If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad's corner upgrade

Options
  • 15-01-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi

I want to upgrade my audio experience at home, looking to purchase at the end of the month.  MY current set up is quite old..
    For a long time now I've been using a Sony STR-D265 Receiver. Plugged into it is a philips cd player also old. A Bush cheap-as chips turntable. 2 small and one base uint jamco speakers.

I use it for a couple of things. I like to listen to vinyl/cds on it, sometimes through the speakers or sometimes through a pair of new wired audio technica headphones (if the rest of the family are watching tv). I also plug my phone in via jack to listen to my online-music source.

I'm thinking of replacing the entire setup, except for the headphones. I dont think I need a surround sound cinema feature, I'm just really using it for music. What might be nice is to have the option to stream music selectively,  to another room? perhaps wireless speakers although this is not a deal breaker.

I could also keep the cd player (philips cdr765 ), in favour of getting better specs on the other equipment. I dont think that upgrading the cd player would give me a huge benefit in music quality? 

Anyway, my price point in total would be up at €1k 

What do you think I could get for that?
    Thanks  in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi

I want to upgrade my audio experience at home, looking to purchase at the end of the month.  MY current set up is quite old..
    For a long time now I've been using a Sony STR-D265 Receiver. Plugged into it is a philips cd player also old. A Bush cheap-as chips turntable. 2 small and one base uint jamco speakers.

I use it for a couple of things. I like to listen to vinyl/cds on it, sometimes through the speakers or sometimes through a pair of new wired audio technica headphones (if the rest of the family are watching tv). I also plug my phone in via jack to listen to my online-music source.

I'm thinking of replacing the entire setup, except for the headphones. I dont think I need a surround sound cinema feature, I'm just really using it for music. What might be nice is to have the option to stream music selectively,  to another room? perhaps wireless speakers although this is not a deal breaker.

I could also keep the cd player (philips cdr765 ), in favour of getting better specs on the other equipment. I dont think that upgrading the cd player would give me a huge benefit in music quality? 

Anyway, my price point in total would be up at €1k 

What do you think I could get for that?
    Thanks  in advance.

Hi RebelButtMunch.

Apologies for the delay.

Somehow I missed you post today but wanted to let you know that I will answer it first thing in the morning as soon as I get in.

Again apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi lads. Any update on this?
    Thanks

Hi lads. Any update  on this?
    Thanks
    Hi Rebel,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you!

From your post I see you are looking for a new stereo amp, turntable and speakers. You could continue to run the CD player as the upgrade in the amp and speakers would be most noticeable and you could always upgrade the CD player down the line if you are unhappy with its performance.

For the amp I would start off looking at the Cambridge CXA60. We have it on offer at the moment for 549 euro and it's a lot of amp for the money. I was intending to buy an amp a while ago and when I heard the CXA60 it blew all of my other choices away in terms of clarity, stereo imaging and control. It also has analogue and digital inputs meaning you can add sources like your TV as well. It is rated at 60W per channel.

The only thing the CXA60 doesn't have is a phono stage but if you are looking for a good turntable I would recommend the Teac TN300 at 269 euro. This is a fantastic plug and play turntable with a built in phono stage. The tonearm is manual but the speed can be changed with a switch rather than having to change the belt every time.

Finally there are two sets of speakers I would recommend. The first would be the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers at 299 euro. These are the What HiFi award winners for 2017 for speakers up to £400 and there are none in it's class that outperform them. However, and I know we've already pushed the budget a bit, if you're looking for something a bit more special I would look at the Monitor Audio Silver 50s. They are smaller that the Bronze 2s but the cabinet is more rigid and they are heavier with better drivers. This makes them incredibly tight, clean and detailed. They usually retail at 799 euro but if you were interested I could do a special boards price of 589 euro.

I hope this has given you an idea and a good starting point. Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Thanks for the detail David

I'm agreeing with you on the bronze vs silver speakers.  I like the idea of more compact speakers.

I've a couple of small followup questions. 
    For the turntable, is the stylus included. I'd hate to unpack the lot and then have to order a stylus :)
    Finally, Is the cabling for the speakers included too?

Thanks.

I'm agreeing with you on the bronze vs silver speakers.  I like the idea of more compact speakers.

For the turntable, is the stylus included. I'd hate to unpack the lot and then have to order a stylus :)

Thanks.
    Hi RebelBM.

The Stylus is included with the turntable.

Speaker cable is not included but we can always offer deals on cables. Speaker cable is sold per meter.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Hi RebelBM.

Speaker cable is not included but we can always offer deals on cables. Speaker cable is sold per meter.
    Grand. I probably need 3 meters per speaker at the most, in case I want to have them up high on the wall.
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. What's the next step to proceed?

Thanks.
    Hi RebelBM.

Grand. I probably need 3 meters per speaker at the most, in case I want to have them up high on the wall.
    I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. What's the next step to proceed?
    Hi Rebel,

Drop me a PM with your contact number and I can call you for details

Kind regards

David

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm loving my new setup. Delivery, unboxing and setup was smooth.

I should have foreseen though that I'd need a radio component. My significant other likes to switch that on some mornings, so I'm looking for something simple that can be on with a couple of button presses.
     I'm thinking about the Tibo TI435 that you have. Are you able to do me a boardsie price on that?
    Thanks.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm loving my new setup. Delivery, unboxing and setup was smooth.

I should have foreseen though that I'd need a radio component. My significant other likes to switch that on some mornings, so I'm looking for something simple that can be on with a couple of button presses.
     I'm thinking about the Tibo TI435 that you have. Are you able to do me a boardsie price on that?
    Thanks.
    Hey RBM.

Excellent news that you are up and running :)

I currently have an open box on of the Tibo TI435 that is missing its original box which I could offer at £93.00, if that might be of interest to you?

Thanks.
    Hey RBM.

I currently have an open box on of the Tibo TI435 that is missing its original box which I could offer at £93.00, if that might be of interest to you?
    Sounds good, I'll drop you a PM

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Hey RBM.

Sounds good, I'll drop you a PM
    No problem RBM.

Hi.

Can I get a price for a Bluetooth 'dongle' to add to my Cambridge audio amp please?

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Rebel ,

is it a CXA60?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Rebel ,

is it a CXA60?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Yep. CXA60

Rebel,

CXA60 - superb amp - I hope you are enjoying it one year on?

There is a dedicated Cambridge Audio Bluetooth adaptor for that called the BT100 - check it out here:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200365-cambridge-audio-bt100-black-bluetooth-receiver.aspx

Its currently £69.99 + £6.99 shipping or €99 including shipping but if you use the Boardie code 'GDAUDIO10 ' at checkout that will reduce by €10 for you ( give it a few minutes to activate as I've just put it up 'specially for you..)

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks folks, I've purchased that :)

Yes, I'm loving the amp and the setup I have. I've been hearing sounds from my music collection that I never heard before!

Thanks RBM,

apologies for the hiccup with the code earlier - I shouldn't go playing with things I don't understand - best left to the IT boffins ;)

Thanks again and great to hear that the system is singing,

As ever keep us posted if we can ever assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.