Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Restaurant

Options
  • 14-01-2018 7:38pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey
    Looking for recommendations for dining in Donegal, for a special occasion? Anything in particular stand out from the crowd? Had a look on TripAdvisor, just wanted to see what others suggest :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Harveys Point or Lough Eske?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Isn't Harry's Bar in Bridgend supposed to be very good?

Never been there myself but I'm sure I've heard rave reviews....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Haven't eaten in it for a few years now, but it was very nice from memory.

Maybe not 'special' enough for a special occasion?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

NIMAN wrote: »
    Harveys Point or Lough Eske?

Staying in Lough Eske. Menu seemed a little too "five star" if that makes any sense! I enjoy the hotel quality but I find for dinner I prefer a more typical restaurant as the hotels can go a bit mad menu wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

closed

Solis Lough eske castle

Oops just saw your post imo no really high end restaurants Indian, 2 Italians, Mexican and quay west (if you can get an upstairs window seat)
    but the food is good but not really exceptional imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gaia Mother Earth

I would recommend the Italian Trattoria Toscana in Donegal Town over other restaurants in the town.

I wouldn't be a meat drowned in gravy and spuds kinda person which is what a lot of local restaurants cater for.

If you're here in March, Aroma in the Craft Village opens back up again. Absolutely sublime food, even though it's a cafe. Highly recommend.

The Bar food in Solis is actually quite good. They seem to have changed their menu but don't have it updated on their site from what I see.

Another favourite during the day is Ahoy Cafe in Killybegs which seems to open all year around. Gorgeous seafood and homemade too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

+1 for Toscana mentioned above, love that place.

If your group like Indian food, then Chandpur is very good also, has won a fair few awards.

I quite like the Harbour Restaurant. Been there a few times more recently and the food has been very good with fresh desserts too.

Manhattan Steakhouse is quite good also and has a cocktail bar.

The Abbey Hotel restaurant (Market House) recently got a big makeover and I've been told it's good, but not been there in a while. Similarly, the Olde Castle Bar is supposed to have good food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Oh forgot just go to the mexican for the churros with tequila toffee sauce and the day of the dead decor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't eaten in it for a few years now, but it was very nice from memory.

Maybe not 'special' enough for a special occasion?

Harrys has been closed for about a year or more now

The Red Door in Fahan is brilliant but it is expensive but well worth it Have been to a few weddings there also and the food was second to none

• Advertisement

Forgot about the Red Door, only there twice but beautiful meals both times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sully wrote: »
    Staying in Lough Eske. Menu seemed a little too "five star" if that makes any sense! I enjoy the hotel quality but I find for dinner I prefer a more typical restaurant as the hotels can go a bit mad menu wise!

Going by the size of breakfast and the options they have, you'll not have much room from dinner! :)

If you like fish, then the Olde Castle Bar / Restaurant is excellent and right in the centre of the town.

Within the hotel, eat in the bar. Reasonably priced and good choice. Venison Shank is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I live on lower Inishowen - outside Burnfoot.
    Harrys hasn't really closed, but moved their business to craft village in Derry - an awful pity.
    Red Door is very good.
    Beach House in Buncrana is good, with nice location.

mgkelly wrote: »
    Harrys hasn't really closed, but moved their business to craft village in Derry - an awful pity.
    Red Door is very good.

Just read in the paper yesterday that they are now closing in the craft village as well and anyone with vouchers would be redemed in harry's shack in some part of the north.

The Beach house closed down at the end of August

lulu1 wrote: »
    Red Door is very good.

Just read in the paper yesterday that they are now closing in the craft village as well and anyone with vouchers  would be redemed in harry's shack in some part of the north.

The Beach house closed down at the end of August
    Jeepers creepers! Pity about Beach House, tho' it never seemed very busy.
    Surprised at Harrys. In the first instance, thought their business at Bridgend was busy enough. Was surprised when they moved to Derry. Then, heard good reports from Derry. Just not the market, is that the problem? Thought the economy was on the way up? Not in the NW!

Jeepers creepers! Pity about Beach House, tho' it never seemed very busy.
    Surprised at Harrys. In the first instance, thought their business at Bridgend was busy enough. Was surprised when they moved to Derry. Then, heard good reports from Derry. Just not the market, is that the problem? Thought the economy was on the way up? Not in the NW!

The beach house couldn't have been in a better spot.

Just read it in the Inish Times yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭Firblog

Went into 'The House gastro pub' in Donegal Town last week, only ordered the fish n chips myself which was good, but the OH went for a pork belly starter and I have to say it was the best bit of food I've tasted in a while, so good I ate half of what was on the plate :pac:

The ambience wasn't great, but got parked beside a nice fire on a wet windy Wednesday night.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Firblog wrote: »
    Went into 'The House gastro pub' in Donegal Town last week, only ordered the fish n chips myself which was good, but the OH went for a pork belly starter and I have to say it was the best bit of food I've tasted in a while, so good I ate half of what was on the plate :pac:

The ambience wasn't great, but got parked beside a nice fire on a wet windy Wednesday night.
    It's somewhere I must try sometime soon. I do think they could've picked a better name, but wouldn't mind if the food was great! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So with the weather on the day and me not feeling the best, we opted to eat in at the hotel. Staff were very friendly but it took an age service wise. Had to wait for the only one person that had the role of seating customers to come free. An hour before we got our starters served (we got an apology) too which didn't help. The waitress forgot a second round of drinks and had to be reminded but she didn't acknowledge any delay. Went in for 8.30 got out at 11pm!

Herself had Chicken and I had Steak. Sides Chips and Mash. No fault with food just pricey and doesn't stand out anymore than you're average restaurant serving chicken or a steak imo. Just didn't feel it was worth the price - 38 for a fillet steak seemed just mad!

Breakfast funnily enough was slow service wise too, just for being seated and everyone waiting was apologised to as they were being seated and when they left.

Very nice hotel . Happily go back again and stay!

So with the weather on the day and me not feeling the best, we opted to eat in at the hotel. Staff were very friendly but it took an age service wise. Had to wait for the only one person that had the role of seating customers to come free. An hour before we got our starters served (we got an apology) too which didn't help. The waitress forgot a second round of drinks and had to be reminded but she didn't acknowledge any delay. Went in for 8.30 got out at 11pm!

Herself had Chicken and I had Steak. Sides Chips and Mash. No fault with food just pricey and doesn't stand out anymore than you're average restaurant serving chicken or a steak imo. Just didn't feel it was worth the price - 38 for a fillet steak seemed just mad!

Breakfast funnily enough was slow service wise too, just for being seated and everyone waiting was apologised to as they were being seated and when they left.

What hotel was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm disappointed to hear the Beach House is gone. I lived in Buncrana for a while and anytime I went there, the food was excellent. Gorgeous views too.

Harry's was closed by the Health Board if I'm not mistaken.

I'm disappointed to hear the Beach House is gone. I lived in Buncrana for a while and anytime I went there, the food was excellent. Gorgeous views too.

Harry's was closed by the Health Board if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just didn't feel it was worth the price - 38 for a fillet steak seemed just mad!
    Damn! I have a voucher and was planning on eating (fillet steak) there in a couple of weeks time so by the time I get a sweet that will be the voucher gone and mrs muffler will have to pay for whatever she wants :P Seriously though that is a bit pricey. Its about a year ago since I had the steak there and it was €28 I think then.

Glad to hear you would visit again Sully. Hope you enjoyed the break.

I assume that was Lough Eske? Long time to wait on food, though maybe I'm a philistine!
    "Harry's was closed by the Health Board if I'm not mistaken."
    You mean environmental health? Or, did they have an outbreak? This the Derry version?

Has anyone ever been to Nancy's Barn in Ballyliffen? Have not been myself but they say it's good

What hotel was it?

Lough Eske Castle :)

Has anyone ever been to Nancy's Barn in Ballyliffen? Have not been myself but they say it's good

Although close to me, never been in it.
    It is well reviewed though, I hear lots of good reports on it.

And don't forget, its the world seafood chowder champion as well.

If in that area, could also try the Rusty Nail in Clonmany direction, was very impressed by the meal I got in there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I went there last year to try the chowder. It's worth going for that alone.

Advertisement