If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/V Receivers with phono input for turntable

Options
  • 15-01-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'd like to know what AVRs Richer Sounds has which include a phono input stage. (Most just have line-level input for CD players etc.)

I have just built myself a pair of full-range speakers which I'd like to be able to use for both my music listening and film watching, so it basically just needs a high quality stereo amp, phono pre-amp stage, and HDMI I/O of course.

Could you please let me know if there's anything that suits? 

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Brian wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'd like to know what AVRs Richer Sounds has which include a phono input stage. (Most just have line-level input for CD players etc.)

I have just built myself a pair of full-range speakers which I'd like to be able to use for both my music listening and film watching, so it basically just needs a high quality stereo amp, phono pre-amp stage, and HDMI I/O of course.

Could you please let me know if there's anything that suits? 

Thanks.
    Hi Brian.

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately the words High Quality stereo amp and HDMI interface do not really go hand in hand. What sort of budget would you have as receivers go into the thousands.

Stereo amps will never put HDMI's on them as they only ever run 2 channels. Of coarse you can run stereo on a A/V receiver but the stereo reproduction is never as good as a dedicated stereo amp.

Very few A/V receivers have a built in phono stage. You could also add in a separate one if the receiver did not have one built in. Might this be an option.

What turntable are you currently using that will be connected through the new amp?

For an A/V receiver with built in phono stage you would be starting at the Yamaha RXV683 priced at £399.00 - Its not too bad for stereo reproduction.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202723-rxv683.aspx
    I have an older Yamaha and run my Planar 1 through it. (All be it I use an external pre amp).

When you go into the Aventage range by Yamaha is were it starts to get really good.
    The Yamaha RXV870 sounds very nice indeed. Priced at £849.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202820-black-319406.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hi Kenny. 

You've confirmed my suspicions: my setup requirements seem to be a bit of an edge case.
    Very few A/V receivers have a built in phono stage. You could also add in a separate one if the receiver did not have one built in. Might this be an option.

What turntable are you currently using that will be connected through the new amp?

I have a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 which right now I'm running through a NAD 3020. I could continue to use the NAD, just as a phono stage, but that's increasing the size/mass/complexity/plugs of my setup. Rather the opposite of my intention!

The Yamaha 683 looks like it covers the bases, although it seems to be overkill for my system. How much would it be delivered to Dublin out of interest?

Cheers for the response.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Brian wrote: »
    Hi Kenny. 

You've confirmed my suspicions: my setup requirements seem to be a bit of an edge case.

I have a Technics SL-1200 Mk2 which right now I'm running through a NAD 3020. I could continue to use the NAD, just as a phono stage, but that's increasing the size/mass/complexity/plugs of my setup. Rather the opposite of my intention!

The Yamaha 683 looks like it covers the bases, although it seems to be overkill for my system. How much would it be delivered to Dublin out of interest?

Cheers for the response.
    Hey Brian.

Very nice turntable.

For the 683 you would be looking at 469.00 Euro delivered or £399. Which ever currency works out cheapest.

I've had another check and this seems to be the cheapest  receiver with built in phono stage.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.