Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on crash this morning

Options
  • 15-01-2018 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was involved my first crash this morning. I rang the Guards and exchanged insurance. The car drifted into my lane and squeezed me with the footpath. From my eyes anyway it was his fault as he moved out with my car already there without indication.

I rang both insurance companies after.

My insurance company said that they were going to make a claim against me because my renewal is up next month! I took photos and it looked like they weren't interested.

I then rang their insurance and they said they would get back to me at a later date.

My car was badly damaged and not drivable and theirs was.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm s**ting it here.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

inna981 wrote: »

My insurance company said that they were going to make a claim against me because my renewal is up next month!
    !

Can you clarify this? Did they mean they were opening up a claim record?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no need to be sh1tting yourself, this is what insurance is for.

I'm guessing what you mean is that the other driver's insurance company are going to make a claim against you. This is fairly typical.

What type of insurance do you have? Third Party or comprehensive?

If liability is disputed, you are better off getting your car repaired (if you have Comp) under your own policy and have your Insurers try and recover the outlay in due course. As Seamus said, this is what you pay your insurance for. The outcome will be decided on the proofs available (witnesses, road markings, dashcam footage etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Thanks for your replies,
    I have comprehensive. If I did get it repaired from my policy wouldn't that affect my NCB and drive my insurance up?

inna981 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies,
    I have comprehensive. If I did get it repaired from my policy wouldn't that affect my NCB and drive my insurance up?

If you have protected NCB, it shouldn't affect you. Otherwise it will unless your insurers are successful in claiming back their outlay from the 3rd party. You can claim for damages in the 1st instance from the 3rd party, but that can be a long drawn out affair if his version of events conflict with yours. Like I say, it is down to proofs available

• Advertisement
Advertisement