Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds for Munster, Connacht and Leinster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Got quite windy now in D11. Pressure just starting to rise at 985hPa. Temperature has risen up to 9.9C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not as bad as Ophelia here but very gusty indeed. May change in a couple of hour though :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really high winds here now, howling outside, wasn't expecting it to be this windy or the high temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

10C in Dublin 1C in Belfast at 2200

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Getting really windy now. 38knts/70kph gusts in Wexford harbour.

• Advertisement

dring wrote: »

Colder conditions coming back into the far west. Belmullet reached 9C earlier. Back down to 5 now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dring wrote: »

most of the republic is now double figures with the exception of areas close to the border. The really mild conditions certainly went further north than expected. Wind is worse than expected too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very wild here near Mallow. Nothing too severe but worse than I thought. People who leave bins outside the night before need to check weather forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Strong gusts here outside Tipperary town..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Was out for a jog at 9.30 here in D15. Got a surprisingly powerful wind assist on the way home. Good howl in the trees. The mildness also surprised me as I dressed for colder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aurora1966

Just north of dublin airport, wind is howling and mild temperatures have taken hold 10 degrees. Sounds like a steam engine outside that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

9*C at Claremorris, and 1*C just 100km north at Finner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm

Mace head gust 55 knots
    Dublin airport 50 knots
    Sherkin 52 knots
    Gurteen 49 knots
    Oak Park 48 knots
    Shannon 48 knots

(Malin head just 2 degrees, Roches point 11 degrees).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

Gust of 79kph recorded at ashford weather station in Co.Wicklow. pressure dropping rapidly 986.9mb very loud and gusty out. Just as an aside I find yr useless for these wind events more or less always for East coast at any rate. Was giving winds of 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

It's sounding fairly wild out now, here in South Carlow. Lashing rain, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Surprisingly mild here in South Tipp, but very windy verging on stormy conditions outside. Sustained gusts, getting a bit dangerous to be outside. Much worse than I expected from the forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Fairly hairy here (An Rinn, Waterford) now, been building for the last two hours. We seem to get a lot of windy days/nights, I'm ten years here and still remark on the wind every winter. Tonight's is the worst of 2018 certainly and possibly as bad as anything in the last 12 months (bar Ophelia). I can hear the fence I had to replace after Ophelia creaking... Hopefully that's all we'll lose tonight

Location is kind-of cliff top, about 100ft asl (guessing a bit)

Kinsale(exposed location) gusting 66 knots at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Fairly hairy here (An Rinn, Waterford) now, been building for the last two hours. We seem to get a lot of windy days/nights, I'm ten years here and still remark on the wind every winter. Tonight's is the worst of 2018 certainly and possibly as bad as anything in the last 12 months (bar Ophelia). I can hear the fence I had to replace after Ophelia creaking... Hopefully that's all we'll lose tonight

I went to Irish college there for a year 27 years ago and the wind howling around the college was always phenomenal, even though it was in the sheltered side of the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭the2hurdys

Anyone have a timeline or current chart for this? Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gust of 87km/h recorded at a station near An Rinn, Waterford

11pm shows a fairly tight gradient

WEB_Analysis.png?2335

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_xva5.png

tempresult_ksf6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Garden fence came down during Ophilia. Between different things the new one went up yesterday and today and the cement is still drying on the support posts. I'm hoping this doesn't get any stronger.
    Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Extremely windy in Greystones, I’d say nearly as bad as Ophelia, scary stuff going on outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Really stormy here in South Tipp. Some of the gusts are very strong. And the noise!

I'd say this is worse than Ophelia, it's certainly going on for a bit longer too. Roof of the house rattled about 10 minutes ago and can hear branches cracking outside every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the windiest here for several years. Anemometer's broken so no reading, but I'd say 60 knots +

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Seems to me that the sustained/mean winds are much stronger in this one than in most of the recent storms (here in Dublin 7 anyway) - the gusts aren't quite as standout, but there are long minutes when it's really strong.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a squall line (00:15 radar) moving off the Louth coast and into the Irish sea. Not much wind and rain here in Dundalk bar about 15 mins ago when that feature pushed through.

439030.png

Advertisement