Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Czechs go to Ireland, be homeless, get housing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

zell12 wrote: »

That has nothing to do with your argument, The Irish in in the UK were expecting the British welfare system to support them and find them housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

redcup342 wrote: »
    Jesus man they spent a year sleeping rough, Irish or not their people.
    2000 euros is a lot of money in Czech Republic, what were they supposed to do, go back to Czech and live rough rather than stay where they were and try to get their lives sorted.
    It's supposed to be a European Union not a European everyone for themselves.
    They should go to the Czech embassy and ask for assistance or the Irish government should offer to pay for them to return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why did Irish people got England in the 1980s with no money and no way of supporting themselves except the British welfare system

Very few did and if they did they certainly shouldn't have done social welfare is a big enough drain without those from outside the country claiming as well just go home if you cant support yourself in another country.

You wouldnt be allowed to get away with this carry on in Australia thats for sure but Ireland is seen as being a soft touch for this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Come off as idiots.
    Interning at Space-X.

Talk about ****eing on about the "Agenda"

Exactly, you would think he would be paid for his work, no?

From friends and relatives of mine, IT is booming in Dublin. So much so, they are trying to headhunt Irish talent in places like Canada, OZ and the UK in order to bring them home. They just cannot get the staff.

I know a girl who came back from Sydney, who had about 5 good offers within 2 weeks. Then again, she knew her stuff, had made contacts before hand and had a long list of projects and experience under her belt. You know, the stuff competent people do, rather than just wing it.

I do not wish this couple any ill will, I wish them all the best, but the last two years of them being 'homeless' is entirely self inflicted due to not doing any due diligence and research into what is involved in moving countries. Hopefully lesson learned and will give others food for thought when making such choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

baylah17 wrote: »
    It is and has been oft repeated by the Irish abroad especially in the UK.

No it's not. Even after coming over here and serving with HM Forces, I still didn't get those kind of benefits in the UK.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Jesus man they spent a year sleeping rough, Irish or not their people.

2000 euros is a lot of money in Czech Republic, what were they supposed to do, go back to Czech and live rough rather than stay where they were and try to get their lives sorted.

It's supposed to be a European Union not a European everyone for themselves.

All countries should put their own citizens needs 1st why should anyone else just come here and get assistance from the state ahead of born and bred indigenous Irish citizens.

Mutant z wrote: »
    Very few did and if they did they certainly shouldn't have done social welfare is a big enough drain without those from outside the country claiming as well just go home if you cant support yourself in another country.

There were a huge amount of Irish on Welfare and living in squats in London in the 1980s, enough of them that to generate anti Irish bias in the media to be sure most got jobs and sorted eventually the ones I know anyway:p

The activities of the IRA did not help.

The rights or wrongs of the situation is a different point, I am making the point that it is not some uniquely Dublin situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Must be a long time since the Czechs were the subject of the ire of the dregs of boards.ie. Diversity in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wait wait wait, hold on a second.

Is it just me or are they just legitimately now renting a home, no handouts or any silly stuff like that.

Why are people getting angry about it? They came here, made a big mistake in not planning employment and had to sleep rough for a year, but now they're both doing very well for themselves.

And yet there's people in giving out about them? It's a bloody success story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It's not clear from the article, but I assume it is HAP through a voluntary Council sponsored scheme.

maybe, maybe not

It also doesn't say that they get the full €1300 from HAP. The ususal limit is €900 for a couple so they could be paying an amout themselves

Sonics2k wrote: »

Is it just me or are they just legitimately now renting a home, no handouts or any silly stuff like that.

Why are people getting angry about it? They came here, made a big mistake in not planning employment and had to sleep rough for a year, but now they're both doing very well for themselves.

They're from Czechia though, a foreign clime. That makes them the enemy. Small 'e'.

Must be a long time since the Czechs were the subject of the ire of the dregs of boards.ie. Diversity in action.

So two Czech people get some criticism, and you think that that is subjecting the whole of the Czech populaation to ire? You ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

People seem to be unhappy that they get assistance towards housing rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Our homeless really need to step up their game.

• Advertisement

So two Czech people get some criticism, and you think that that is subjecting the whole of the Czech populaation to ire? You ok?

I'm perfectly fine, thank you for asking.

No it's not. Even after coming over here and serving with HM Forces, I still didn't get those kind of benefits in the UK.

You would not today, the British welfare systme today is complementary and utterly different that it was in the 1980s

Riskymove wrote: »
    People seem to be unhappy that they get assistance towards housing rent

I don't see the problem at all.

They're both EU citizens. They both pay tax, they both contribute now to our society.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that those whining about the EU tend to have the least idea on just how much the EU has done for Ireland since we joined it.

Indeed it is rather different. I got £35 pound a week when I couldn't find work. That was 2016! I was only out of work for 3 weeks though and they don't grant you anything for your first 14 days of unemployment. I imagine it's rather different in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

This is just one of the many reasons why I want Ireland to leave the EU. The sooner we Irexit the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Looks to me like they made more of an effort to be independent than a lot of home grown lifetime dolers. You should direct your outrage to career dole dependents of which we have plenty born and bred in Ireland.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that those whining about the EU tend to have the least idea on just how much the EU has done for Ireland since we joined it.

My parents could afford a house on their clerical officer and electricians assistant wages back in the late 70's. Back then, before the freedom of movement, we had a natural control on the provision of labour, and as such we didn't need laws for minimum wage.

Look where the EU has got us? Yeah, economic growth. Remind me who benefits mostly from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Another thinly veiled anti immigration thread. Boardsbeirt News anyone?

My parents could afford a house on their clerical officer and electricians assistant wages back in the late 70's. Back then, before the freedom of movement, we had a natural control on the provision of labour, and as such we didn't need laws for minimum wage.

Look where the EU has got us? Yeah, economic growth. Remind me who benefits mostly from that?

We joined the EEC in 1973!

They were availing of handouts, other homelessness supports.
    The wife could not have been possibly employed in a hotel whilst sleeping outside.
    HAP limit for homeless couples in Dublin is 900 + 50% = €1350.

Yeah, it's called inflation and it's happened world wide. It's a total pain in the arse and I'm not a fan of it myself, but you can't blame the EU for it.

Here in Cork City you're looking at nearly €1800 a month for a standard 3 bed house, but the wages haven't gone up.

That has -nothing- to do with the EU. Try again.

The wife could not have been possibly employed in a hotel whilst sleeping outside.

And now they work and pay tax. They will contribute to Irish society.

Again, what's the problem?

I think he meant the Accession10 of poorer eastern europe countries in 2004.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I think he meant the Accession10 of poorer eastern europe countries in 2004.

Which Irish people voted against but our democratic wishes were not respected in the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Those handouts are legal and they are entitled to them.
    They wouldn't be on the limit of the handout so without knowing the actual figure there isn't much you can get angry about?
    They are paying taxes now I imagine so they are contributing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Homeless crisis ☑
    Foreigners ☑
    Dole bashing ☑

Anyone got Travellers and Abortion for a full house?

So close! It was Muslims you were missing. Muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,234 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

And now they work and pay tax. They will contribute to Irish society.

Again, what's the problem?

Well that is subjective as the wages they are on at the moment would indicate that they would not be paying any income tax.

Very good, now tell me, did we need minimum wage laws before or after we opened the country up to limitless labour potential, thus driving down wages?

bear1 wrote: »
    Those handouts are legal and they are entitled to them.
    They wouldn't be on the limit of the handout so without knowing the actual figure there isn't much you can get angry about?
    They are paying taxes now I imagine so they are contributing...
    We don't know if they are paying taxes, even if the article mentions working "Tomas repairing computers at a city-centre shop, and Lucie in a hotel"
    It says rent "is €1,300 a month and they get the HAP" inferring later "One day we will have a home, with no HAP and a good job", makes me think it is almost fully subsidised accommodation.

Doltanian wrote: »
    Which Irish people voted against but our democratic wishes were not respected in the Lisbon treaty.

People looked for reassurance on abortion, the vote was re ran and passed.

It was ok when we were the poorman of Europe then!

We don't know if they are paying taxes, even if the article mentions working "Tomas repairing computers at a city-centre shop, and Lucie in a hotel"
    It says rent "is €1,300 a month and they get the HAP" inferring later "One day we will have a home, with no HAP and a good job", makes me think it is almost fully subsidised accommodation.

Would you like to invest in my “Jump to Conclusions” map?

Very good, now tell me, did we need minimum wage laws before or after we opened the country up to limitless labour potential, thus driving down wages?

Minimum Wage predates the Nice treaty

Indeed it is rather different. I got £35 pound a week when I couldn't find work. That was 2016! I was only out of work for 3 weeks though and they don't grant you anything for your first 14 days of unemployment. I imagine it's rather different in Ireland.

So you were on welfare support in another EU country?

Mutant z wrote: »
    You wouldnt be allowed to get away with this carry on in Australia thats for sure but Ireland is seen as being a soft touch for this kind of stuff.

Australia- a bastion of human rights - and where we sent our unemployed after the crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not true on the no handouts situation ,
    Hap is supplementing their tent , likely the majority of their rent

Gatling wrote: »
    Not true on the no handouts situation ,
    Hap is supplementing their tent , likely the majority of their rent

A tent???

So you were on welfare support in another EU country?

Yes, but since you've ignored the detail there's no point in reiterating it again.

Yes, but since you've ignored the detail there's no point in reiterating it again.

It’s terrible when someone misrepresents the situation is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Actually, the UK and Ireland are fairly unique in the EU as they don't have any kind of registration system for people moving here. In most EU countries you have to register, usually within 90 days and prove your a job or you're in education, or self-sufficient.

Because neither Ireland nor the UK have ever had the notion of formally registering their own citizens when they move, they don't apply any different rules to EU citizens, so until they appear in the tax or welfare system we have no formal way or recognising they're here at all.

If you move cities in say France or Belgium, you must register with the town hall and make your presence known. That applies whether you're French, Irish, Dutch, Romanian, British, German or any other nationality.

Ireland and the UK are actually rather uniquely probably the absolute model of EU freedom of movement, despite not being in Schengen. The two countries absolutely wholeheartedly embraced the idea that people could move in without fuss or bureaucracy. The same is not true across the 26 other members. You are usually expected to register and provided all sorts of proof of what you're up to.

A lot of the things the Brexiteers complain about were never actually required of them in the first place.

now, now. don't be coming in here with your factual arguments. no one here wants to know that most other EU countries have fairly comprehensive registers and ID systems to know who is living in the area, and that UK and Ireland don't have them because to bring them in would cost too much.

The OP is right in the sense that freedom of movement does mean that if you want to stay in another EU country for longer than 3 months, you have to be able to prove that you can support yourself.

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/explainers/what-eu-freedom-movement

"Thirty years ago, on June 6th 1985, I took the boat from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead and got the train down to London. I went into the newsagent in the station concourse in Euston and bought a London A to Z to find the way to Rotherhithe, where my mate had a squat. As I flipped through the pages, a dishevelled old lady leaned against the wall beside me, hitched up her skirt and pissed on the ground. Her urine spattered my rucksack. Welcome to London.

I got out of Ireland because I felt restricted. I had a nervous breakdown during my last year in Trinity College in the process of ramming a science degree down my throat, while at the same time realising I had no interest whatever in science. I had done a course involving some filmmaking, and was keen to learn more. I had some friends and an ex-girlfriend in London, so it seemed like the place to go to.

Squat life
    Unemployment benefit was generous and Ken Livingstone’s Greater London Council even paid my college fees. I paid the grand sum of £1 for my MA in film studies at St Martin’s School of Art in Covent Garden. There was a thriving squatting subculture which made it possible to survive on a pittance. Everyone was in the same boat".

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/generation-emigration/anti-irish-sentiment-and-rave-scene-buzz-in-1980s-london-1.2411590

A first person account if anyone is interestd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Just read the full article in the paper.

I think it's a great story - the chap was sponsored by Space X for a post-grad on the strength of a bit of work he did for a customer of a computer repair shop he was working in.

It's just my subjective opinion but I didn't get the impression the couple had any sense of entitlement. Seemed grateful for the help given to them and were taking steps to better themselves.

They may be on HAP now but I doubt that will be the case in a few years.

It’s terrible when someone misrepresents the situation is it?

I'm not sure what you are arguing against in my post. Someone said that unemployment benefit in the UK isn't fantastic for Irish people, and I've agreed and summarised my experiences of it.

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Just read the full article in the paper.

I think it's a great story - the chap was sponsored by Space X for a post-grad on the strength of a bit of work he did for a customer of a computer repair shop he was working in.

It's just my subjective opinion but I didn't get the impression the couple had any sense of entitlement. Seemed grateful for the help given to them and were taking steps to better themselves.

They may be on HAP now but I doubt that will be the case in a few years.

But logic does not come in to it for some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Juran

They get up every morning and go to work, regardless of their pay scale or the amount of tax they pay - I am happy to see my taxes support the EU citizens (or other legal non-EU citizens) who chose to work. They are adding value to the country and contributing society in some form. 
    I know Irish friends and relatives who moved to the UK in the 70's and 80's and some had to get a hand-out from the British government when things got difficult (council house, child support, etc.) - but it was only temporary, they got education and found work, got training, skills, etc.. , and soon after, every single one of them found work or started their own companies - some have very good jobs in the NHS, Police Service, banks, etc.. They pay taxes, social security, own their own houses, help out with local charities and local schools, etc.. 

However, I don't agree with our tax money being wasted on the people who don't contribute to society -  travellers and the long term (young and fit) unemployed who have zero intention to find work or up-skill themselves .... and funny thing is - they all seem to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, it's called inflation and it's happened world wide. It's a total pain in the arse and I'm not a fan of it myself, but you can't blame the EU for it.

Here in Cork City you're looking at nearly €1800 a month for a standard 3 bed house, but the wages haven't gone up.

That has -nothing- to do with the EU.
    Try again.

Have you ever heard of supply and demand????

• Advertisement
Advertisement