Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs - the new Wales manager

• 14-01-2018 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

BBC breaking news reports he will be unveiled as Wales boss on Monday.
    Ryan Giggs is set to be confirmed as the new Wales manager on Monday.

The Football Association of Wales has called a news conference for Monday afternoon in Cardiff, where the former Manchester United winger is expected to be unveiled.

Provided there is no late hitch, Giggs will be announced as the successor to Chris Coleman, who left for Sunderland in November.

Craig Bellamy, Osian Roberts and Mark Bowen were also interviewed.

The panel set up to conduct the search, led by FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford, is expected to put the finishing touches to the agreement on Monday morning.

The recruitment panel decision does not have to go to the ruling council of the association because they have full powers to make the choice.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42684241

It's also being reported now on Sky Sports News as well.

I wonder will this appointment go the way of the Staunton experiment? It's a good gig for him to take. It's hard to imagine this Welsh squad won't qualify for the Euros.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Lol

Just giving it Giggsy end of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

What has Giggs done to deserve the top job for a country who only 18 months ago were in the semi finals of the European Champuonships?

Bonkers decision by Welsh FA. Heart over the head there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I wonder if he'll turn up for their Friendly games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Real Madrid & Bayern Munich will be gutted such a quality manager is off the market this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    What has Giggs done to deserve the top job for a country who only 18 months ago were in the semi finals of the European Champuonships?

Bonkers decision by Welsh FA. Heart over the head there.

Their last manager left for Sunderland. It's that attractive a job that a broke and struggling Sunderland is viewed as more attractive proposition. It stands to reason that the calibrate of candidates interested will be below that of which the likes of Sunderland could attract.

I'd guess the money is terrible? Presumably if O'Neill went tomorrow, we'd have a better pool of interested candidates than Wales appear to have had. The O'Brien money aside, I don't think we're any better a proposition for a manager

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Their last manager left for Sunderland. It's that attractive a job that a broke and struggling Sunderland is viewed as more attractive proposition. It stands to reason that the calibrate of candidates interested will be below that of which the likes of Sunderland could attract.

I'd guess the money is terrible? Presumably if O'Neill went tomorrow, we'd have a better pool of interested candidates than Wales appear to have had. The O'Brien money aside, I don't think we're any better a proposition for a manager

Yeah O'Neill was on 4 times what Coleman was earning. Scandalous what we offer Martin really:pac:

Strange appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

BBC breaking news reports he will be unveiled as Wales boss on Monday.

It's also being reported now on Sky Sports News as well.

I wonder will this appointment go the way of the Staunton experiment? It's a good gig for him to take. It's hard to imagine this Welsh squad won't qualify for the Euros.

If evidence is needed that international football is fvcked and that nobody gives a sh1te anymore, this is it.

What a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, thats the end of the Welsh purple patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Yeah O'Neill was on 4 times what Coleman was earning. Scandalous what we offer Martin really:pac:

All saleries in football are scandalous. That said, there aren't many that could take a squad a limited as ours, and fourth seeds at that, out of groups. It may be ugly but it gets results that a manager on a quarter of the salary with a better squad couldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Laughable appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't see it ending well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In fairness Mark Hughes and Gary Speed were similar appointments and they both worked out to be good ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Personally I don't think it will be a great appointment for Wales but I never did expect wales (Bale or Bust) to keep preforming at the level they had either. For Giggs it's good though as he needs more experience and he will get it here, if the results are at least average (as its not like Wales have always been doing so well) he could get another job after it at around the same level he would take if offered now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Farcical appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's meaningless.

Either Bale is fit, or he isn't. That's far more important to how good Wales are than any manager.

Same as it was under Coleman.

sligeach wrote: »
    Farcical appointment.

Yes.

However, as I mentioned yesterday, who passes much heed on International football nowadays. Once upon a time, it was an elite competition, and you genuinely had to 'step up' to international football.
    Now, most international games are probably at or lower than the English championship. It's also a part time job, in spite of what the fai/martin of Neill will tell you.
    Look at the level of coaches involved of late around these parts, Giggs, Martin O', Michael O, Strachan, Matinez (Belgium), even Big Sam.... All these have topped out in the nether regions of the EPL, not within an asses roar of a champions league team, let alone a league title.
    It's either a retirement home, or a young coach trying to get a short cut to a big job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes.

However, as I mentioned yesterday, who passes much heed on International football nowadays. Once upon a time, it was an elite competition, and you genuinely had to 'step up' to international football.
    Now, most international games are probably at or lower than the English championship. It's also a part time job, in spite of what the fai/martin of Neill will tell you.
    Look at the level of coaches involved of late around these parts, Giggs, Martin O', Michael O, Strachan, Matinez (Belgium), even Big Sam.... All these have topped out in the nether regions of the EPL, not within an asses roar of a champions league team, let alone a league title.
    It's either a retirement home, or a young coach trying to get a short cut to a big job.

Ain’t no Championship side getting out of a group at the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

It’d be funny if he turns out to be a brilliant manager.

I mean Zidane got the biggest job in football based on little to no experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ridiculoua appointment that hasn't gone down well back home in Wales, i know 2 lads very well who go to every Wales game, home and away, and they're going nuts at this decision,, majority of the Welsh fanbase didn't want gigs anywhere near the job, the man they wanted was Osian Roberts, Coleman's assistant

I heard him say this today in his press appearance, " ..... as a proud Welshman".

Yeah, so proud you couldn't be arsed turning up for a friendly in 9 years!

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard him say this today in his press appearance, " ..... as a proud Welshman".

Proud welshman me hole, first sniff of any PL job and he'll be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

scudzilla wrote: »

Depending on whose wife he is sniffing around of course.

scudzilla wrote: »

Any PL club gives this guy a job as manager, they'll be playing Championship football the following season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The jobs centre must have been on his back about not working. The guy seemed to have delusions of grandeur of what sort of job he "deserved" in the Premier League. Turned his nose up at championship downwards and didn't seem to be interested in other lower Premier League jobs, apart from what seemed a disastrous interview with Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The job was to be offered to his brother first, but Giggys stole in and slept with the entire welsh team behind his back first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Any PL club gives this guy a job as manager, they'll be playing Championship football the following season.

Please let him at United after Mourinho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, we'll see. Hughes had no experience and turned out to be a relatively good PL manager. This is the acid test for Giggs.

He has been angling for a top job for ages, not content to serve his time and learn the trade at lower levels. Seems like no PL team were willing to gamble on his so this makes sense both for Wales and Giggs.

For Wales, it really does come down to Bale, so the manager (assuming they are not totally genius or stupid) makes little real difference. But it is a big name and generates interest and the hope would be that plenty of players would opt to play under Giggs as he would to many of them be a hero of their youth.

For Giggs, it gives him a high level position without all the high level pressure of the PL. If Wales qualify he is a genius, if not then he did as well as he could given the pool of players he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

promoting players to management has been going on for years, and often successfully:

Zidane
    Dalglish
    Lennon
    Staunton

International mgmt is largely about motivation and picking the right players (on in Wales case, picking Bale). Giggs could be a good appointment - I'd imagine the FAW are also concerned with generating public interest in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

brevity wrote: »

like a sh*t seminar about trees or summat, dry as f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Will Jason Koumas stand in for him during friendlies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brevity wrote: »

Christ. Its like the manager pointed at some lad and said "give a team talk" but the lad hadn't a clue what to say so just trotted out some inane rubbish.

Thats a team talk for one of the worlds biggest clubs, I've heard far more motivating and insightful speeches at junior B games.

• Advertisement

Esse85 wrote: »

Sad, especially when he says it should be the proudest day of his life as a father and now he can't even look at him.

Who needs enemies with a son like that.

Christ. Its like the manager pointed at some lad and said "give a team talk" but the lad hadn't a clue what to say so just trotted out some inane rubbish.

Thats a team talk for one of the worlds biggest clubs, I've heard far more motivating and insightful speeches at junior B games.

Looks like a pisstake.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Looks like a pisstake.

Sad thing is, its not.

I remember watching that full documentary a few years ago when it was on ITV. Even then this bit stood out for me as cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Hopefully his first and last job in mgt. He's a horrible person, and I really hope he never gets near Utd in any capacity again.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ain’t no Championship side getting out of a group at the World Cup.

Really??
    Are the ROI or Ni teams any better than championship level for instance???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Does this mean that he has to turn up for friendlies now?

Really strange decision, he has worked under some of the best managers in the game but he has hardly set the world on fire and has never been under the spotlight in the hotseat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

tbh what does a welsh manager learn by playing giggs in a friendly making 10+ subs

International friendlies are a joke fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Does this mean that he has to turn up for friendlies now?

Really strange decision, he has worked under some of the best managers in the game but he has hardly set the world on fire and has never been under the spotlight in the hotseat..

So what?

Everyone has to make a start somewhere.

Why not the most successful welsh man on the planet?

He's been managed by the best manager that's ever lived.

He's assisted one of the best managers in the world.

It's not a bad bloody foundation.

It's wales!

limnam wrote: »
    tbh what does a welsh manager learn by playing giggs in a friendly making 10+ subs

International friendlies are a joke fest.

During his 25yr United career he played for Wales 64 times, retiring from international football in '07, so in his 16yr international career he played, on average, 4 games a year

we don't want him as our boss, i'm a huge united fan but can't stand him, total yes man, sat on his cheating arse on the bench next to LVG all season, didn't move a muscle, then when he see's the knives are out for the mad old bastard he starts standing on the touchline like he knows what he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

limnam wrote: »
    So what?

Everyone has to make a start somewhere.

Why not the most successful welsh man on the planet?

He's been managed by the best manager that's ever lived.

He's assisted one of the best managers in the world.

It's not a bad bloody foundation.

It's wales!
    Hardly the most succesful Welshman ever..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87jWwzvwd8

• Advertisement
Advertisement