Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Fake watch

Options
  • 14-01-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My husband has bought a watch for me, It has diamonds on case either side and on face.

He found it at a very VERY good price. Was described as authentic. looks perfect, serial number on the back, warranty card but not stamped.

The watch looks absolutely genuine, but I can't shake off the feeling that it is fake.Purely based on price, nothing else. And the fact that though the box it came in looks perfect, the watch inside was sort of covered in plastic protection.

I contacted Tissot UK, and they told me the model number and serial numbers are Tissot numbers, but I read somewhere on web that a lot of fakes have genuine serial numbers engraved on the back, and they agreed with this when I pointed that out. Now the only way to tell is to pull it apart and see the inside.

Tissot UK have agreed to collect and return the watch by courier, at no charge to myself, and check. Fab service. Well if they find it is genuine I will be totally gobsmacked, but if it is a fake, surely they wont send it back?? Will they keep and destroy? How will we get our money back from the seller?

Just want to say..........I do not think hubby is a cheapskate, watch was still pricey :) and also, courier is coming on Monday!
    Any advice please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Was it bought on line/in shop/private sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you like the watch? Are you planning to sell it on?

I wouldn't go poking the sleeping dog on this if you like it and aren't planning to sell it on. Plenty of fakes around but there is also a solid second market so the price may not be too unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

Where did he buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

vandriver wrote: »
    Where did he buy it?

Bought from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Do you know where he got it from? If is a reputable place proof of purchase and an email from tissot would surely be enough for a refund and you would hope they would make it clear they were investigating what happened. If he got from some random watch seller can't imagine you'll hear from them you might have to report it as fraud and let the gardai deal with it.

With any luck tissot come back and say it's fine and it just turns out you have a canny hubby!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it is fake and you send it back it will be destroyed.

How was the watch paid for? If by credit/debit card and it is fake you can do a charge back with evidence from Tissot. If paid cash then not much you can do.

dragona wrote: »
    Bought from Amazon

From amazon or on the market place do you know?

L1011 wrote: »

I wouldn't go poking the sleeping dog on this if you like it and aren't planning to sell it on. Plenty of fakes around but there is also a solid second market so the price may not be too unreasonable.

Yes I like it, but if its a fake...... also not totally cheap but VERY discounted.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it is fake and you send it back it will be destroyed.

How was the watch paid for? If by credit/debit card and it is fake you can do a charge back with evidence from Tissot. If paid cash then not much you can do.

That is what I thought.

L1011 wrote: »

€1000 ish off ? Found it on sale at €1300 ! Methinks too much of a discount

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    From amazon or on the market place do you know?

no idea.....whats the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Possible over inflated RRP listed to make the discount seem higher? Tissot wouldn't be a brand that is very attractive to counterfeiters either.

Time wrote: »
    Possible over inflated RRP listed to make the discount seem higher? Tissot wouldn't be a brand that is very attractive to counterfeiters either.

That what I thought maybe but looking online it is priced at that high. It was not marked as discounted, just at the low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

no idea.....whats the difference

One is sold by Amazon, so will be genuine product.
    Marketplace is where 3rd party sellers will also sell the same product.
    Most are genuine but some could be newly registered seller selling stolen or fake products for big discount.

Marketplace then. Some excellent reviews, some not so good.Totally confused.

sugarman wrote: »
    Really not that unusual if it's an end of line clearance, I see plenty of last seasons older models with 50%.

Wow then. I guess I will have to wait and see. If it comes back legit I will be gobsmacked.

Wow then. I guess I will have to wait and see. If it comes back legit I will be gobsmacked.

The rrps on watches can be inflated that much so they appear great value then throw in a but extra for a sale and it doesn't look to far off. Fingers crossed that is the case!

sugarman wrote: »
    Really not that unusual if it's an end of line clearance, I see plenty of last seasons older models with 50% off.

Exactly, got a seiko off Amazon (not from the marketplace) for 50% less than anywhere else just before xmas, its a discontinued model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Timepiece rrp's are the biggest fakes out there - nearly as bad as Tesco's "Half Price Wine" rrp's. :)

Enter the model number and see what it is being sold out generally around the world.

You'll probably find that the price paid is not far off the price generally available.

Whilst not as prevalent here, in the USA almost every watch has at least 50% off "rrp" - walk into any department store including Macy's & Nordstrom and the watch dept will have 40% off, 50% off and 60% off signs everywhere ALL the time.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Timepiece rrp's are the biggest fakes out there - nearly as bad as Tesco's "Half Price Wine" rrp's. :)

Enter the model number and see what it is being sold out generally around the world.

You'll probably find that the price paid is not far off the price generally available.

Well that the thing, I did exactly that. It is being sold for that high price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Well that the thing, I did exactly that. It is being sold for that high price.

Everywhere?

Key "usa" with name and model and see what price in usa.

Amazon have stringent checks on sellers. You'd get away with it once or twice, but not a chance long term

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Everywhere?

Key "usa" with name and model and see what price in usa.

Amazon have stringent checks on sellers. You'd get away with it once or twice, but not a chance long term

ok https://www.authenticwatches.com/tissot-generosi-t-t0073091111601.html#.WlvQ_ahl-00

https://www.amazon.ca/TISSOT-GENEROSI-T-DIAMONDS-T007-309-11-116-01-WOMENS/dp/B00685P736

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

tedpan wrote: »
    It's on eBay for around 400euro. So if it was on sale for around 300e it's not to unlikely it's real.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152762548815

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ladies watches are much more fashion driven than men's watches. Not inconceivable that there could be a high level of discount to shift older stock.

Let Tissot examine it, and then you can decide what to do. If it does turn out to be counterfeit, contact Amazon and deal with them.

Same watch here Here, priced 1460 new, and from experience there always movement on the price, so 1300 is totally realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

So for the elimination of any doubt...did you pay €300 for it?

• Advertisement

Time wrote: »
    Same watch here Here, priced 1460 new, and from experience there always movement on the price, so 1300 is totally realistic.

That's the one. The courier has collected it so on its way to Tissot to check authenticity.

Advertisement