Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC POSTDOC 2018

• 15-01-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi folks, this is a thread about the IRC postdoc application for 2018

Good luck to everyone !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pras1729

Hello everyone, I was just wondering does anyone have an idea when will the phase one results be out? I have been following the IRC postgrad threads here and their phase one results were out on 7th February. Given that their deadline for submission and date of final results are both 1 month ahead of the Postdoc call .. do you think the phase 1 results for postdocs would be out around 7th March?

Just curious if anyone who went through the IRC postdoc application process in the previous years could shed some light on phase 1 result dates?

Thanks, and good luck at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Delaney101

Hi pras1729

It's my first year applying for the IRC Postdoc. Have been checking the portal constantly since I submitted. I was expecting results in April but if they come earlier that would be great...I'd love to know the result in early March. Hopefully that's the case

are you STEM or Humanities? did you apply for 1 or 2 years?

how did you find the application? a lot of work, hopefully it pays off. It's so difficult to get a postdoc these days. I applied for 50+ in various Irish universities and nada. not even an interview

It's my first year too, in STEM. I found the assessment flowchart here: http://research.ie/assets/uploads/2017/05/Assessment-Process-Flowchart-2018.pdf

So, the final result (phase 2) is still in April .. but seems like there is phase 1 results should be out earlier. It's a pity they don't say when exactly they will be out. I'm just guessing based on what the postgrads are talking about.

Yeah, it would be good to know as a soon as possible

It would be nice to know what phase of assessment (1 or 2) the application is in. My portal just states "under assessment" - has it moved to phase 2? or is it still in phase1?

From what I see from the Postgrad threads:

- 2018: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106084062
    - 2017: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101689290

it seems to me that they send out an email at the end of phase 1 selection to everyone informing if they have advanced to phase 2 or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks. That’s good to know

Hi Pras1729,

Quick question - have you received any email relating to move to second phase of assessment?

Nope, not yet!

I just received a response to my query regarding the phase 1 results from the IRC.

"Unfortunately, I’m afraid that I don’t have any new information for you with regards to a specific date. Due to the recent snow and strike in the UK, it looks like the results will be going towards the end of the month.

Kind regards,
    Irish Research Council"

Just thought I'd share the info.

Thanks Pras. Back to the waiting game!

• Advertisement

Did you hear anything, Delaney101? Seems like the final results for the postgrads are out today! No signs of phase 1 for the postdocs (?)

Hi pras1729, yeah i checked IRC site last night and this morning and the submission tab was missing. I took it that the website was being updated. Logged back in today and my submission still states “under assessment”. So no news yet. Keep on waiting into April. Hopefully 1st round will come out early april🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 22 postdoc2018

Hi, I've been informed by my potential mentor that the IRC postdoc assessment board are scheduled to meet on April 12th so we can expect to hear after that. I'm not sure that we will get an email regarding first/second round in advance of that. In any case, we still have a couple of weeks of waiting to go!

Also, I've just noticed that my application now reads 'Last modified: 28/03/2018 11:52'. I'm guessing that means they've been processing the applications in advance of the Inner Board Assessors' meeting on the 12th April.

If this is the case, then perhaps we can expect some applications to be updated as not making it to Phase 2, as per the flowchart: 'Unsuccessful applications do not progress further – OLS status updated to ‘unsuccessful application’'. The flowchart, to my eyes anyway, doesn't suggest that those progressing to Phase 2 will receive any indication of same, by email or otherwise.

Has anyone else noticed their application as having being recently modified?

I've been informed by my potential mentor that the IRC postdoc assessment board are scheduled to meet on April 12th

Hi postdoc2018, this is good information, thanks!
    If this is the case, then perhaps we can expect some applications to be updated as not making it to Phase 2, as per the flowchart: 'Unsuccessful applications do not progress further – OLS status updated to ‘unsuccessful application’'. The flowchart, to my eyes anyway, doesn't suggest that those progressing to Phase 2 will receive any indication of same, by email or otherwise.

Hmm, that's true, but looking at previous years' discussions, it seems like there has always been an email sent out at the end of Phase 1. Anyway, it's all speculation. You're right, there is no official information regarding that except what's on the flowchart.

My 'last modified' date hasn't changed since January 2018. Don't know what that means! Anyway, fingers crossed.

Thanks pras1729. As you say it's all speculation. Torturous, on-going speculation...

In the past, have postdocs received the email regarding progression to Phase 2? I have only seen that in relation to postgraduate applications, and the PG guidelines explicitly state that an email update will be sent informing applicants of this. Not that it makes any difference really, but would be nice to know if we have progressed to Phase 2 or, equally, to be put out of the misery of waiting!

You're right. My speculation is based on postgrads too! Seems like the postgrads discuss this was more than postdocs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lustigelola

Hi!

Yes, my application was modified on 27 March (after the tab disappearing, etc etc). Before that, it had been modified on 10 January and 16 March... so it looks like things are moving!

Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 5 notsosure1

Hi all,

Has anyone heard anything new from the IRC about outcomes, etc? I only just found this thread, thanks for all the previous posts!

This wait sure is starting to...

Hi Notsosure1

Nothing so far. To wait continues....

• Advertisement

The board is meeting this day week (Thursday 12th) so we should expect to hear the following week, 16th April onwards, unless they are super efficient and update the portal next Friday. Which seems a little unlikely. Just have to sit tight until then!

The wait is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 notsosure1

Hi all,

Since I'm not as familiar as others on this thread, can I ask the following:

Let's say, for those (very few) who will actually get the IRC without having to endure to put on waiting lists (don't know the correct term) and get, as it were, a first round offer, how long would this process take? I suppose answering this would require knowledge of previous years, and the assumption that a similar time-scale would be applicable, but if anyone could give me an educated estimate, I would really appreciate it!

notsosure1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Since I'm not as familiar as others on this thread, can I ask the following:

Let's say, for those (very few) who will actually get the IRC without having to endure to put on waiting lists (don't know the correct term) and get, as it were, a first round offer, how long would this process take? I suppose answering this would require knowledge of previous years, and the assumption that a similar time-scale would be applicable, but if anyone could give me an educated estimate, I would really appreciate it!

Hi notsosure1,

Do you mean for the offer to be fully confirmed?

The process as I understand it is that a successful applicant will have a ‘conditional offer’ made, which is then updated to ‘award-holder’ once all the paperwork is submitted and approved (transcripts; ethics clearances; etc). I don’t know how long this whole process takes but as far as I know, conditional offers must be accepted or rejected within quite a short time frame, ie a week or two. I do know that those on the reserve list received offers into July in past years.

All awards must be (and can only be) commenced in October.

I don’t know if any of this answers your question but hope it helps in some way!

Hopefully not too much longer of a wait now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SaraFraichi

Hi everyone,
    I'm a newbie here and it's good to see that i'm not not alone in this interminable wait !

Hi SaraFraichi,

thanks the message. the wait is horrible isn't it! hopefully news will break soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SaraFraichi

Hi everyone,
    Just for information : i sent an email yesterday to the IRC desk and they answered me this morning that the outcome of the application will be at the end of the month! arghhh

Thanks for the update. Arggg indeed! So frustrating but good to know that I can stop endlessly refreshing the IRC application forum for the next week or two anyway. Very painful though...

Thanks for the info SaraFraichi,

frustrating isn't it !! the wait continues till probably Thursday 26th/Friday 27th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

Letter of offers for Postgraduate Scholarships only came in post today, so they could be tying that up and then on to Post-Doc. Good luck to all :)

Advertisement