Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History teaching opportunities and other questions

Options
  • 14-01-2018 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, TIA for any help given to me. I am writing this as I want to become a teacher.

I trained to be an MFL teacher in England a few years ago but dropped out as I realised that while I loved teaching I did not love teaching languages. There were more serious issues that led me to drop out also but I'd prefer not to delve into it more.

I love history and politics and they are the two subjects I would teach if I could. Are there many schools out there that need history/politics teachers? Or would I be better off trying to teach MFL? As well if I applied for teacher training programmes here would I be looked down on for not completing the HDip in England?

Finally where should I go to see if my modules from my undergraduate degree are enough to satisfy TCI requirements for entry onto teacher training courses? If I had to make up for lack of credits how could this be done? Are there part time/online courses etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Just feeling so lost at the minute and need some guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi all, TIA for any help given to me. I am writing this as I want to become a teacher.

I trained to be an MFL teacher in England a few years ago but dropped out as I realised that while I loved teaching I did not love teaching languages. There were more serious issues that led me to drop out also but I'd prefer not to delve into it more.

I love history and politics and they are the two subjects I would teach if I could. Are there many schools out there that need history/politics teachers? Or would I be better off trying to teach MFL? As well if I applied for teacher training programmes here would I be looked down on for not completing the HDip in England?

Finally where should I go to see if my modules from my undergraduate degree are enough to satisfy TCI requirements for entry onto teacher training courses? If I had to make up for lack of credits how could this be done? Are there part time/online courses etc?

Sorry for all the questions. Just feeling so lost at the minute and need some guidance.

Firstly, I would stick with MFL. Depending on where you choose to work, you should have no problem picking up work. History is not compulsory at Junior Cycle anymore and has been coupled with geography. Politics will be trialled from September so there won't be a demand for some years. If I were you, I would train as MFL teacher and you can add on history down the line.

I wouldn't worry too much about not completing the dip in England. If asked at interview just say due to personal issues, you couldn't finish. Life isn't perfect and if you do eventually do the PME, you can show your commitment to education.

To find out what subjects you would be registered to teach, check the Teaching Council website. If you don't have adequate credits, the Teaching Council can assess your degree and tell you what you need to do. There are online courses/diploma programmes in universities or if it's only a few credits, they are usually welcoming. I would recommend doing these while doing the PME as they won't be as expensive as you will be a student of the university and that will be taken into account. Also, the Teaching Council stance is that as long as you can register for one subject that is fine with them. It is up to a principal to decide what you teach.

Why did you not like teaching MFL?? PM if you want - I'm an MFL teacher.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Advertisement