Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating books

• 15-01-2018 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there's anywhere in Limerick that would take a chunk of books? 50+
    Mostly chick lit or crime fiction.
    A lot of the charity shops don't seem to want them anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Parnell Street. Dochas. Autism Charity. Have taken anything I've brought them.

Unlike Limerick animal welfare who declined me on 4 separate ocassions with 4 different visits / types of items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I used to work for a charity in the city centre and people often brought in boxes of books to us even though we had no need for them. It got to the stage where we had no room for anymore and weren't using them so we had to start turning people away. I couldn't believe the attitudes of these people who used to get very annoyed when, in a polite way, we explained we weren't a dumping ground for their old rubbish.

I think your better off selling them online perhaps if you want to get rid of them or maybe try the library? They might take old books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

panda100 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the attitudes of these people who used to get very annoyed when, in a polite way, we explained we weren't a dumping ground for their old rubbish.

Mine are all in excellent condition so they're not actually rubbish that I'm trying to dump on anyone. I've just had a clear out and there's quite a few there that I know I won't read again and don't have any use for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Theres a box just inside in the library in at dooradoyle where you can leave good quality books as free to take away.
    Theres also a new charity shop in Roxboro shopping centre and I know they have books. Might not be over stocked yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm surprised that you are having difficulty in donating good books. I used to manage a number of charity shops, including dedicated book shops, and books are by far and away the best money makers. They are a total pita if they are not of saleable quality as they cost a lot to dispose of as charity shops have to pay commercial rates for waste disposal and aren't allowed to use recycling centres. And sadly children's books, even beautiful ones in perfect condition, are insanely hard to sell. But commercial fiction, especially if paperback, are about the best donation you can get apart from an Armani suit or a Toby Jug. Have you tried Oxfam, Cancer Research and St Vincent de Paul? Those three probably have the best looked after book departments of all the charity shops in Limerick, so should be most likely to take them.

The one thing that might be an issue is that an awful lot of people have clear outs in January and charity shops are absolutely inundated with stuff. It can also be a hard time of year to maintain a full compliment of volunteers. So it means that shops with small back rooms may have to turn donations away as they simply don't have room to store them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

iguana wrote: »

The one thing that might be an issue is that an awful lot of people have clear outs in January and charity shops are absolutely inundated with stuff. It can also be a hard time of year to maintain a full compliment of volunteers. So it means that shops with small back rooms may have to turn donations away as they simply don't have room to store them.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I have a friend of a friend who volunteers in a charity shop, and that's exactly what she said! Everyone seems to have decided to have a January clearout.

Advertisement