Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New companies looking for partners discussion/poll.

Options
  • 15-01-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

The forum is currently receiving a lot of threads on people looking to start tech companies.

The threads generally follow the following pattern.
    Hey, looking to start a company that solves a problem with a website/app/other idea that I've had.

Need a developer with experience in this specific language, and blockchain, to come on board as a partner.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I delete them because they probably belong in the Situations Vacant sticky, but violate the offer or equity rule. They also seem very poorly thought out and in some cases nonsensical, and this forum is not really the place to look for a business partner.

But what are your thoughts? Would people be interested in seeing these threads? Please add your comments.

Are you interested in 'I've an idea, need a dev partner for my new company' threads? 14 votes

Yes, interested in seeing these threads.
    0% 0 votes
    No, not interested in seeing these threads.
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Evil Phil wrote: »
    But what are your thoughts? Would people be interested in seeing these threads? Please add your comments.

I'm interested in seeing well thought through, realistic proposals. As in, from software developers who have already implemented most of the software themselves already, have published it as open source, and are looking to swap equity for help in getting it finished. Even better if they've got money to pay for day rate.

Most of these approaches are from non-technical people trying to get expensive technical talent for free to do the work for them because they don't have a clue. They should be banned as time wasters.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

One solution is to specifically ban these type of threads in the forum charter, and then I'll just continue to delete them.

I'm guessing the reasons we don't see realistic proposals is because those proposals are, well, realistic. They know what they're doing, they now how to network, and the know how to execute their ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I'm guessing the reasons we don't see realistic proposals is because those proposals are, well, realistic. They know what they're doing, they now how to network, and the know how to execute their ideas.

Very much so. One of my past contracts was in cryptocurrencies, and I've consulted for crypto startups here in Ireland. Most startups fall into two camps, the ones with engineering talent on board who don't know exactly what to do (a small minority), and the rest who are "appalled" at the cost of hiring good people and want them to work for some future equity (to which I always say, "Google pays you 80k AND equity. Compete against that!")

Also, to be honest, most engineering talent interested in crypto trading is already doing crypto trading. I know people with more than a million in profit so far. They've no interest in making some non-technical person with an idea rich unless they're getting paid for it.

Me personally, I've not seen a cryptocurrency I like the engineering of yet. I think the whole lot a Tulip bubble. But I do keep studying the new ones, and when I see a design which I know actually has a chance of working outside a speculative ponzi bubble, you'll see me jump on then. Not now.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

I was disappointed to find the "Spotify of News" post had been deleted. I was looking forward to the explanation of why they had chosen an archaic niche platform for the technology stack.

Any chance that the posts could be archived to a graveyard thread to be kept for posterity? It would be interesting to see how many next big things we let slip through our grasp over the course of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'm a bit split on this. The good quality posts of that ilk are worth engaging in but they're probably better suited to the business forum than here. Ultimately I think they shouldn't be here - but since this forum is pretty quiet it might not be a bad idea to allow the better quality threads stick around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think they should be in a seperate sub forum.
    Because it will illustrate how many there are, and how similar they are.
    Also real opportunities will stand out as being different.

But they shouldn't be in the Development forum itself. They are just noise there.

Interesting, the commentators say no, the voters say yes with 6 to 4 in favor. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Forgot to vote... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

And I just left a comment instead of voting - have left a no vote to avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i voted no, but come to think about it, i kinda like the drama of these posts... they can be entertaining!

• Advertisement

They can be entertaining I guess, but they do really annoy people who make a real contribution to the forum. Hence I've asked, I'll leave the poll open for a week and then make a decision (which will probably be delete these posts, unless they have some real substance).

Advertisement