerry last night, i had a peak wind speed of 77.4kmh ... last night was more blustery than the previous night for sure (Storm Fionn)

Data from my station ..see the swing in Pressure and increase in temperature during the worst part of the wind event

wxStationGraphAll?day=17&year=2018&month=1&ID=ICOKERRY3&width=700&showsolarradiation=0&showuv=0&showtemp=1&showpressure=1&showwind=1&showwinddir=1&showrain=1&type=type=3

• Advertisement

143km/h gust in Hoek van Holland on the Dutch coast.  Gusting around 120km/h locally (Utrecht).
    https://www.weerplaza.nl/gdata/10min/GMT_FXFX_latest.png.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Hoek van Holland 104 km/hr gusting to 144 km/hr

Schilpol Amsterdam gusting 119 km/hr

other locations in southern Netherlands gusting over 120 km/hr

nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Here in East Anglia, had some very strong gusts between 5 and 6am. A few trees brought down, and lots of bins (and rubbish sadly) scattered everywhere.

Both IJmuiden and Hoek van Holland on the Dutch coast reported sustained wind force 11 for over an hour which classifies this officially as severe storm. Last time this occurred in The Netherlands was on October 28th 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Hit 83mph at tibenham Norfolk earlier this morning according to bbc news 24

• Advertisement

burren wrote: »
    Both IJmuiden and Hoek van Holland on the Dutch coast reported sustained wind force 11 for over an hour which classifies this officially as severe storm. Last time this occurred in The Netherlands was on October 28th 2013.

Is that potential Eleanor or something else? Did it eventually get a name ? Or is it only Ireland and Uk that name storms?

Is that potential Eleanor or something else?  Did it eventually get a name ?  Or is it only Ireland and Uk that name storms?
    It's named "Friederike" by the Germans (Deutsche Wetterdienst). Red alerts also over large parts of Germany for this one. Luckily it's a quick moving system. The worst seems to be over already here (Utrecht).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some of the earlier posts made comparisons of last nights system with Ophelia. As bit of a weather nerd I keep a record of forecasts and observations for each storm system for the past couple of years. I like taking screen captures from the short range wind forecast on met.ie as whatever model that uses seems to get updated quite frequently (every 2 hours?). I am open to correction on this but I believe it provides a good up to date picture of what is likely to happen. Just for comparison here's last nights system vs Ophelia and Storm Doris while they were doing their best :)

Last night:
    IiCFK8Gm.jpg

Ophelia [Oct 16, 2017]:
    UNe7ZD9m.jpg

Doris [Feb 23, 2017]:
    xcjPnERm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Storm force 10 now on the Dutch coast. Winds expected to peak between 9 and 11 this morning. I'm far inland near Utrecht but pretty severe gusts also here. Moving the car away from trees now. Highest gusts shown here:

I have a colleague over there and he says the roads are blocked all over the place from toppled trucks.

Kamili wrote: »

I have a colleague over there and he says the roads are blocked all over the place from toppled trucks.
    Yes, and also a lot of structural damage. I believe there were some record breaking gusts for inland stations. This picture is in De Meern near Utrecht and very close to where I live.
    1550758_1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

3 dead in the Netherlands ... Nasty storm this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

weisses wrote: »
    3 dead in the Netherlands ... Nasty storm this

RIP..

Really does sound horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Posting on todays Storm in Mainland Europe
    https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU

• Advertisement

DominoDub wrote: »
    Posting on todays Storm in Mainland Europe
    https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU
    Scary videos of roofs, trees, containers, and people blown all over the place :O

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sustained storm force 10 winds (55mph) being reported in Leipzig atm. Gusting 68mph. Probably not very common for such an inland location in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

a video compilation from holland.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Sustained storm force 10 winds (55mph) being reported in Leipzig atm. Gusting 68mph. Probably not very common for such an inland location in Germany.

I wonder if Liam Dutton is still harping on about it not being a storm ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

gozunda wrote: »

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/liam-dutton/blogs/why-i-criticised-met-eireann-for-naming-storm-fionn

EDIT: Also, that's nothing to do with this storm we had last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

gozunda wrote: »

His criticisms were nothing to do with this system.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    His criticisms were nothing to do with this system.

I do know that - it was brought up earlier in this thread :rolleyes: Thanks

Fionn to Friederike 

https://twitter.com/JenBartram/status/953977936763326465?s=17

http://www.dw.com/en/deadly-storm-friederike-wreaks-havoc-across-western-europe/a-42205472

Edit: look a like storm 'Fionn' had the last laugh leaving the UK
    The remnants of Storm Fionn is creating low pressure across the UK, bringing severe gales of up to 95mph and heavy snow in the north

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5282449/Drivers-warned-stay-roads.html

And yes I know it's the Daily Mail - sorry about that ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Ok folks, I've been looking at the scenes from Holland and Germany. I've one thing to say. I think we have actually started to get it right here in Ireland. We locked this country down when Ophelia arrived. We issue warnings at every opportunity. The media add a bit of drama to it that helps. To see the videos of trucks, trams, pedestrians and cyclists getting hammered in Holland with fatalities, isn't comfortable. They knew it was coming. So I'm all for warnings, precautions and media drama. Oh and that Channel 4 lad can feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ok folks, I've been looking at the scenes from Holland and Germany. I've one thing to say. I think we have actually started to get it right here in Ireland. We locked this country down when Ophelia arrived. We issue warnings at every opportunity. The media add a bit of drama to it that helps. To see the videos of trucks, trams, pedestrians and cyclists getting hammered in Holland with fatalities, isn't comfortable. They knew it was coming. So I'm all for warnings, precautions and media drama. Oh and that Channel 4 lad can feck off!

Tell that to a lot of the country who see a warning and think its nothing! Sure it might not have been something in your area but if something that strong and damaging is close to me, id much rather be safe and prepared then not, even if nothing does happen.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Orange alert was raised on Wednesday so we knew something was brewing. But it remains very difficult, also for the Dutch met office KNMI, to decide when and what color alert to raise. The red alert, meaning stay at home if you can, was only raised this morning close to when highest gusts were measured on the coast. So most of the Dutch were unprepared for something of this magnitude. This storm will end up somewhere low down in the top 10 of most severe wind storms since measurements started in 1900. Of course in hindsight the red alert should have been raised very early morning based on the signals of rapid intensification over the UK.

Advertisement