Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get bullets made

Options
  • 15-01-2018 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im not actually looking for live ammunition, But I do need metalwork similar to bullets (brass) done.

Is there a company in Ireland or china anyone knows of that could do the work?

Obviously doesnt need to be an arms dealer either!! Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Any machine shop will be able to turn them on a lathe. What ya need them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What kind of quantity are you looking for? May help shape the type of advice offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Vegeta wrote: »
    What kind of quantity are you looking for? May help shape the type of advice offered.

About 2000 each in 4 sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Under Irish law you can't have actual bullet casings unless you have a license for that caliber, even spent casings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Under Irish law you can't have actual bullet casings unless you have a license for that caliber, even spent casings.
    It's not what he is after to be fair

• Advertisement

Bogwoppit wrote: »

Im using bullets as an example to be fair, the cases would never be powder worthy - they also need a hole in the top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You'd want deep pockets if you want 8000 fake bullets made from brass on a lathe and then drilled. Also, if they are made from brass, what are you going to use as the lead part of the bullet? Would you need to paint the tip of the bullet either grey or a copper colour?

ardinn wrote: »
    About 2000 each in 4 sizes.

8000 is a large amount. You're facing two issues I guess, supply and cost.

Getting spent rifle brass in those type of quantities is a supply problem, and that's ignoring what you'd need to do to them to render them legal to possess without a license.

A machine shop will produce whatever shape you want but as someone with no real experience in the field I can only imagine that it would not be cheap. That's the cost problem.

Maybe someone with a machining background might be able to post a very ballpark costing

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You'd want deep pockets if you want 8000 fake bullets made from brass on a lathe and then drilled. Also, if they are made from brass, what are you going to use as the lead part of the bullet? Would you need to paint the tip of the bullet either grey or a copper colour?

Dont need any lead - I need a weighted bullet shape piece of metal in various weights, Lead is too soft, but any harder metal really will do.

Something like this

22.jpg?t=1515940207

8000 is a large amount. You're facing two issues I guess, supply and cost.

Getting spent rifle brass in those type of quantities is a supply problem, and that's ignoring what you'd need to do to them to render them legal to possess without a license.

A machine shop will produce whatever shape you want but as someone with no real experience in the field I can only imagine that it would not be cheap. That's the cost problem.

Maybe someone with a machining background might be able to post a very ballpark costing

Yeah the cost in ireland would be too great, which is why I was also considering china - I have e-mailed a few weapons companies but I presume they would consider the order too small.

One told me they were concentrating more on missile defence these days!!!!

• Advertisement

I have e-mailed a few weapons companies but I presume they would consider the order too small.

I can't see the image linked above. Photobucket is complaining I think.

I'd focus on Chinese engineering or machining outfits. Weapons companies would be far more likely to ship you real empty brass for a rifle. This would get you in hot water very quickly here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Even if you were to just buy normal solid copper bullets (which you cannot import or process) 8000 would cost a fortune... a box of 50 is going to be between 40 -80 dollars. So about €7000 before shipping...
    And there is no point in contacting weapons companies because they cannot legally sell anything to you without a licence..
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/328792/lehigh-defense-controlled-fracturing-bullets-458-caliber-subsonic-458-diameter-570-grain-solid-brass-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943009/lehigh-defense-maximum-expansion-bullets-300-aac-blackout-308-diameter-subsonic-194-grain-solid-copper-expanding-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

juice1304 wrote: »
    Even if you were to just buy normal solid copper bullets (which you cannot import or process) 8000 would cost a fortune... a box of 50 is going to be between 40 -80 dollars. So about €7000 before shipping...
    And there is no point in contacting weapons companies because they cannot legally sell anything to you without a licence..
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/328792/lehigh-defense-controlled-fracturing-bullets-458-caliber-subsonic-458-diameter-570-grain-solid-brass-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/943009/lehigh-defense-maximum-expansion-bullets-300-aac-blackout-308-diameter-subsonic-194-grain-solid-copper-expanding-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-50

Again they wouldnt be that dear - no lead, no powder, no pin no import problems.

I was e-mailing weapons companies in china :D

Again they wouldnt be that dear - no lead, no powder, no pin no import problems.

I was e-mailing weapons companies in china :D

Hey ardinn just so you're up to speed. Real rifle brass without lead*, powder or a primer would still require a license here and people have been caught importing them.

Something made from a bar of brass on a lathe to resemble rifle brass would not require a license

*lead covered in copper and usually referred to as the bullet or head

Hey ardinn just so you're up to speed. Real rifle brass without lead*, powder or a primer would still require a license here and people have been caught importing them.

Something made from a bar of brass on a lathe to resemble rifle brass would not require a license

*lead covered in copper and usually referred to as the bullet or head

Can nobody see the pic above?

Fair enough - I know lads importing similar in smaller quantities, such as the pic above.

This is proving most dificult :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ardinn, he's talking about actual bullets. Just to clarify:

Bullet (usually solid, sometimes with a small void at the tip, usually mostly lead which is somewhere around a quarter the price of brass):
    223-fmj-55gr-4-600x533.jpg

Casing (sometimes referred to as "brass"):
    il_340x270.1194095048_hy8i.jpg

Round:
    dc32a045a466787e3ad864e098c836cb_f1.png

Buying real versions of the above is going to be problematic I suspect, particularly in those quantities. Is it necessary that it be metal? Plastic snap caps would be the shape you need, but in polymer. You can get them in brass, but they're even more expensive (around $10 for 6 whereas you could get 50 plastic snap caps for around $10).

Sparks wrote: »
    Ardinn, he's talking about actual bullets. Just to clarify:

Buying real versions of the above is going to be problematic I suspect, particularly in those quantities. Is it necessary that it be metal? Plastic snap caps would be the shape you need, but in polymer. You can get them in brass, but they're even more expensive (around $10 for 6 whereas you could get 50 plastic snap caps for around $10).

26239605_200984253786173_7814170892889494001_n.jpg?oh=b10fa61494fdc64c4d1916b00d29e5fc&oe=5AE2EBDF

Hows that image?

They do have to be metal - I need them weighted

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You can get something like that ready-made in the form of brass snap caps, but they're very expensive in the quantities you're talking about (which is unsurprising, there's a bit of machining involved in each one and the market doesn't treat them as consumables).
    KP Tactical in the US make them (see kptactical.com). I think you'd want to find an EU supplier though, imports could be interesting legally.

In fact, based on events in the National College of Art and Design a few years ago, I would strongly advise having a chat with your local Garda Superintendent before placing your order and making sure he knows what you're doing and that it's harmless; otherwise you may wind up having a less-amicable kind of chat with him regarding a customs impounding incident...

1108151313a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yeah the cost in ireland would be too great, which is why I was also considering china - I have e-mailed a few weapons companies but I presume they would consider the order too small.

!

If a weapons manufacturer sends you something made from bullet components such as brass shells, you need a gun licence to possess them.

Not only that, you'd need 4 licences because you want 4 different calibre (size) bullets.

And just for further complications, you'd need an allowance of 2000 on each licence for the quantity you are looking for.

You might think I'm going over the top but it's the same offence to get caught with a gun that you aren't licenced for as it is to be caught with ammunition components that you aren't licenced for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

What are they for?

What are they for?

Weights essentially

Weights essentially

For fishing? I always use lead. Often make my own from moulds. Why brass?

For fishing? I always use lead. Often make my own from moulds. Why brass?

They are a specific shape for lures with a rounded inlet on the big end for beads and swivels and a hole through for steel wire and snaps.

I have the dimensions and am not looking for stock casings, I would need them made!

They are a specific shape for lures with a rounded inlet on the big end for beads and swivels and a hole through for steel wire and snaps.

I have the dimensions and am not looking for stock casings, I would need them made!

Ah I think I understand. Brass itself would be expensive not to mention machine work :( China would b cheap for labour but shipping takes forever :(

Buy a DIY lathe yourself may be cheaper option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Ah I think I understand. Brass itself would be expensive not to mention machine work :( China would b cheap for labour but shipping takes forever :(

Buy a DIY lathe yourself may be cheaper option?

You'd be looking at excess of 6 - 10k in labour alone to get those made, ex VAT ex material ex everything.

Youd probably need a CNC lathe and bar feeder to do it yourself, unless you have the patience of a saint.

China would probably be your best bet, no idea how youd even go about it though. Probably have to travel over.

eeguy wrote: »
    You'd be looking at excess of 6 - 10k in labour alone to get those made, ex VAT ex material ex everything.

Youd probably need a CNC lathe and bar feeder to do it yourself, unless you have the patience of a saint.

China would probably be your best bet, no idea how youd even go about it though. Probably have to travel over.

No I have the dimensions, just send them over and get some samples tweak until right.

Postage would be the biggest hurdle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

It would probably be a lot easier to get a lead mould made up and make them yourself if it’s for fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe look into 3D printing using iron ore?

But let the local Super know what you are doing, to avoid a surprise visit in the wee hours from your local unit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

No I have the dimensions, just send them over and get some samples tweak until right.

Postage would be the biggest hurdle!

8000 pieces of 10mm x 40mm round brass rod (approximately the size of a .357 Mag round) would weigh over a quarter of a tonne. That's a lot of stamps!

Advertisement