Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browning A 500 G (how bad are they)

Options
  • 14-01-2018 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I have been tempted by a browning A 500 G . (Gas) nor the (R) model.

What I like about it.
    Versatile with 28" barrel and 3 chokes.
    Nice looking. (To me anyway)
    Made in Belgium (assembled in Portugal)
    I like the angle of the stock .
    Good price.

What I dont like about it.
    Parts not made in 20 years.
    Supposed to be temperamental with light loads.
    Very bad reviews.

Would a budget brand like a Hatsan be a better option ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

You could still pick up a beretta 302 or 303. One of the best semi's ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

gunny123 wrote: »
    You could still pick up a beretta 302 or 303. One of the best semi's ever made.

I cant hit anything with berettas and i have had a couple. I am told its something to do with tne angle of the stock or height of the action or something.
    I have good success with Miroku and Browning I cant explain it maybe someone else can.
    As a brand I like beretta and their style but as a gun they seem to feel wrong for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

What about a browning sporting gold or silver ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I know of a proper fully functional 1969 Liege built 3" A5 sitting somewhere. Long recoil, all friction rings present and working.

pm. wrote: »
    What about a browning sporting gold or silver ?

Looking into a gold at the moment.......

• Advertisement

I know of a proper fully functional 1969 Liege built 3" A5 sitting somewhere. Long recoil, all friction rings present and working.

That wouldn't have multichokes in that year would it ?

Visconti wrote: »
    That wouldn't have multichokes in that year would it ?

No, if I remember correctly it's 1/2 choke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Great guns the old A5 (not the recent ones), the only magazine fed shotgun i would bother with. Used in the jungles of Malaysia by the British during the uprising, very tough gun.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Great guns the old A5 (not the recent ones), the only magazine fed shotgun i would bother with. Used in the jungles of Malaysia by the British during the uprising, very tough gun.

Since they were essentially the first autoloader shotgun to meet military and law enforcement demands for reliability and ruggedness they have seen far more use in their century of existence than just in the jungles of Malaysia.

They were for example used in a dedicated mount by the USAAF for anti-aircraft gunnery training for heavy bomber machine gunners in WWII.

Don't worry, the one I was on about hasn't seen that sort of high intensity use...

Advertisement