Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

porridge

Options
  • 15-01-2018 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all

So i really enjoy my porridge, make it with;
      Oats 50g
      Milk 300mls
      Honey 10-15g

Nom nom nom...

But looking to add a bit of bite, fibre and something healthy...

Tried(One at a time, not all together)

Pomengrantes - No(strange texture with porridge)
    Pumpkin Seeds - No(normally love them, but not in porridge)
    Walnuts - No(Normally love them, but not in my porridge)

Can anyone suggest and nuts or seeds that may go with the porridge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

My usual mix is with banana (sliced, not mashed), raspberries and blueberries (they add a bit of texture I guess) and a light sprinkling of sunflower seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I usually chop a few dates and add them to the porridge before cooking. A little sugar on top, a sprinkle of wheatgerm and some chia seeds. Mixed nuts, raspberries and blackberries on top again or sometimes some sliced banana instead. I agree about pumpkin seeds , they aren't great with porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

At the moment I can't get enough of porridge with banana, cinnamon a spoonful of peanut butter. I also add some flaxeeds and chia seeds, you can't taste them and they add fiber. I finely chop or mash the banana and put it in when cooking, warms up nicely.
    Blueberries are nice, too, usually add some walnuts when I use them. I add these to the pot as well, I find they burst a bit when they warm up and are much nicer and have more flavour that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Oh btw, the walnuts need be toasted first, otherwise you can't taste them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I usually have strawberries, blueberries, banana, and those linseed mixes you can get in Lidl. It's super yummy, but looks more like a fruit salad than a bowl of porridge :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

The 100% real peanut or almond butter is lovely mixed through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Where can you buy that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

For fibre, try mixing in a heaped tablespoon or two of wheatbran - odlums do a big bag for less than €2 - it is 40% fibre or thereabouts, so 10g has about 4-5g of fibre.

Also a fan of cinnamon and pecan nuts broken up in little pieces for texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

zweton wrote: »
    Where can you buy that?

Almond butter? Aldi used to have it in their chocolate spread section. Saw it in the special aisles last week.

Porridge with raisins and milled linseed every weekday here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Space Dog wrote: »
    Oh btw, the walnuts need be toasted first, otherwise you can't taste them IMO.

Never knew that, a throw them into everything raw ha ha

Will toast some Tomorrow morning and give them another tryðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah, saw some Irish chef toasting sesame seeds before adding to a dish. To bring out the nutty flavour.

Some of porridge afficiandos may be interested in this:
    http://www.themerrymill.ie/

They featured on, Ear to the Ground RTE, last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Blueberries and stewed apple (no sugar added)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭treenytru

Peanut butter is lovely...melts a little with the heat of the porridge:D

My norm is mixed berries and this flaxseed cereal topper which you can find in Aldi or Lidl...2 different flavours available

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Products.htm?articleId=1187

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Also, though it goes without saying, has to be jumbo oats :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

For me it's 1 part jumbo oats to 2 parts milk with some sultanas and cranberries stirred through when it's cooked, leaving it slightly liquidy before leaving it to stand for few minutes to allow the fruit to soak up any excess milk.

Bit of honey and Irish Mist on a weekend ;)

The Ma is from Belfast........has hers with salt, feckin' minging 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

zweton wrote:
    Where can you buy that?

Has to be a good peanut butter such as meridian imo. Its more expensive but you only need a little. Plus it's a lot softer to begin so mixes easy. You get it in dunnes and Tescos etc and aldi do it sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Always make with water. Good toppings are linseed, sunflower/pumpkin seeds, cranberrys, raisins, bananas, blueberrys, maple syrup. Not all at the same time obviously! Anything you like at all will go with it!

Trying to avoid adding additional sweetness really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Lots of interesting ideas there I may try out. I've just recently started to add read-to-eat prunes to my porridge. Now that's what I call fibre!! :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Lots of interesting ideas there. Myself, I've just recently started to add read-to-eat prunes to my porridge. Now that's what I call fibre!! :D

More like sorbitol from the prunes

• Advertisement

Mebbe, though prunes have always had a reputation for being a laxative too.

Again that's the sorbitol 😂😂😂😂 having you running faster that usain bolt

Not quite Usain Bolt, but works for me! Nuff said now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

There's no evidence that Prune's work as a laxative,thats according to the EFSA, the European food safety authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think oatmeal is pretty fibrous already. Might add a spoonful of those mixed Omega-3-seeds from the health-food shop.
    I make with water. Top with a scoop or two of natural yogurt and then dollop of raspberry puree (my own fruits, frozen then thawed)
    The tangy red juice trickles down over the white smooth yogurt and the hot comforting porridge...mmm can't wait for breakfast...

Variation: add All-Bran into the oats before cooking.
    Top with applesauce, then a scatter of cinnamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Corvo wrote: »
    My usual mix is with banana (sliced, not mashed), raspberries and blueberries (they add a bit of texture I guess) and a light sprinkling of sunflower seeds.

Are you sure they are blueberries?

dennispenn wrote: »
    There's no evidence that Prune's work as a laxative,thats according to the EFSA, the European food safety authority.

Prunes contain sorbitol which can be a laxative

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol#Laxative

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/sorbitol.html

I'm not looking for more fibre for bowel movement, just a bit more to give a better fibre:sugar ratio since i'm using honey in the my porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Prunes contain sorbitol which can be a laxative

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbitol#Laxative

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/sorbitol.html

I'm not looking for more fibre for bowel movement, just a bit more to give a better fibre:sugar ratio since i'm using honey in the my porridge

I use no sweetener. Instead I add raisins, dried cranberries, and dried cherries.

kylith wrote: »
    I use no sweetener. Instead I add raisins, dried cranberries, and dried cherries.

That sounds yummy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement