Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange problem with Lifestyle Sports

Options
  • 14-01-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Bought my son a pair of runners for his birthday last week which he decided couple of days later he didn't like. In the meantime I had thrown out the box they came in. So I went to exchange them today and was told in no uncertain terms by the "manager" that she wouldn't exchange them without the box as the goods had to be in a resalable condition. She also advised that if I went to their other store in the shopping centre they might exchange them but this would be at the managers discretion.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Since it's change of mind as opposed to the runners being faulty they are not obliged to accept them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I know a lot of people leave the box in the shop when buying new shoes,but tbh they need the box in the shop to store them.It does form part of the item purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are right. The goods are not faulty. It's a 'change of mind' and any recompense is at the store's discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kranbo

They are right. The goods are not faulty. It's a 'change of mind' and any recompense is at the store's discretion.

The receipt says "we are happy to exchange or refund any item returned in a saleable condition with a receipt within 21 days of purchase".

The mangers argument is that the goods are not in a resalable condition because the box is not been returned with the runners

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

The manager is correct. They were sold with the box, you're not returning the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

OP... did he wear them around for any length of time???

Just wondering ????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

kranbo wrote: »
    Any thoughts?
    Only one. Your son has a perfectly serviceable pair of runners that should easily last him a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The receipt says "we are happy to exchange or refund any item returned in a saleable condition with a receipt within 21 days of purchase".

The mangers argument is that the goods are not in a resalable condition because the box is not been returned with the runners

The manager is correct.
    Would you have bought them if they were handed to you without a box?

They must be returned as they were sold, that means in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Id have a funny feeling some other kid said something like "your runners look stupid"and was laughing etc.did you ask what was wrong with them.and the shop is right technically your not returning the item in full ie the box is missing as silly as it might sound

Masala wrote: »
    OP... did he wear them around for any length of time???

Just wondering ????

No - they are in perfect condition.

Just pulled the box from the recycling bin and have reassembled it with sellotape.
    Can't really understand the issue re the box - as one poster said some people opt to leave it in the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just pulled the box from the recycling bin and have reassembled it with sellotape.
    Can't really understand the issue re the box - as one poster said some people opt to leave it in the shop

Out of curiosity, if they had said when you were buying them " we have a pair here that someone bought and brought back later, there's no box or anything" would you be happy paying full price for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

If they exchange them it's out of good will only.
    There's no legal obligation on a bricks and mortar retailer to take goods back just because you don't like them.

Without the box, they also want easily store or resell them.

It's really not reasonable to expect a store to do that. They're potentially taking a dead loss on the runners, which will end up sitting in a store room for months.

It's different if the goods are faulty or not as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I wouldn’t care for the box tbh. Them asking for the box is akin to a shop asking you for their original bag that was given. The box is packaging, not part of the product.

Though as said an exchange is at their discretion in change of mind situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

vicwatson wrote: »
    I wouldn’t care for the box tbh. Then asking for the box is akin to a shop asking you for their original bag that as given. The box is packaging, not part of the product.

Nope, it's part of the original product.

If the shoes were faulty, they would be required to take them back / otherwise resolve the problem.

If you're asking someone to take a product back simply because you've changed your mind. They're under no obligation whatsoever to do so.

If they're accepting it back, at their discretion and put of goodwill only, you need to ensure that the goods are resalable.

Who is going to buy shoes that aren't in a box and may have been worn?

If you're unsure you want something and the retailer may have a returns policy that allows change of mind, do not remove labels and do not damage or dispose of the box.

If you are returning a faulty good, the box isn't relevant.

I've seen this work both ways where a consumer thinks they've a legal right to change of mind returns and I've also seen retailers being utterly unreasonable by expecting faulty good to have their original packaging.

Basically OP, you've no legal rights to return it and Lifestyle are 100% correct. It's at their discretion entirely as you've just changed your mind.

Under EU law you can exercise change of mind for 2 weeks on distance selling - where you've bought something unseen online (or over the phone etc). This absolutely doesn't apply to physical shops. Also there are reasonable exceptions like where a product has been used, damage and certain hygiene issues like say underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I wouldn’t care for the box tbh. Them asking for the box is akin to a shop asking you for their original bag that was given. The box is packaging, not part of the product.

The box is part of the product and part of the storage. How do you think shoes are stored in a shoe shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Of course the box is part of the product. Imagine the same situation but with a Lego set instead of runners - try returning that. The box is the original packaging, not just a bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would agree that OP is being a bit unreasonable. It's at the shops discretion to accept an item back due to change of mind, and most shops are quite good for this in fairness, but expecting them to take back an item minus the packaging is a bit much....there wouldn't be many shops that would.

I would agree that OP is being a bit unreasonable. It's at the shops discretion to accept an item back due to change of mind, and most shops are quite good for this in fairness, but expecting them to take back an item minus the packaging is a bit much....there wouldn't be many shops that would.

All I asked was what peoples thoughts were on the matter - nothing unreasonable about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

All I asked was what peoples thoughts were on the matter - nothing unreasonable about that

The fact that you're going to try again with a taped up box is beyond reason in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

So many people in here have obviously never worked in a shop.

The box has the barcode and size info etc. It is not as easy as 'putting it in another box'. You would need a box for the same size and colour. Why should the shop have to go to that effort for a change of mind?

People will not buy shoes that don't come in a box unless it is a sale item and even then it can be a pain.

You might say 'oh i wouldn't mind' but have you ever been offered a pair of shoes in that condition? Outside of a sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

No you didn't.

You purposely named the store in the thread title to try and effect your little revenge and hoped people would say store was unreasonable.

As you've found out, store has been very reasonable and you were not.

Packaging forms an integral part of a product. On top of barcode and product information as said by another poster, it also protects the product in the storeroom.

The same applies to distance selling - it must be returned in original condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He/she is absolutely right.

What a ****ing joke. Yeah, I'm sure the store will be able to re-sell the shoes as new with their clearly damaged packaging. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why do so many people think they have an option to change their mind on items they’ve purchased?
    I wouldn’t blame shops who have heretofore operated a returns policy as a matter of goodwill from rescinding it.
    The shoes were presented boxed and no doubt unworn and are now being returned worn and in a battered box stuck with sellotape.
    Entitlement !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

When people don't take the box home it's usually because they're wearing the shoes walking out of the shop. Since they've worn them they can't bring them back for a change of mind anyway so the whole "some people don't even take the box" is irrelevant.

I can understand the shops point of view. Too many people try it on with shoes worn a few weeks and it ruins it for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Lot of harsh posts here.

Anyone with kids knows that "change of mind" is a daily occurance. What they like today, they do t tomorrow. I have returned boots and runners in the past. I also have bought runners for the kids which just had to be worn out of the shop so numerous times over the years I have asked retail staff to dispose of boxes rather than bringing them home and throwing them in the bin. I can also confirm that I have on at least one occasion returned football boots (unworn) after shop had disposed of packaging. It really comes down to the attitude of the manager. The returned runners could be used as display shoes and sold off when they are down to the last pair.

Op, you unfortunately have no rights on this as it's a change of mind, but I'd try another store, tell them there that you left box in shop when buying. Some other kid will buy the same shoes and the shop can just ask if they want the box to be thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's obviously not what the poster you quoted is talking about, Those shoes are supposed to be sold that way, and they have barcodes, prices etc clearly attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

vic have you though this through?

how can the shop re-sell those runners without the box? they cannot. so the shop would be down 2 pairs of runners for the price of one. How can that be okay? whats to stop someone changing their mindagain and going for a 3rd pair?

that's why they only exchange if the goods are returned in saleable condition!! so they are not out of pocket. Where you consider they retailer could legally say no exchange, it is a reasonable clause.

Bear in mind if they were faulty you would not have to produce the box!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Melendez wrote: »

Generally shoes sold in boxes do not have tags as such with size/barcode/cost on them, since this is on the box. I would argue that shoes returned without a box would not be of saleable condition as is the same as a product that has missing/damaged packaging. Therefore the only way these would be sold is with a price reduction.

Why should the store have to reduce the price of the shoes at the fault of the OP? It's not a manager being petty, its a manager doing their job. Very few, if any, managers would accept a product back without all original packaging unless it's faulty.

Advertisement