Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

WEB_Analysis.png?1933

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some big chimney rattlers just now, can't hear the tv over them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds should be picking up in the West and South West now. Here in Waterford City i'm expecting an increase around 9pm and peaking between 1 and 2am. Agree totally that this could go Orange as gusts do look severe especially over inland areas that don't normal get the worst of these low pressure systems.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record to see how these models perform. Gust of 68 km/h ( 7m height ) here near Tralee.

tempresult_ofb3.gif

tempresult_hdp7.gif

tempresult_ncj3.gif

rafales_uk_szu2.png

11.8C now

temp_uk_lgn6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

pad199207 wrote: »
    No matter what your opinion on naming Fionn. Liam Dutton is best advised to stay quiet. How unprofessional. Lost any respect for him, if you don't agree with something you don't lash out like a child.

Exactly completely agree WC. He has lost a great deal of credibility now over this.
    I disagree.
    While I accept it's none of his business you couldn't argue too much with the points he made.
    I mean it was a squall event and to call it a storm and actually name it was lacking professional guidance imo

Fionn was an orange alert and ophelia was red yet in real terms they were world's apart from a disruption pov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

5a5fa112b3f25.jpg
    -1 hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Gust of 77.4kmh here in Killorglin Co Kerry in the last 30 minutes or so.... Temp at 11.4c currently ... very blustery out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Wild here in limerick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The bigger winds coming now after the warm front has passed through. Met Eireann 3 Hr charts showing mean wind speeds of 41 to 48 kts ( Force 9 ) along the Western coasts at 22.00, 28 to 34Kts overland ( force 7 ) and between 34 kts and 48 kts as the winds leave the E coast around 00.00 - 02.00

9Z04gOQ.png?1

uyqnU3t.gif

aH2cMZI.gif

tempresult_vuf7.gif

tempresult_wmn5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

The track in the ME forecast chart reminds me of Kyrill.

• Advertisement

Met 8pm reports

Kinsale gusting 60 knots.
    Sherkin 49 knots
    Mace head 46 knots
    Shannon 44 knots
    (Belmullet 34 knots and down to 985hpa)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK forecast chart for midnight tonight:

map.png

Strongest winds will most likely be over Leinster & E. Munster by this time and are likely to occur ahead of that Occlusion swinging from the W, and which is where the isobaric gradient is tightest. Winds further west peaking between around 9pm and 11pm.

New Moon

(Belmullet 34 knots and down to 985hpa)

Slightly lower pressure reading than was forecast for the time for Belmullet.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

map.png

Strongest winds will most likely be over Leinster & E. Munster by this time and are likely to occur ahead of that Occlusion swinging from the W, and which is where the isobaric gradient is tightest. Winds further west peaking between around 9pm and 11pm.

Oh joy - that will be right over me ....

130 m asl
    North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

map.png

Things have picked up a bit in the last half hour, more frequent strong gusts, windows creaking a bit, driving rain and what sounded like some hail thrown in.

Things have picked up a bit in the last half hour, more frequent strong gusts, windows creaking a bit, driving rain and what sounded like some hail thrown in.

Fairly breezy here but not that gusty, the current 20 kt mean is more from a sustained wind speed rather than from accumulating from high gust speeds.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Blustery outside Ennis now, but temps have shot up to 11c now.

Dragging in a lot of warm air from somewhere

10 min avg 32 km/h , recent gust 72 km/h near Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's pretty windy in south Galway at the moment. In the unscientific measurements of noise and making me worried about trees outside, it's matching anything else that's hit this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very wild now in Galway City some very severe wind gusts

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Blustery outside Ennis now, but temps have shot up to 11c now.

Dragging in a lot of warm air from somewhere

Just touched 10.0c here now, the highest reading of the month so far.

New Moon

Severe gusts here in Castlebar since about 8.30. came up very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Buckets and buckets of rain in athlone

994.5hPa Falling Rapidly near Tralee, gust now of 74 km/h at (7m)

rafales_uk_dei5.png

pression2_uk_eix4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

very strong winds here alright in cork city, can hear it hammering off the side of my house (aka my bedroom wall!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes sounds as bad as anything we've got all winter in Galway even though its only a Yellow warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

VERY windy in east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Still can't believe this wasn't named today, it's absolutely howling here in Macroom, co.cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks to be within the boundaries of the existing forecasts, will be peaking soon on the west coast and around 0100-0200h Thursday for Dublin. Will hit quite hard in the Netherlands and Germany, it just got off to that rather slow start breaking through a ridge of arctic high pressure on Monday, and will need another 12 hours to reach its peak potential.

If you are in Meath or Dublin or midlands expect your winds to gradually veer to westerly then pick up sharply from WNW to NW when the front passes. My guess is that Dublin peak gusts will be 55 to 58 knots.

If further north near the actual track, you may see some odd twists and turns in your wind observations but generally should fall off to almost calm then suddenly blast in from almost due north when it passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks to be within the boundaries of the existing forecasts, will be peaking soon on the west coast and around 0100-0200h Thursday for Dublin. Will hit quite hard in the Netherlands and Germany, it just got off to that rather slow start breaking through a ridge of arctic high pressure on Monday, and will need another 12 hours to reach its peak potential.

If you are in Meath or Dublin or midlands expect your winds to gradually veer to westerly then pick up sharply from WNW to NW when the front passes. My guess is that Dublin peak gusts will be 55 to 58 knots.

If further north near the actual track, you may see some odd twists and turns in your wind observations but generally should fall off to almost calm then suddenly blast in from almost due north when it passes.

Currently hitting 60 mph on my weather station in Galway

Advertisement