Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One bed apartment electricity usage

Options
  • 14-01-2018 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to budget for moving apartment. The apartment is a one bed in Eustace Court, Dun Laoghaire. New build rated A2.

The electricity is via Pinergy so there is:

€145.58 Standing Charge
    €104.73 PSO Levy
    €136.71 Prepayment Service Fee

How many units should I expect to use on average per month?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm trying to budget for moving apartment. The apartment is a one bed in Eustace Court, Dun Laoghaire. New build rated A2.

The electricity is via Pinergy so there is:

€145.58 Standing Charge
    €104.73 PSO Levy
    €136.71 Prepayment Service Fee

How many units should I expect to use on average per month?

Its very difficult to give you a figure.
    For example-

What sort of heating does the unit have
    How many heaters does it have
    What temperature are you planning on keeping the unit at
    Are the adjoining units occupied (and heated) or unoccupied
    How many windows, what size and what aspect are there

Then- what is the water heating
    Do you plan on extensively using baths/showers etc at home- or what about the gym/work
    Are you cooking at home or predominantly eating out
    Are you going to be extensively at home- using items that may have high electrical draw (some power showers can be 3kw units, a kettle is 2kw, you might have 4-7 1-2kw heaters etc etc)

Its a little bit of a how long is a piece of string question- it depends on how you use electricity, how your neighbours use electricity (or heating) and then random factors- such as the size of windows, aspect etc etc

In general- an A2 rated unit- is very well insulated- and has good modern equipment installed. However, if it is electrical heated- the heating alone- could very well account for over half your electrical bill.

I'd hazard (randomly and without anything on which to backup my assertion) that your electrical bill (if your heating is electrical) would be somewhere in the 125-150 range per month (depending on a lot of factors).

Also Pinergy probably has the highest cost unit rate for electricity on the Irish market (their standard unit rate is 18.15 cent per kWh). It depends entirely- but it wouldn't be difficult to save a couple of hundred quid another supplier- for example the Bord Gais standard unit rate for electricity is currently 13.99 cent per kWh. Hop onto Bonkers.ie and put in your details and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Its very difficult to give you a figure.
    For example-

What sort of heating does the unit have
    How many heaters does it have
    What temperature are you planning on keeping the unit at
    Are the adjoining units occupied (and heated) or unoccupied
    How many windows, what size and what aspect are there

Then- what is the water heating
    Do you plan on extensively using baths/showers etc at home- or what about the gym/work
    Are you cooking at home or predominantly eating out
    Are you going to be extensively at home- using items that may have high electrical draw (some power showers can be 3kw units, a kettle is 2kw, you might have 4-7 1-2kw heaters etc etc)

Its a little bit of a how long is a piece of string question- it depends on how you use electricity, how your neighbours use electricity (or heating) and then random factors- such as the size of windows, aspect etc etc

In general- an A2 rated unit- is very well insulated- and has good modern equipment installed. However, if it is electrical heated- the heating alone- could very well account for over half your electrical bill.

I'd hazard (randomly and without anything on which to backup my assertion) that your electrical bill (if your heating is electrical) would be somewhere in the 125-150 range per month (depending on a lot of factors).

Also Pinergy probably has the highest cost unit rate for electricity on the Irish market (their standard unit rate is 18.15 cent per kWh). It depends entirely- but it wouldn't be difficult to save a couple of hundred quid another supplier- for example the Bord Gais standard unit rate for electricity is currently 13.99 cent per kWh. Hop onto Bonkers.ie and put in your details and have a look.

It'll be lower then that. We live in an a2 rated house. Two adults, 1 baby & kept warm. Everything is electric. Our summer bills are e55/month and winter about €110 max. We're paying about 16c a unit too as I haven't got around to changing it.

Simplest way to estimate it directly is to look at the ber itself. There should be an estimate of kwh/m2/yr on it, or look up what an a2 corresponds to in kwh/M2/yr then multiply by your number of m2 and your unit cost to get an estimated annual bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

It'll be lower then that. We live in an a2 rated house. Two adults, 1 baby & kept warm. Everything is electric. Our summer bills are e55/month and winter about €110 max. We're paying about 16c a unit too as I haven't got around to changing it.

Simplest way to estimate it directly is to look at the ber itself. There should be an estimate of kwh/m2/yr on it, or look up what an a2 corresponds to in kwh/M2/yr then multiply by your number of m2 and your unit cost to get an estimated annual bill.

Ber says not much
    live in an old cottage, livingroom, 4 bedrooms , bathroom and kitchen with no isolation single glass windows and doors storage heaters electric shower and a single stove in the living room
    Electric bills in winter 98 euro,s in summer 45 Euro,s a month

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get rid of pinergy and get a bill account. Pinergies prices are much dearer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    Get rid of pinergy and get a bill account. Pinergies prices are much dearer

They are among the most expensive in the market- the only selling point they have is a top-up meter- i.e. the tenant has no risk of a bill they can't afford landing on their doorstep. Its specifically aimed at social welfare tenants- which is why its so rare to find it in a privately let dwelling- as it would be a massive turn-off for prospective tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This sounds high to me. I used to live in a D-rated electrically heated apartment; I think it worked out at about 100 a month or less in the winter (including standing charge etc). I'd expect an A-rated to do a lot better.

EDIT: Just checked, it's less than I remember. 110-130 per two months, during the winter. Now, it was a small apartment, and I didn't keep it that warm, but >100 per month for a modern one just sounds like way too much.

Advertisement