Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flower/planting advice.

Options
  • 15-01-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I’m looking to get some professional advice for 2 big flower beds in a dry area. The 2 beds are under bay windows and don’t get much water due to the overhang of the window. I feel I’m just planting Willy nilly every year and never get the ‘full’ coverage I’m looking for. So I would be looking to pay someone for some plans and I’d work on these. I’m in Kildare. Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

luppy wrote: »
    I’m looking to get some professional advice for 2 big flower beds in a dry area. The 2 beds are under bay windows and don’t get much water due to the overhang of the window. I feel I’m just planting Willy nilly every year and never get the ‘full’ coverage I’m looking for. So I would be looking to pay someone for some plans and I’d work on these. I’m in Kildare. Any recommendations appreciated! Thanks.

You did not mention if the flower beds are south facing or not but some plants from this advice page might be useful in the dry shade of the house. I particularly like to fragrance from sarcococca mentioned and got some myself recently. I know that geraniums are also tolerant to dry conditions but some varieties require full sun. Might be worth putting in some perennials that can get a better root system going rather than just relying on annuals. Rosemary, sage and lavender might work if you have enough light. Sorry I don't know any professionals in the Kildare area but I think you might get a better coverage for your flower beds if you just do a bit more research on what should grow well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You don't really need professional help. Give us an idea of the kind of soil you have there, how long has it been a flowerbed - it might help to dig it out completely and get rid of lumps of concrete and other rubbish. How big is 'big', how far out from the wall do they reach. A pic would help.

Probably most important, which way do the beds face? You need to know that before you can decide what plants to use.

My sarcococca is in full scent at the moment!

Advertisement