Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus - Anyone had their complaint processed

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

BeardySi wrote: »
    How can the cabin crew enforce deletion of images? I doubt they can physically take the device.

They can't, all they can do is ask.

Ive had a situation where a self proclaimed “online journalist “ was filming crew members assisting an reduced mobility passenger into their seat during boarding . They were spotted by other passengers who felt this was an invasion of that individuals privacy. Crew asked them to delete said footage, and they refused.
    Short shrift from the captain soon changed their mind when the option was delete it in front of the captain or off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Calm down and read my posts and yours.

I said I wanted management to know know, thats logical and sensible don't you think ?

You said I would get a scripted reply, and the crew might get feedback. Not listening to real world paying customer feedback is archaic.

I hope you get it now.

SB

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Calm down and read my posts and yours.

I said I wanted management to know know, thats logical and sensible don't you think ?

You said I would get a scripted reply, and the crew might get feedback. Not listening to real world paying customer feedback is archaic.

I hope you get it now.

SB
    They will get your real world customer feedback, my point about a scripted reply is you’ll get an apology, you won’t get a he said, she said explanation as to what happened in terms of the actual confrontation.
    Did you also contact Stobart as suggested ?

The logical thing would be for management to contact me, listen to my complaint, and deal as they see best to impelment the companies mission.. No scripted replies. I would be happy knowing the right thing for the company was being done.

Yes I took time to follow your suggestion, Stobart website contact redirects to Aer Lingus who handle all communications relating to ALR flights, so a waste of time.

SB

The logical thing would be for management to contact me, listen to my complaint, and deal as they see best to impelment the companies mission.. No scripted replies. I would be happy knowing the right thing for the company was being done.

Yes I took time to follow your suggestion, Stobart website contact redirects to Aer Lingus who handle all communications relating to ALR flights, so a waste of time.

SB
    In an ideal world yes, but airlines tend to keep staff costs as low as possible and so I’d say they have nowhere near the man power to actually follow up issues as thoroughly as they probably should. The complaints departments is not a priority for any airline, but keeping a costs low and therefore fares is what’s king, airlines aren’t know for their customer service departments!

• Advertisement

Well they really are two faced then as what you say goes totally against their company mission statement which I quote:

"We support and trust each other in an open and respectful manner. We actively seek feedback on our performance and behaviour and engage in constructive dialogue."

SB

Well they really are two faced then as what you say goes totally against their company mission statement which I quote:

"We support and trust each other in an open and respectful manner. We actively seek feedback on our performance and behaviour and engage in constructive dialogue."

SB

Sure every airline and big company has these bulls#it statements, worth very little in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Surely deleting pics/vids these days is futile when everything is backed up on cloud/Google/Dropbox etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

john boye wrote: »
    Surely deleting pics/vids these days is futile when everything is backed up on cloud/Google/Dropbox etc?

Those backups are often set to happen on wifi only, not every airline has wifi and even if they do it's not normally available until well into the climb.

I've seen a member of the cabin crew tackle someone for videoing them doing their safety presentation. She just said "You have to stop that and delete it" and watched the person delete it before carrying on. I've also seen crew stop a demo to have a stern word with two grown women who were laughing and mimicking the actions. She told them it was an intimidating enough thing to stand up and do without being laughed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

...........I would like to think that somewhere within Stobart/Aer Lingus there might be individuals that would like to know how they are failing as a company, or are you saying 100% of the management don't give a toss?........
    Sorry to hear of your experience on that EIR flight. Defo sounds like someone who shouldn’t have been in work that day.
    Unfortunately from following the Aerclub thread I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. Recent anecdotal info indicates the template response mentioned by Locker10a will be the best you can expect.

Just to cover the “no photo or videography” regulation; EI used to have a line in their inflight mag to cover this. Not sure if it’s still there, my recollection goes back over 10 years. When I was with them I had a TV journalist try to argue that he was permitted to video in the cabin as “personal camcorders” were permitted. I firmly pointed out that a 3 foot camera needing to be held on your shoulder was not a “personal camcorder”

Modern recording devices must be pretty nigh impossible to police in a crowded aircraft.

Aviation law also covers them as when you book you agree to comply with their Ts&Cs, the primary rule being along the lines of “you must comply with any instruction from the captain or his representative”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Stuff is often done on the ground. My phone sends everything to google as soon as it is taken.

I would say most stuff happens when between the gate and take off.

Agree with this. Some of the examples in this thread happened during boarding etc when phones would still be in coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I used to film on board, until I was asked to stop by crew. I have even been asked to stop filming through the window.
    SB
    Can you tell us what airline(s) stopped you from filming?

Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I think OP is perfectly correct to lodge a complaint, even if it's not fully taken on board, EI may look at it if there's several.

The attitude of "they won't listen so no point trying" is a very negative attitude that won't ever achieve much imo.

Hi All

After a bit more digging I think I know why I am not getting any communications from Aer Lingus. There is no complaints department at the moment they are moving the jobs abroad, this is from the Independent:

Fearghal O'Connor

December 24 2017 2:30 AM

Staff at Aer Lingus's Dublin-based complaints department have been offered a choice between possible redeployment as cabin crew or voluntary severance.

Last month this newspaper reported how the airline's chief operating officer, Mike Rutter, had made the shock announcement that the department is to be relocated to the United States in February as part of the establishment there of a new Global Guest Relations Service Centre.

Staff at Aer Lingus's Dublin-based complaints department have been offered a choice between possible redeployment as cabin crew or voluntary severance.

Last month this newspaper reported how the airline's chief operating officer, Mike Rutter, had made the shock announcement that the department is to be relocated to the United States in February as part of the establishment there of a new Global Guest Relations Service Centre.

I'm amazed that this got past the unions with no hullabaloo -Aer Lingus getting rid of Irish staff and their jobs going to Mr. Trump's jurisdiction :)

So in summery:

I booked a flight on Aer Lingus website.

Got terrible customer service.

Turned out the staff are employed by Stobart.

Complained to Aer Lingus as they handle Stobart complaints.

No reply - chased - Still no reply..

Turns out the Irish Aer Lingus complaints department is in the process of being relocated to America and the service outsourced.. Staff moral at a low with possible strike action.

This is all being done to "improve efficiency" according to Aer Lingus. What bollox.

SB

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this got past the unions with no hullabaloo -Aer Lingus getting rid of Irish staff and their jobs going to Mr. Trump's jurisdiction :)
    I personally love the corporate BS of “it’s not outsourcing as the new staff will be direct EI employees” Oh that makes it OK.

Personally as a customers I would have an issue calling an Irish/EU airline to be met with a US customer care rep. The 2 jurisdictions have markedly different aviation cultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Outsourcing customer care has always been a truly terrible idea. Companies who have call centers abroad are generally renowned for terrible customer service. You see companies like Three moving their customer care back to Ireland, and hence increasing their market share. Now obviously customer care lines are more important for a phone company than an airline, but if you want a good way to piss off your customer base this is one of them!

They're moving to the US, will this even save much money?

• Advertisement

So in summery:

I booked a flight on Aer Lingus website.

Got terrible customer service.

Turned out the staff are employed by Stobart.

Complained to Aer Lingus as they handle Stobart complaints.

No reply - chased - Still no reply..

Turns out the Irish Aer Lingus complaints department is in the process of being relocated to America and the service outsourced.. Staff moral at a low with possible strike action.

This is all being done to "improve efficiency" according to Aer Lingus. What bollox.

SB
    Sadly none of this surprises me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

OP

Send them a tweet or a facebook post a few shares can often react a swift response

I've only had reason to compliment Aer Lingus in the past

We we're travelling with a disabled aunt and they rejigged seats and made her as comfortable as possible I tweeted them and they replied straight away

Bazzy wrote: »
    OP

Send them a tweet or a facebook post a few shares can often react a swift response

I've only had reason to compliment Aer Lingus in the past

We we're travelling with a disabled aunt and they rejigged seats and made her as comfortable as possible I tweeted them and they replied straight away

OK, I will Tweet them and update here with any news.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Lots of airlines have this policy. Aer Lingus do have it printed in their magazine onboard that videoing or photographing inside the cabin/crew is not permitted. I was on an emirates flight recently coming back to Ireland and the crew nearly jumped over me to stop the lady taking pictures of the cabin.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Not sure where to post this and don’t think it’s worthy of a new thread..

How can these travel awards have any meaning if the main sponsor wins everything in their category. A farce...

Not sure where to post this and don’t think it’s worthy of a new thread..

How can these travel awards have any meaning if the main sponsor wins everything in their category. A farce...
    You wouldn't want to pay any attention to any of these "best" type travel awards or silly Which rankings. The multi-millions of ordinary passengers don't vote on such matters.

Advertisement