Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Giggs - the new Wales manager

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

scudzilla wrote: »
    During his 25yr United career he played for Wales 64 times, retiring from international football in '07, so in his 16yr international career he played, on average, 4 games a year

we don't want him as our boss, i'm a huge united fan but can't stand him, total yes man, sat on his cheating arse on the bench next to LVG all season, didn't move a muscle, then when he see's the knives are out for the mad old bastard he starts standing on the touchline like he knows what he's doing

Chris Coleman 32 caps

Mark Hughes 72

Who cares. It's not relevant.

Hardly the most succesful Welshman ever..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87jWwzvwd8

He's not done much in football though :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

limnam wrote: »
    He's assisted one of the best managers in the world.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    we don't want him as our boss, i'm a huge united fan but can't stand him, total yes man, sat on his cheating arse on the bench next to LVG all season, didn't move a muscle, then when he see's the knives are out for the mad old bastard he starts standing on the touchline like he knows what he's doing

The more pertinent point would be that with Giggs as a first team coach under LVG, United played by far the worst football I have ever seen from the club. If he wants to point to that on his CV he can't ignore the fact that he was obviously a failure in the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Listening to few different podcasts and they are all saying Bellamy did the better interview he is is also considered a really good coach at Cardiff.

Looks like the Welsh FA are taking a big gamble on Giggs name more than anything else.

The more pertinent point would be that with Giggs as a first team coach under LVG, United played by far the worst football I have ever seen from the club. If he wants to point to that on his CV he can't ignore the fact that he was obviously a failure in the role.

So if LVG had have been successful = Ryan Giggs was successful ?

Interesting.

I'm sure you don't need to be told that Ryan Giggs wouldn't be detecting to a manager the style of play......right?....right?

So if LVG had have been successful = Ryan Giggs was successful ?

Interesting.

I'm sure you don't need to be told that Ryan Giggs wouldn't be detecting to a manager the style of play......right?....right?

Yawn. If you think coaching has no influence on performance then we'll just stop all detecting right there.

Listening to few different podcasts and they are all saying Bellamy did the better interview he is is also considered a really good coach at Cardiff.

Looks like the Welsh FA are taking a big gamble on Giggs name more than anything else.

What's the gamble. They haven't qualified for a WC for 60 years.

What's another few going to do.

Yawn. If you think coaching has no influence on performance then we'll just stop all detecting right there.

"Yawn"

If you think it's that simplistic we'll stop here. As your view on football is too simplistic to generate anything near a worthwhile debate.

"Yawn"

If you think it's that simplistic we'll stop here. As your view on football is too simplistic to generate anything near a worthwhile debate.

Good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But on the same logic Giggs is easily the most qualified.

Coached a FA cup winning side. Coached a team that qualified for CL. Coached a team in the CL. Managed for 4 games in the PL. Coached a PL for a few seasons.

Against what, Bellamy in Cardiff City?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tbh what does a welsh manager learn by playing giggs in a friendly making 10+ subs

International friendlies are a joke fest.

Some might see it that way now, they weren't viewed that way when Giggs was missing them for 9 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Giggs had a lot of injury issues until his late twenties. He had to be managed correctly and it was agreed between United and the Welsh that friendlies were an unnecessary risk.

If he missed all the friendlies and still played 70 odd times it was undeniably a good arrangement.

Don’t think it’s a good job for him to take to be honest. You would think a young manager starting out would want to work in club management to really hone their skills and learn through experience. A game every few months is not going to give him the chance to find his own style of doing things, or way of dealing with players. He seems mentally work shy and unwilling to work his way up to the top, perhaps because it was so easy for him as a player.

I don’t think we’ll learn much about his management skills from this, and he probably won’t learn much either and he’ll find himself back in a similar position in a few years time. Even if he’s successful and takes Wales to a QF he still won’t be getting a top half PL job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hardly the most succesful Welshman ever..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S87jWwzvwd8

FFS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Giggs had a lot of injury issues until his late twenties. He had to be managed correctly and it was agreed between United and the Welsh that friendlies were an unnecessary risk.

If he missed all the friendlies and still played 70 odd times it was undeniably a good arrangement.

A good arrangement for him, not so much for Wales and certainly not the type of record that would give him any credibility were he to look for commitment to international football from his players.

I just don't see what Wales stand to gain from his appointment. He's not a popular figure, he has no experience, he was never fully committed to Wales and never achieved anything with them. If his experience as a coach was so well regarded, surely people like Mike Phelan or Steve Clarke would be in higher demand.

Like Steve Staunton, the appointment could go either way but irrespective it seems like a blind gamble taken on unrequited sentiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

LiamoSail wrote: »
    A good arrangement for him, not so much for Wales and certainly not the type of record that would give him any credibility were he to look for commitment to international football from his players.

I just don't see what Wales stand to gain from his appointment. He's not a popular figure, he has no experience, he was never fully committed to Wales and never achieved anything with them. If his experience as a coach was so well regarded, surely people like Mike Phelan or Steve Clarke would be in higher demand.

Like Steve Staunton, the appointment could go either way but irrespective it seems like a blind gamble taken on unrequited sentiment

What have they to gain? Exposure and probably sponsorship. Giggs is a celebrity, obviously a very famous player, and available. Will command column inches, and clicks in websites. If he does well, all the pro-Giggs/United lads will be all over it, if he crashes and burns, all the anti-giggs crew will be all out. Win win for the Wales FA.

• Advertisement

What have they to gain? Exposure and probably sponsorship. Giggs is a celebrity, obviously a very famous player, and available. Will command column inches, and clicks in websites. If he does well, all the pro-Giggs/United lads will be all over it, if he crashes and burns, all the anti-giggs crew will be all out. Win win for the Wales FA.

Wales targetting shirt sales in Ireland and China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

LiamoSail wrote: »

I agree. I think he has lost a lot of respect within the game as well as with fans. He seems very flaky to me. Can’t imagine him being much of a motivator based on his character as a player. He was never a natural leader or much of a talker.

I think Wales are absolutely crazy to put him in charge of their best ever team, with quality that they’re unlikely to ever have again.

Advertisement