Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Kingdom football sexual abuse scandal

• 15-01-2018 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

I think this is one of the most horrendous stories involving football in England to have ever emerged. :(

By 28 September 2017, the number of affected clubs had grown to 331, with 285 identified suspects and 784 alleged victims, arising from 2,028 referrals. :eek:

The trial of football coach and previously convicted pedophile Barry Bennell has begun in the last few days.
    He has been accused of saying at the time to one of his victims/players.
    "It wouldn’t matter, nobody would believe you. I’ve got people playing professional football now that I’ve done these things to - you’re nothing."
    Ex-football coach Barry Bennell ’predatory paedophile with unfettered access to boys’

The thing that struck me most is that this guy worked with Gary Speed.

At the inquest in 2012 into the death of Gary Speed, it was alleged that Speed and former Manchester United player Alan Davies had been "favourites" of Bennell, though there was no suggestion they had been abused by Bennell. Both players later took their own lives.

I hope that whatever justice can be served in this scandal will be delivered. And I hope that there are enough safeguards now in place that something like this won't happen again.

Advertisement