Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring second car before first one expires

Options
  • 14-01-2018 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

I've had a look at other threads with similar situations. I know I can own and register more than one car, however I was looking for another insurance on a newer car assuming that I have a few years NCB. If I get insured on the newer car, can I declare my existing NCB or do I need for insurance on previous car to run out first?

Basically we're looking to buy a second car as the first one is unreliable, however we wanted to keep the old one running for now. My old insurance is up for renewal in my name and the new car would be in my name too. Can I insure both or do I lose one of the NCBs?
    Should I transfer the old car to partner's name and have him insure it himself instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I got a quote with AA today, and they actually lowered my premium because I will still have the use of my old van (which I'll be insured to drive TPFandT)

However I'd have to cancel my existing policy (good until October)

Its a particularly odd situation for me especially as the van is a commercial and they won't outright insure me on a new commercial (even TPFandT) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

OP, we have done the same, insurer accepted the case for applying the NCD built up by the driver and not the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I talked to 123.ie and Allianz. 123.ie would not take on customers without "driving experience", and therefore would not insure my second car as I'd be using NCD on the first and wouldn't even have a document to show any other "driving experience" for the second, and according to them that would make me a brand-spanking-new driver. Preposterous, but that's the situation.
    The only solution was really to put car in hubby's name and with an insurance that accepts named driver experience.

Advertisement