Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to source oak panels

• 14-01-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I've seen a few oak feature walls that I like and I am wondering where would I go to get one made?

I'm guessing any carpenter could fit them? So I am wondering is there a shop\company I can go to who will provide me with the oak and finish that I am looking for? Any where around Dublin preferably.

c7fa68c630f22eeb9b82d6f33c411806_loft_apartment_decorating_modern_apartment_decor.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Ooops. This is all covered in the sticky thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=237434? I go to a place like http://www.woodworkers.ie/ and they should be able to produce the panels and then I get a carpenter to fit them?

Anyone have a rough idea of what I'd pay for Oak panels in the pic above to cover a wall 4m x 2.6m? I'm guessing I'd be looking at four 1m x 2.6m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »

Thanks! Would I get the exact same effect using MDF with oak veneer?

Or with MDF oak veneer I am stuck with whatever finish\colour it comes with. Whereas by going with solid oak I can get the exact colour I want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is little chance that picture is solid oak

It will be a engineered board with a veneer.

You can choose the oak that suits you best then stain or oil it to match your required finish look

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    There is little chance that picture is solid oak

It will be a engineered board with a veneer.

You can choose the oak that suits you best then stain or oil it to match your required finish look

Great, thanks! I've just started looking into this (with zero knowledge!) so apologies if questions are simple.

What is the best way for me to get a finish like this pic? Go to a company that does something like this or get a carpenter? Any suggestions of someone who could help guide me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my local hardware was telling me about something similar for a job I'm doing.
    he said Dublin veneer (not sure is that a company or not) do veneered sheets of plywood in all kinds of grades. he says they have super high grades that would work great for display panels like your doing.
    I havnt looked into it yet so don't know anything concrete yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I haven't seen them before (https://www.dpv.ie) - looks like they have a nice range!

I haven't seen them before (https://www.dpv.ie) - looks like they have a nice range!

Nice, I see they are made by Galtee Panels.

Is it a "Rift Cut" I want in order to get the effect similar the photo in my first post?

This is a "Rift Cut Oak" from Galtee (from their Facebook page)

184334_145498372179291_1950295_n.jpg?oh=7c0b181aac55e99971b99ba779490a78&oe=5AF57ADA

my local hardware was telling me about something similar for a job I'm doing.
    he said Dublin veneer (not sure is that a company or not) do veneered sheets of plywood in all kinds of grades. he says they have super high grades that would work great for display panels like your doing.
    I havnt looked into it yet so don't know anything concrete yet

When you say "super high grades" I am wondering what does this mean? Are there different grades (quality?) of the timber used for the veneer?

How do you tell a "high grade" from a "low grade"? Is there any description on the product?

You mention plywood. Is there a difference between getting veneer panels that are plywood based and those that are mdf based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

When you say "super high grades" I am wondering what does this mean? Are there different grades (quality?) of the timber used for the veneer?

How do you tell a "high grade" from a "low grade"? Is there any description on the product?

You mention plywood. Is there a difference between getting veneer panels that are plywood based and those that are mdf based?

its the figure in the grain that dictates the grade along with knots etc. same as solid timber.

ply will be a stronger product and better for joining together with screws etc

Has anyone any experiences with using Unilin decorative walls panels or their "ClickWall" panels see here. For a small area (4m wide) is there much difference between choosing their walls panel Vs their "ClickWall"?

Is the benefit of their "ClickWall" product just that it is easier\quicker to install? Or does it hide the joint line between panels better than if you just bought their normal wall panels?

Are there any drawbacks choosing an oak wood effect laminate over an oak veneer for wall panels? I got a sample of oak wood effect laminate from Unilin and they look pretty convincing!

Advertisement