Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Bed Semi 1966 cost to upgrade loan etc

Options
  • 15-01-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, 
    sorry if this has been asked before but I need some ideas on renovating my fathers home in Co.Dublin. I would like to upgrade to modern standards for rental. Could anyone give me a ball park figure on what kind of costs I would be looking at? I would do most of the manual work myself. What kind of loan could I take out and where? I understand that the government offer subsidies (a grant) for upgrading the heating and insulating the house, this comes to approx €4K.
    I would like to do the following work: 
    • Under floor insulation
    • Internal wall insulation
    • Roof insulation and attic conversion
    • 4 Sky lights
    • New boiler / bathroom and plumbing
    Basically gut the house and start again. The place hasn't changed since 1966 and is bloody freezing most of the year. 

thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

bigpaudge wrote: »
    Hi, 
    sorry if this has been asked before but I need some ideas on renovating my fathers home in Co.Dublin. I would like to upgrade to modern standards for rental. Could anyone give me a ball park figure on what kind of costs I would be looking at? I would do most of the manual work myself. What kind of loan could I take out and where? I understand that the government offer subsidies (a grant) for upgrading the heating and insulating the house, this comes to approx €4K.
    • Under floor insulation
    • 4 Sky lights
    Basically gut the house and start again. The place hasn't changed since 1966 and is bloody freezing most of the year. 

Total guestimate based on what we got done.
    • Under floor insulation - 2k ( its a fair bit of work ) - might be easier to just put down osb over the floor you have and thick underlay to stop draughts coming up.
    • Internal wall insulation - 4 to 5k ( plus redecoration costs )
    • Roof insulation and attic conversion - 15/20k
    • 4 Sky lights ( included in above )
    • New boiler / bathroom and plumbing - 6k heating - bathroom ( who knows but at least 5k )
    You'll need to factor in 6k for windows too or you are at nothing.( grant too I think )

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

bigpaudge wrote: »
    Hi, 
    • Under floor insulation
    • 4 Sky lights

Not construction related but if you intend to rent it then you should be able to claim relief against the 'modernisation' cost to bring it to a liveable standard.... however, you won't be able claim relief against your own labour effort, i.e.: might be worth considering getting someone to do the manual work for you and that adds to what you can claim against your future tax bills

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bigpaudge

thanks a lot for the replies, so around about 40K in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Make sure someone looks at the wiring when you’re already pulling the place apart! If it hasn’t been touched since the sixties, there’s a good chance that’ll need doing too

Advertisement