Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyrille Regis

• 15-01-2018 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to mark the passing of one of my heroes of the game - Cyrille Regis - I began playing and supporting football in the 80s - a time of real racism , heard vile stuff playing, even through the 90s - but Cyrille Regis played professionally from the late 70s and was a trailblazer when racism was alive at so many grounds, fuelled by the National Front. In the late 80s i gave up supporting my club cause of it - Today things have changed, in fact I struggle to fit in to much of todays over PC world - but Cyrille helped pave the way for a better more tolerant game - a true great.
    Thanks for such great memories.
    R.I.P.

Comments

A great player, really tied to Midlands clubs, playing for Coventry, West Brom, Villa and Wolves, never really got the transfer to the big time except perhaps the couple of seasons at Villa. His legacy, as part of The Three Degrees with Batson and Cunningham, paved the way for so many. Very ironic that accusations of racism finished Ron Atkinson's career as a pundit (and it was a terrible comment, just that his record suggested he was anything but)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

One of the very few players who would show up at any midlands ground and be roundly applauded. Lived and played through the sewer chants/abuse that stained British football in the 80's and kept his dignity. His book is a staggering recollection of it all. A very underrated player as well, should have got more than the 5 (I think) England caps he had. He deserves to be recognised as a very important figure in British football history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RIP to a legend.

Also someone who grew up in this era. He was a great player to watch, exciting times at WBA then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NIMAN wrote: »
    He was a great player to watch, exciting times at WBA then.

when i gave up on my team - nearly went over to West Brom - that team were great to watch, unlike todays West Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

There's a name from the past,young Djimi was only a child but the 3 degrees stayed in the back of the brain since then,WBA and Palace were gonna be the next big things. His buddy Laurie died a young man,rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I remember having a Cyrille Regis sticker in an album sometime in the late 70s in the WBA colours, and the next time he popped into my consciousness was the day of the FA Cup final in 1987.

I remember them going through the teams in the build up on TV and seeing Regis and thinking "I remember him".

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A reminder of how good he was. Goal of the Season 1981/82.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Didn't realise he passed away. RIP. A very significant player in football history, particularly in the UK, and was always one of my first signings on Championship Manager 1993/94 if I was managing a lower league team as he could be bought cheaply and scored a ton for a season or so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement