Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Visa?

• 15-01-2018 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, here's the deal. I want to stay in Australia while my brother works there. My brother has a Working Holiday Visa but I have been granted a Evisa. I was wondering the 3 months you are given can you keep renewing the visa? Like I was in Dubai a few years ago and I did a visa run and got 1 month each time. What should I do for Australia if I want to stay as a visitor? Also is it true that Australia pays good money? I was on indeed and was shocked to see that a retail job paid 1000 Dollars a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Robert Power

Where in Australia are you going. Bear in mind the vast vast majority of jobs won't be interested in you. Because you are on a 3 month visa they won't take you on and hire you because you aren't guaranteed to be there. Same applies with 12 month working holiday visa. Can you get a working holiday visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Where in Australia are you going. Bear in mind the vast vast majority of jobs won't be interested in you. Because you are on a 3 month visa they won't take you on and hire you because you aren't guaranteed to be there. Same applies with 12 month working holiday visa. Can you get a working holiday visa?

Just to add to this you also have no working rights while on a holiday visa so you would effectively be working illegally. Employers are liable for big fines for hiring someone without working rights and you may be forced with deportation and a ban from Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

With an eVisitor Visa you can enter and leave Australia as many times as you like during the 12-month period of the visa, but each stay must not be longer than 90 days. This means that from time to time during the year you'll need to leave Australia and then re-enter, but you don't need to do anything to renew, extend, etc your visa while you are out of the country; you already have a valid visa.

Note that you can enter Australia on day 364 of your visa, as it were, and then stay for 90 days, so by timing your exit and re-entry you can get nearly 15 months in Australia

When your eVisitor visa expires, you can apply for a new one. You have to be outside of Australia to do this.

If you want a visa that doesn't require you to leave every 90 days or more often, you'll need a Visitor Visa (subclass 600).

As others have pointed out, neither of these visas allow you to work in Australia. I'm not saying that it's impossible that you could find something in the black market, but you won't be picking up any $1,000-a-week jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Can only echo what said above.

On a tourist visa you cannot work. Period. You will be deported if caught and banned.

You may enter multiple times for up to 3 months. My mother is currently over there on her 4th visit this year. She's actually come home each time inbetween as it worked out in some cases cheaper than popping up to bali.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Thank you everyone for your time and reply. I apologise if I didn't get my point across correctly. There is a bit of misunderstanding.

You see I definitely don't want to work there on a tourist visa at all. My brother has a Working Holiday Visa and he wants to work there I on the other hand want to stay with him there on a tourist visa.

How can I renew the 3 month stay? Can I just fly to New Zealand and back for example?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Is there any reason why you wouldnt get a WHV too? Australia is a VERY expensive place to spend up to a year if you are not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . How can I renew the 3 month stay? Can I just fly to New Zealand and back for example?
    Yes. The drawback is that Australia is a long way from anywhere else, and flying to New Zealand (or any other convenient foreign jurisdiction) is more of an imposition, and more expensive, than would be the case if you could cross a convenient land border.

Thank you everyone for your time and reply. I apologise if I didn't get my point across correctly. There is a bit of misunderstanding.

You see I definitely don't want to work there on a tourist visa at all. My brother has a Working Holiday Visa and he wants to work there I on the other hand want to stay with him there on a tourist visa.

How can I renew the 3 month stay? Can I just fly to New Zealand and back for example?

So you want to spend a year living in a country as expensive to live in as Australia for a year with no income and you also want to spend hundreds of dollars every 3 months flying to New Zealand to renew your visa?
    Have you thought this through properly?
    Are you able to show you have enough funds for this if you are stopped at the airport?

To be honest on a WHV the only jobs he can get will be commission only telesales ( being told to f-off 9 hours a day including weekends for free) , and seasonal work. Employers don't and won't hire someone who isn't legally allowed to remain indefinitely. The WHV means you can only stay a maximum of 12 months with an employer so you can understand why they wouldn't go to the effort of hiring and training when the next fella might be a citizen.

To be honest on a WHV the only jobs he can get will be commission only telesales ( being told to f-off 9 hours a day including weekends for free) , and seasonal work. Employers don't and won't hire someone who isn't legally allowed to remain indefinitely. The WHV means you can only stay a maximum of 12 months with an employer so you can understand why they wouldn't go to the effort of hiring and training when the next fella might be a citizen.

Have you been to Australia on a whv? As someone who has previously worked as an electrician on a whv I would disagree with this. Plenty of people come to Australia on whv's and get decent jobs. It all depends on your qualifications and experience.

The maximum a person could work for an employer on a whv is 6 months but if they timed it right they could do their regional work for the second year visa in the first 6 months then get a job at the 6 month mark of their first whv and work for the last 6 months of that visa and the first 6 months of the second year visa allowing them to work for one employer for 12 months.

• Advertisement

Ok, if you don't want to work, yes you can just pop to Bali or Singapore. New Zealand has a reciprocal arrangement so that won't work.

As I said it can be majorly expensive hence my mother chooses to come home.

How will you support yourself for a year? Also not being smart but does your brother having chosen to go on a whv and presumably have that experience really want his sibling to look after. When you come back proving habitual residence will be hard.

This is all assuming that you haven't won lotto and are just taking off.

Oh and you won't get insurance on a tourist visa over 90 days

Yeah I've lived here 6 years and right now the only jobs out there are generally commission only. Retail etc won't touch WHV

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ninjarambohd

Apology everyone for the late reply I was away for a while. So here's the deal, I just want to stay there for about 7 or 8 months and return home again. I have saved up and have enough funds yes. I also have a question. Is there anyway one can get a working holiday visa changed to permanent residency after the 12 months or not even permanent residency, anyway to stay there longer and work after your Working Holiday Visa runs out? and last question, do you need a return ticket if you have a working holiday visa or does a one way ticket suffice? Thank you.

Apology everyone for the late reply I was away for a while. So here's the deal, I just want to stay there for about 7 or 8 months and return home again. I have saved up and have enough funds yes. I also have a question. Is there anyway one can get a working holiday visa changed to permanent residency after the 12 months or not even permanent residency, anyway to stay there longer and work after your Working Holiday Visa runs out? and last question, do you need a return ticket if you have a working holiday visa or does a one way ticket suffice? Thank you.

There are definitely ways to stay longer once the working holiday visa is finished but in general they are expensive routes and require a skill from a list like this:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/work/work/skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists

I don't mean any offence by this but you seem to have done so little research into this that I can't take you seriously. This isn't a holiday to the Canaries..you are going to the other side of the world.

Have a read of this and if you still have questions come back and ask:

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav

You get 2 years out of WHV if you do 3 months (88 days) regional work, eligible post codes are available online. 2 years is more than enough time, Oz is a very different place from Ireland you may not like it. It most definitely isn't just a sunny Ireland/Britain

Advertisement