If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rega Planar 1 or Planar 2

Options
  • 15-01-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

My old technics TT gave up there recently so on look out for a new TT

Wa originally looking at the Audio Technics LP120 - nice but is it that good

Then I thought the Pioneer PLX-500 

Someone suggested the Rega Planar 1 and Planar 2

I only want a TT for playing vinyl so are the LP120 and PLX-500 overkill with USB etc or should I still look at them 

OR

Should I decide on the Rega Planar 1 or 2??
    If the answer is yes then is the Planar 2 worth the extra money???

Need help!! :o

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I only want a TT for playing vinyl so are the LP120 and PLX-500 overkill with USB etc or should I still look at them 

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

The LP120 is a good little turntable but the Rega Planar 1 and 2 are much much better.

The higher priced turntables are worth the money as they use different tone arms, different cartridges, different platters, different motors etc...
    All these things give a better sound from a turntable but it also depends on the other items you own. (There is no point spending £500 on a turntable if you connecting it to a £200 HiFi as it would never perform to its best.

What are you connecting the turntable to?

I myself purchased the Planar 1 about a year ago and then upgraded the plastic platter to the glass one which comes as standard on the Planar 2.
    I also upgraded the Rega carbon cartridge which come on both the 1 and 2 with a Goldring E3.

We also have a cracking deal at the minute on the Rega RP1 - White (Limited run) priced at £199 but I think we have quoted 199 Euro as a boards deal on another thread.
    https://www.whathifi.com/rega/rp1/review

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Hi Guys

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

The LP120 is a good little turntable but the Rega Planar 1 and 2 are much much better.

The higher priced turntables are worth the money as they use different tone arms, different cartridges, different platters, different motors etc...
    All these things give a better sound from a turntable but it also depends on the other items you own. (There is no point spending £500 on a turntable if you connecting it to a £200 HiFi as it would never perform to its best.

I myself purchased the Planar 1 about a year ago and then upgraded the plastic platter to the glass one which comes as standard on the Planar 2.
    I also upgraded the Rega carbon cartridge which come on both the 1 and 2 with a Goldring E3.

We also have a cracking deal at the minute on the Rega RP1 - White (Limited run) priced at £199 but I think we have quoted 199 Euro as a boards deal on another thread.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I am connecting to my Technics Amp SU-V550 has phono input

So the Planar 2 is worth that extra?

Hi Guys

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Hi Cuttlefish.

The Planar 2 is worth the extra in my opinion and is a cracking turntable.

I'm not familiar with the Technics SU-V550. It seems it was produced in 1988.

Hi Guys

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Hi Cuttlefish.

Yes it is that old and still pumping out my iTunes as I reply to you!!

Planar 2 sounds good though am even looking at an old Panasonic SL-H401!!

Hi Guys

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Hi Cuttlefish.

No problem Cuttlefish.

Again no idea on the SL-H401. Think it was manufactured in and around 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Guys

OR

Hi Cuttlefish.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Hi Cuttlefish.

No problem Cuttlefish.

Again no idea on the SL-H401. Think it was manufactured in and around 1980.
    SUV550 - what a classic!

I sold 100's of the damn things :D ' Class AA' :D :D

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

OK guys well I took a risk and after scouring the internet eBay etc decided to purchase ....

a Technics SL-Q3 from Germany

People expressed reservations about shipping etc but in fairness it arrived well packed and in great condition

It is now pride of place in my room with some great features so as automatic start and stop and a repeat function

OK guys well I took a risk and after scouring the internet eBay etc decided to purchase ....

a Technics SL-Q3 from Germany

People expressed reservations about shipping etc but in fairness it arrived well packed and in great condition

It is now pride of place in my room with some great features so as automatic start and stop and a repeat function
    Glad you got storted Cuttlefish!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.