Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudd Native??

Options
  • 14-01-2018 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Are rudd native??? i was always told that the only native fish to Ireland were trout/ salmon /eels and pike are, depending what your view on them is. All the other coarse fish were introduced ie bream, tench etc... But i was talking to an angler last week and he reckoned Rudd are native. He said they found rudd bones in old stone age excavations. So i had a look through and rudd are classed a native on the Angling Ireland page.

I think Rudd are one of the most beautiful fish when they turn gold. And they are a welcome catch on canals, as roach have seemed to push them out in a lot of places.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/coarse/rudd.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

Pike are not native fish species but were introduced many moons ago. Only found that recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

The only 'native' fish that I was ever aware of were fish that could deal with salinity after the ice age, ie trout salmon char eels lamprey sturgeon and sticklebacks.
    Depends on your definition of native though I'm sure there were fish native to Ireland that were lost during the ice age.

I think Rudd are one of the most beautiful fish when they turn gold. And they are a welcome catch on canals, as roach have seemed to push them out in a lot of places.

imo the most beautiful fish in Irish waters. Starting to catch more and more of them recently while out fly fishing in lakes I've never seen them in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

Pike are not native fish species but were introduced many moons ago. Only found that recently.

"Results from this informative research have shown that the colonisation history is more complex, with an indication that they may have colonised naturally some thousands of years ago." -IFI. 2013

https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-releases/new-study-reveals-pike-native-to-ireland.html

If you like fishing Pike I wouldn't be perpetuating that myth that they're not native. Them being classed as native by IFI might be something we're pointing to in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

viper123 wrote: »
    imo the most beautiful fish in Irish waters. Starting to catch more and more of them recently while out fly fishing in lakes I've never seen them in before.

theres a spot on the canal i know where theyre in good numbers.. floating casters or bread off the top are a great way to catch them...I might try and target them more this summer.. They fight harder than roach too for their size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The only 'native' fish that I was ever aware of were fish that could deal with salinity after the ice age, ie trout salmon char eels lamprey sturgeon and sticklebacks.
    Depends on your definition of native though I'm sure there were fish native to Ireland that were lost during the ice age.

In that case you can add the Allis and Twait Shad to that list ;);)

Kat1170 wrote: »
    In that case you can add the Allis and Twait Shad to that list ;);)

I wouldn't call them native freshwater fish. No different to flounder, bass, mullet, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I wouldn't call them native freshwater fish. No different to flounder, bass, mullet, etc.

But none of those have to travel into fresh water in order to breed.

Advertisement