Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing a module in first year of music

Options
  • 15-01-2018 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm in my first year of pure music and I'm 90% sure I've already failed my music history module, am I just completely ****ed?
    I've basically failed to complete both of the essays, which are 20% each, and barely passed both listening tests, another 20% each, I've essentially got a maximum of like 30-40% in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Go and talk to your tutor. This is what tutors are for. You should find them sympathetic, understanding and well-informed, and they can give you reliable advice as to how serious your situation is, and as to options open to you to remedy it.

Odd are that you will find that things are not as bad as you fear. And, even if they are quite bad, there may be steps you can take to minimize the consequences. You will certainly not be the first person to come to your tutor with problems like this.

If your tutor is one of your lecturers and you see them as part of the problem, you can change your tutor. Talk to them at the Senior Tutor's Office about this. You don't have to give reasons for changing your tutor.

Do it now. You'll feel a lot better after you've spoken to your tutor. I guarantee it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

I'm in my first year of pure music and I'm 90% sure I've already failed my music history module, am I just completely ****ed?
    I've basically failed to complete both of the essays, which are 20% each, and barely passed both listening tests, another 20% each, I've essentially got a maximum of like 30-40% in it.

My experience is that departments are very forgiving. Do the essays (not an easy task, I know) and submit them, concentrating on one first. (Just aim for the word count and write; if it's in any way decent they slap a 50 on it. It has to be flagrantly diabolical not to be given a pass mark in first year.) Often they'll cap them at a pass when they are long past the deadline, but sometimes not. Also, if the first response from College is unfavourable, persist: you wouldn't believe some of the concessions I've heard been given after someone was initially refused.

Whatever you do, don't disengage from your course because you feel you've fallen irretrievably behind. So many people do, and they never are. It is deceptively easy to pass first year, as hard as that might be to believe. And there's the fallback of supplementals too. (Just don't let yourself be in the position where you have to sit a full set of exams and submit assignments; with each exam you pass in the summer, the chance of success at supplementals increases exponentially!) Just aim to do a few hours a week of study, resisting the temptation to assess the progress you're making, and you'll be fine!

Advertisement