Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st gen Multistrada 1200 -- am I mad?

• 15-01-2018 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

1st Gen Multistrada's (2010/2011) have peaked my interest recently.

Bit bored of my 11 year old GS, which I've had for 10 years, so due a change.

Am I mad to consider one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I like them myself but a bit scared to take the plunge. But not sure if that justified.

11 years of shaft you will hate a chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Are you buying it privately ? if so walk away. As much as I love Ducati's, I'd never buy one privately , you've no come back if its dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

D3V!L wrote: »
    Are you buying it privately ? if so walk away. As much as I love Ducati's, I'd never buy one privately , you've no come back if its dodgy.

I'd be of the same opinion, I'd be looking at a reputable dealer, probably in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

colm_c wrote: »
    I'd be of the same opinion, I'd be looking at a reputable dealer, probably in the UK.

I almost bought one about a year ago.
    Lack of service history made me walk away.

If buying in UK,what will you do if some goes wrong?

blade1 wrote: »
    I almost bought one about a year ago.
    Lack of service history made me walk away.

If buying in UK,what will you do if some goes wrong?

There's Millsport Ducati in Ballymoney (NI). They're meant to be quite good. I dont know of any "reputable" Ducati dealers in Dublin. :pac:

There is a lad in Kimmage who's an ex-Ducati mechanic that does non-warranty work. He's meant to be excellent. His site is http://www.mototechnic.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

650Ginge wrote: »

11 years of shaft you wI'll hate a chain.

This ^^^.

Four years on a BMW spoiled me. And people can say all the want about Scottoilers for a chain, there's still work in them.

I like Ducati's, but I'd be terrified to buy one.

I think the head has to rule it out for now, back to browsing more sensible options!

I think the head has to rule it out for now, back to browsing more sensible options!

I'll be honest, its looking like I'm going back to a BMW ~ although I swore I'd never touch one again after my last one turned into the anti Christ, stuck its fist up my arse and fist f*cked me to death... And JD in D11 (whom we can't discuss in negative terms on this forum) didn't help either.

To be fair to my current GS, I've had no trouble with it, bar regular servicing (mostly through indy garages) and the odd bit of rust.

Why not buy one, if it's been looked after why would it give you any more problems than any other bike.

The problem italian bikes have is that they are exotica, they cost alot more to service properly, need to be serviced more often and the parts are more than jap bikes so people scrimp on servicing or parts.

Therefore people buy a **** job and then complain when it breaks down

Looking online Ducatis are actually really easy to service and do valve adjustments on etc, I'm looking at one for my next bike cause it's easier to work on the engines.if your not going to look after it yourself then I suppose the opinion that if you can't afford the bike new you can't afford a used one, they are no cheaper to look after

Like a mates brother bought a few years old range Rover and then baulked at the cost of servicing which is serious money, if it was 100k+ new they aren't gonna be any cheaper to look after because it's a few years old .

• Advertisement

Why not buy one, if it's been looked after why would it give you any more problems than any other bike.

The problem italian bikes have is that they are exotica, they cost alot more to service properly, need to be serviced more often and the parts are more than jap bikes so people scrimp on servicing or parts.

Therefore people buy a **** job and then complain when it breaks down

Looking online Ducatis are actually really easy to service and do valve adjustments on etc, I'm looking at one for my next bike cause it's easier to work on the engines.if your not going to look after it yourself then I suppose the opinion that if you can't afford the bike new you can't afford a used one, they are no cheaper to look after

Like a mates brother bought a few years old range Rover and then baulked at the cost of servicing which is serious money, if it was 100k+ new they aren't gonna be any cheaper to look after because it's a few years old .

Yep, totally agreed, I don't have the space or the inclination to do any servicing on it myself.

It's the avoiding buying a heap that's my main issue, as from what I'm reading online, there seems to be quite a few issues that can come up. Not to mention the dealers are not shifting these bikes as quick as others which makes me even more paranoid.

I am also considering new, but there are some better IMO new/newer bikes out there.

A lot of what Goose says is true. I'm confident at doing most mechanical work but I have to choose wisely too because I've no shed/garage and working on a bike in the garden is a real pain in the hole so I'm left to leave bikes into workshops because I'm simply stuck for room.

Other than that I'd probably jump at a cheaper, old Ducati and spend hours out in my man cave on my tools, some rock/metal and a crate of Tyskie every night :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'll be honest, its looking like I'm going back to a BMW ~ although I swore I'd never touch one again after my last one turned into the anti Christ, stuck its fist up my arse and fist f*cked me to death... And JD in D11 (whom we can't discuss in negative terms on this forum) didn't help either.

All is not lost :

Triumph Explorer 1200 has a shaft https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/triumph-tiger-1200-explorer/17551806
    Yamaya XTZ1200 has a shaft https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/super-tenere-pgmotorcycles/17589225

Both excellent bikes.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Baring a lotto win I can't afford either.

I'm the biker who buys a ten year old bike with my fingers crossed that I'm not buying a scrap heap :o

Under pressure from my family to get rid of the Z1000, they're worried about me on it and I'd rather give them piece of mind so I'm looking at an older r1200GS.

And JD in D11 (whom we can't discuss in negative terms on this forum) didn't help either.

Slightly off topic, since when can't we discuss the D11 purveyors of Bavarian motor-vehicles ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

OP, I went through a similar thought process when considering a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Researching brought up issues with certain batches of head components not hardened correctly and failures and with the old "no smoke without fire" mentality I decided to stay away, I'm just not brave enough.

Went for a GS, and whilst the reliability record of GS is far from infallible the unknowns are better known :-)

D3V!L wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, since when can't we discuss the D11 purveyors of Bavarian motor-vehicles ?

I'm not allowed get into it, but I thought I told you outside the Gypsy one night.

They didn't like some things I said, contacted boards and then a gangster movie was made.

But it wasn't all in vain, despite your bike being marked I do think they've listened to what people were posting about them in forum's like this and upped their game.

Both my son and I was very pleased with the service we got, very friendly and helpful. And giving a BMW 12 monthEuropean wide warranty and roadside assist, and that was on a 2012 bike too!.. Compare that with a six month warranty I was offered on a 2015 Verseys from Bikeworld lol.

IMO JD have made a lot of moves in the right direction, hopefully that continues because I swore I'd never touch them again after my wholly negative experience with them a few years back.

Baring a lotto win I can't afford either.

I'm the biker who buys a ten year old bike with my fingers crossed that I'm not buying a scrap heap :o

Under pressure from my family to get rid of the Z1000, they're worried about me on it and I'd rather give them piece of mind so I'm looking at an older r1200GS.

Tdm900 Mak.
    Lovely bike to drive.
    When I had my one,a lot of days I'd be reaching home and instead of turning in home, I'd keep going and give another hour or two on it before heading back.
    Won't blow your socks off but good fun all the same.

Tdm900 Mak.
    Lovely bike to drive.
    When I had my one,a lot of days I'd be reaching home and instead of turning in home, I'd keep going and give another hour or two on it before heading back.
    Won't blow your socks off but good fun all the same.

They're a bike I've never liked the look of actually.

The Zed is some craic, but I can be a bit wild sometimes and the family are worried about me on it. I'd rather not have them worry, but dammit I'll miss that Z1000 engine and the craic with no rider aids.

Ten years old, looks and rider like brand new.

But nothing is set in stone and it's 50/50 whether I'll move onto something else anytime soon.

They're a bike I've never liked the look of actually.

The Zed is some craic, but I can be a bit wild sometimes and the family are worried about me on it. I'd rather not have them worry, but dammit I'll miss that Z1000 engine and the craic with no rider aids.

Ten years old, looks and rider like brand new.

But nothing is set in stone and it's 50/50 whether I'll move onto something else anytime soon.

Yeah,I know what you are saying about the TDM.
    Probably,the main reason I sold mine.
    I got the Tiger 1050 after that and even though the Tiger outdid the TDM in most areas(besides brakes) there was something about the TDM I preferred.

If it was me I'd just keep the Zed Mak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got the Tiger 1050 after that and even though the Tiger outdid the TDM in most areas(besides brakes) there was something about the TDM I preferred.

The 270° Yamaha twin is a very nice engine, Very torquey and easy to ride.
    I might look out for a decent TDM900 myself, not caring particularly about what the bike looks like more what it rides like.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The 270° Yamaha twin is a very nice engine, Very torquey and easy to ride.
    I might look out for a decent TDM900 myself, not caring particularly about what the bike looks like more what it rides like.

Yeah, I do regret selling mine but it's hard to hold on to stuff when other bikes you want pop up.

It is one of the nicest bikes I have ever rode.
    18" inch front wheel takes a bit of getting used if pushing it on bends.
    Suspension isn't great.
    Brakes fantastic (blue spot)
    Sounds great with a set of leo vince cans as below but sounds better in real life obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

1st Gen Multistrada's (2010/2011) have peaked my interest recently.

Bit bored of my 11 year old GS, which I've had for 10 years, so due a change.

Am I mad to consider one?

I was in the same boat. Had 2 GS's for about 8 years, got bored and got a Ducati. I got a Hypermotard because I don't commute and any touring will just be a night away, 2 max.
    Bike I bought had zero service history and was lying up for 2 years. Guy had moved to Australia and his dad was selling it for him. Brought it to mototechnic, Robbie in there is bang on, wouldn't bring it anywhere else. BTW, got all the "ohh, ducati, don't go near them" stories, as Robbie said "There's a lot of shíte talked about Ducati's". He had a monster with 110k miles on it at the time. Got the belts changed, all fluids, new battery. Bike is amazing, absolutely love it and really happy I changed. I've had it about 3 years, might change it, but if I do, it'll be for something a bit different.

Check out the ducati forums, I did it before I got my Hyper. Discovered they're pretty much bullet proof motors in the 1100.
    The 2 I use are:
    http://www.ducati.ms/
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/

Advertisement