Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah, the good old days...really?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Just remembering that when I started working in 73 I was paid 1800 pounds a year which was great. Then remembered I had a summer job in Holland in 71 and earned 75 pounds a week. Holland was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens PMBC, I would be nervous of asking what you were doing for that kind of money!! About 3 years earlier I had a civil service job in the UK and was earning £12 a week - and thought I was doing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I dug up my first permanent payslip from 1965. £1275 per annum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My first job was in 1967. I was 15 years old and I was earning £6. 0. 0d per week, this was a pretty good wage for a junior shorthand typist at the time, my friend earned £4 per week. Out of that I paid Social Welfare stamps but I wasn’t old enough to pay tax, that happened a year later at age 16. So six quid a week = £312 p.a. I offered my mum half my wages but she refused to take it, she eventually agreed to accept £2 a week for my keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My first job at 17, straight out of a training course, was also shorthand typing, typing interminable tedious invoices. That was in 1964, I have no idea what I was paid. Then a year later I got a job with the Probation Service, which was much more interesting, and after 3 years I was on a bit over £600 pa. Those 4 years now get me a very small but gratefully received pension!

In terms of work the 'really?' on my original post does not apply. It was easy to leave school, find an basic job and work your way up if you were sufficiently interested and willing to learn. And you could slip sideways into other jobs, you were not confined by the 'choose a career path in your mid teens' situation that exists now. I did not get the equivalent of a full inter cert at the time - not because I was unintelligent, but because I could not cope with the memory requirements of exams, and my memory for rote learning is still rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I left school before my exams so had nothing to show, but we needed money my first job paid a £5 note per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

looksee wrote: »
    Heavens PMBC, I would be nervous of asking what you were doing for that kind of money!! About 3 years earlier I had a civil service job in the UK and was earning £12 a week - and thought I was doing well!

Working on a pipeline as a labourer repairing pipe insulation.
    Previous year had summer student work, paid at Council Road 'Ganger' rate of 14 pounds per week, Year before that, worked in a local office for 7 pounds per week; and was glad of the job.
    The 1800 pounds was as a newly qualified graduate. After 18 months and a job change, I 'climbed' to 2,100. I was single and 'well-off'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you mean full time? That was as a fully trained and qualified teacher and I have no recollection of how much I was paid..aged 22

If you mean work? First job at 14 as a potato picker on a local farm at 10 shillings a day. Loved it. Had i been born before the war would have been a Land Girl and still love growing things

Omitting one canteen job for sad family reasons at 16

Next; Christmas Post.. On deliveries at first then moved each year into the Sorting Office. Cannot remember how much

Summer work when I was at university was at a local exam board, exactling clerical work and again was promoted to harder work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I just worked out that, up to my retirement, in 34 years with the same company my salary went up by 7500%. It seems incredible but the figure hold true. Maybe inflation isn't a bad thing after all.

Advertisement