Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Will hit quite hard in the Netherlands and Germany, it just got off to that rather slow start breaking through a ridge of arctic high pressure on Monday, and will need another 12 hours to reach its peak potential.

So it doesn't develop enough to be a proper winter storm for us, but just enough to dilute the cold spell. It seems this winter we are so close to a significant near nationwide frontal snow event, but still it's tantalisingly out of reach.
    Still one of these years it will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm met reports

Mace head gusting 59 knots
    Shannon airport 59 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

So it doesn't develop enough to be a proper winter storm for us, but just enough to dilute the cold spell. It seems this winter we are so close to a significant near nationwide frontal snow event, but still it's tantalisingly out of reach.
    Still one of these years it will happen!

Yeah it could have been alot more interesting,we can't even get a proper storm,and yet BOOM on reaching mainland Europe.

IV put my headphones on,it's over here.
    Very drab affair.

Otherwise they swing around to Donegal bay a and we just get glancing blows in the west/northwest.

It ruined the cold spell too.such a waste of energy.
    Christ weather in Ireland can be heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A few moderate gusts here outside Newport, nothing of any significance.
    Weather station is upstairs but I'd be surprised if it's recorded anything above 50kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

When are the winds due to pick up in leinster, not a breeze yet in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah it could have been alot more interesting,we can't even get a proper storm,and yet BOOM on reaching mainland Europe.

IV put my headphones on,it's over here.
    Very drab affair.

Otherwise they swing around to Donegal bay a and we just get glancing blows in the west/northwest.

It ruined the cold spell too.such a waste of energy.
    Christ weather in Ireland can be heartbreaking.

I suppose but that's what makes those rare occasions like 2010 so memorable. If we were Guaranteed a winter like they get in Minnesota, would we like snow as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast wind chart for 11pm. BF 7 over much of the Midwest region:

3hr-wind.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Starting to get some decent gusts now in South Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Very strong constant wind here now in cork City with even stronger gusts, definitely getting a bit stronger as the night goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

very strong gusts here in south galway, a bit unexpected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The gusts are pretty good here in South Laois. It's whoppin it up outside.

If we were Guaranteed a winter like they get in Minnesota, would we like snow as much?

Can't speak for others but I reckon you would Nacho. :)

New Moon

When are the winds due to pick up in leinster, not a breeze yet in my area

From MT a couple of posts back:

"If you are in Meath or Dublin or midlands expect your winds to gradually veer to westerly then pick up sharply from WNW to NW when the front passes. My guess is that Dublin peak gusts will be 55 to 58 knots".

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Gusts near Adare, Co. Limerick are as bad as Ophelia

Temperature around 11c. Very mild

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Wind really picking up here in Firhouse/Ballycullen in Dublin.....howling down the chimney, haven't needed any kindling tonight, the wind has kept it going!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

wind.png

Increase in wind speed (standard 10m height) in South Laois. Alot milder too, temps 10.7c!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely wild here in North Cork at the moment - very strong gusts, just back home and passed limbs of trees down already on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Picked up here very suddenly in Naas. Loud roar amongst the buildings. This could be a bit stormy in the coming hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    From MT a couple of posts back:

"If you are in Meath or Dublin or midlands expect your winds to gradually veer to westerly then pick up sharply from WNW to NW when the front passes. My guess is that Dublin peak gusts will be 55 to 58 knots".

Yeah seen it, didnt see an estimated time but its starting to pick up now

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Quite a wild night here in Delvin Westmeath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind speed ramping up sharply - temperature 9c - pressure 987

Edit: Gust just now - house actually vibrated

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Slates are rattling badly here in South Carlow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds picking up now here in Waterford City. Gust of 53km/h just recorded

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Howling outside in north cork. Some gusts shaking the floor of the dormer. Noises not heard before rattling about outside. Can't believe it's only a yellow. Definitely reminiscent of Ophelia. How come temps have risen so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

started to blow hard now near Delvin co Westmeath ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well this has escalated quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Howling outside in north cork. Some gusts shaking the floor of the dormer. Noises not heard before rattling about outside. Can't believe it's only a yellow. Definitely reminiscent of Ophelia. How come temps have risen so much?
    I agree, I cannot believe this is only a yellow givin the conditions outside atm. I had not expected this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just went out to make sure there was no loose debris lying around the back garden. A bird just flew up beside me and perched on the wall looking at me. Poor little bugger must have had a nasty wake up call.

I'd swear he was thinking; "Ah, a fellow wind weary refugee. What plans to brave this one out?". I felt more than a little guilty as I re-entered the peaceful confines of the dining room and closed the door.

Fairly gusty now here in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why so wondy.
    Never knew it was going to get like this.

• Advertisement

Yeah seen it, didnt see an estimated time but its starting to pick up now

Met forecast windspeed chart for midnight:

3hr-wind1701182149.gif

New Moon

Advertisement