Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dolores O' Riordan

• 15-01-2018 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Just like to say a few words about Delores the queen of limerick.She was such a legend and just associate her with my youth and growing up .I was in tears remembering the tape ''No need to argue''my recently deceased mother bought me for my 21st birthday .I will never forget the 90,s zombie blaring in the athlantic disco in ballyb ,brilliant times ,every thing so simple .At 46 you were too young to leave us but your music and songs will be eternal.Rest in peace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I was genuinely very saddened to hear of her passing today. When my family moved to Limerick from London when I was 15 the only reason I had any hope in moving here was that the Cranberries lived here. I spent my late teens walking all over Limerick listening and breathing in every word of their music as it just resonated with me in every way. Dolores captured every emotion for me as a young teen, my angst,my first loves and loss but most of all she made me dream that a women from Limerick could be different, daring and had the potential to change the world if she was passionate enough.

The impact she had on our little city and county at an individual level and across the globe cannot be overestimated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

panda100 wrote: »
    I was genuinely very saddened to hear of her passing today. When my family moved to Limerick from London when I was 15 the only reason I had any hope in moving here was that the Cranberries lived here. I spent my late teens walking all over Limerick listening and breathing in every word of their music as it just resonated with me in every way. Dolores captured every emotion for me as a young teen, my angst,my first loves and loss but most of all she made me dream that a women from Limerick could be different, daring and had the potential to change the world if she was passionate enough.

The impact she had on our little city and county at an individual level and across the globe cannot be overestimated.

Zombie, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts has over a billion you tube hits (combined between versions)....you'll be doing well to find an act from the 70s-00s anywhere in the world that has a song with that amount of hits....for whatever that is worth....

There are a lot of people in Limerick who have no appreciation for how big this band became....they are about to find out! This local girls death will be mourned across the world...they were massive across Europe/South America/North America/Asia....

I believe the cafe's in town were playing The Cranberries music as news spread, it would be nice if the pubs/cafes kept it up for the week...give her a bit of a send off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭893bet

I remember 10 years ago......on a beach in koh samui, a Thai band set up our first night, first song....zombie.

Was surreal!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We ended up in The Works at the end of our debs back in (Jesus) 1995. We got the DJ to play it 7 times in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Lads she was only in Limerick a few days ago, she called into my workplace and I had a brief chat with her. I was completely starstruck. Funny thing was she also called into another place in town and one of my friends met her too...said the very same thing. Ah lads...I'm very upset thinking about her now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We ended up in The Works at the end of our debs back in (Jesus) 1995. We got the DJ to play it 7 times in a row.

Legions

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Very emotive songs , no need to argue album !!a lot of teenage memories.
    I remember Angela from " my so called life" loved them too, felt so weird to me then that they were appealing to teenagers across the world, I know it was a fictional show but.
    I have decided to leave you forever and the daffodils look lovely today. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

How did she die?

That is an insensitive question and it doesn't have any impact on the tragedy of that death of someone at only 46.

I am sure the family will release a statement when they are good and ready, then everyone who wants their morbid curiosity filled can find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Lads she was only in Limerick a few days ago, she called into my workplace and I had a brief chat with her. I was completely starstruck. Funny thing was she also called into another place in town and one of my friends met her too...said the very same thing. Ah lads...I'm very upset thinking about her now.

I met her in Shannon airport the other day as she was flying out to London. Ridiculously nice, supremely talented but really underrated in Ireland when compared to how big she is in the likes of the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭davo2001

That is an insensitive question and it doesn't have any impact on the tragedy of that death of someone at only 46.

Actually it's a valid question and one that many people are asking. If you find this insensitive then you need to take a look at yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I am sure the family will release a statement when they are good and ready, then everyone who wants their morbid curiosity filled can find out.

Lie down man.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MrLaurel

I consider it a very valid question when discussing someone who passed away at the very young age of 46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

A sound track to many peoples youths.

A great musician, an unbelievable song writer and her talents will stand the test of time.

But if you read the below you'll see that she saw her self as a mammy before anything else.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/dolores-o-riordan-elfin-singer-on-whose-shoulders-fame-rested-uneasily-1.3356445

your heart would break for the three kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

davo2001 wrote: »
    Actually it's a valid question and one that many people are asking. If you find this insensitive then you need to take a look at yourself.

This is not just in response to you but others who made this same point.

As Dolores herself would sing "Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we" eh.

That logic just doesn't fly as it can be used to defend lots of indefensible things.

If you had someone close to you die suddenly for whatever reason, you will know what an insensitive question it is. Just because Dolores was in the public eye does not take that right to privacy away from her family. So I will reiterate, when her family are good and ready they will make a statement that will help those with a morbid curiosity.
    Until then all you will get is unreliable hearsay and do you think it is appropriate to spread that around for her children to read into the future.
    I might be a snowflake but I don't think that is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭supernova5

I can cast my mind back to February 1993 when living in Oakland California and this most alternative of alternative rock stations based in San Francisco were playing "Linger" and DJ's referring to "this quaint little Irish band called The Cranberries.
    being Irish, pride was bursting through my veins to hear this hauntingly beautiful and superbly crafted tune being played on what was such an out there cutting edge radio channel
    back in those days google and the internet were essentially non existent and I'm trying my utmost to find out more about this band
    I immediately went searching music shops and eventually found one who just got in a batch of "Everybody Else is doing it, so why can't we"

what a lot of people don't realise is how big this band became practically overnight in many parts of the world

trying to hold back the tears here now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

That logic just doesn't fly as it can be used to defend lots of indefensible things.

If you had someone close to you die suddenly for whatever reason, you will know what an insensitive question it is. Just because Dolores was in the public eye does not take that right to privacy away from her family. So I will reiterate, when her family are good and ready they will make a statement that will help those with a morbid curiosity.
    Until then all you will get is unreliable hearsay and do you think it is appropriate to spread that around for her children to read into the future.

Thanks for speaking on behalf of the family confirming that they will be making a statement when they are ready.

Its a perfectly valid question to ask and every time somebody I know passes away its the first everybody asks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, the simple fact is that nobody knows how she died and it's not going to be released to the public anytime soon. And the way things work in the UK it'll be days before even the family know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

My apologies. I had posted the question and then thought I had deleted it. I deleted it because I thought it insensitive. I had it up for ten seconds and then I thought I deleted it. Its my fault for not checking it had been deleted,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Get off the horse for God sake, maybe it was a little insensitive but you’re out of order with the superior tone in response to a quite innocent question.

Great voice, lovely lyrics RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A lot of people slagged off that band over the years. They're coming out of the woodwork now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I had a few dealings with her through my old job all be it just over the phone... she came accross as such a warm, friendly, softly spoken lady who was a pleasure to help and deal with.... gone WAY too soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Strumms wrote: »
    I had a few dealings with her through my old job all be it just over the phone... she came accross as such a warm, friendly, softly spoken lady who was a pleasure to help and deal with.... gone WAY too soon..

She definitely wasnt nice and warm when flying is what I've heard, and the air rage incident only compounds that fact.

I have heard since her death that she like the quoted post, was very warm, friendly etc.

I do mourn her loss for the exposure she granted Limerick with her success and for being an outstanding singer/songwriter. She will be missed for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Always loved The Cramberries. I know its a phrase thrown around by a lot of people over the last few day but they really were a sound track to my mid teens for me and my wife. Really sad Dolores has passed on. Always hoped they would come back with another big album. Her voice was so unique. Had to smile this evening tho my 4 year daughter rocks on in singing zombie zombie zombie and says "daddy can you play more of this lady for me" looks like these few days will spawn a new generation of Cranberries followers!

For anyone who want to pay their final respects.

DOLORES O'RIORDAN

Late of Ballybricken, Bohermore and Canada.
    Daughter of the late Terry.
    Former member of the Cranberries.
    Very deeply regretted by her loving mother Eileen, children Taylor, Molly and Dakota and their father,
    Sister Angela, brothers Terence, Brendan, Donal, Joseph and P.J., brother-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, other relatives and a large circle of friends.
    May She Rest In Peace
    Public reposal on Sunday (January 21st) at St. Joseph's Church, O'Connell Avenue, Limerick, from 12.30pm to 4.00pm. Reposing at Cross' Funeral Home, Ballyneety, Monday (January 22nd) from 4pm followed by removal at 8pm to St. Ailbes' Church, Ballybricken. Requiem Mass, Tuesday (January 23rd) at 11.30am followed by private family Burial

I went down to the public reposal yesterday at am still thinking about it this morning. I am haunted by how simple it was. St Josephs is a church that holds a lot of memories for me and my family, and I'm sure many Limerick people. To see one of Irelands most celebrated and iconic rockstars in the simple surrounds of St Josephs struck me as poignant, as it was Dolores never forgot her roots.
    Every second person in the extensive crowd I knew of recognised from about town. It was very good of the family to allow Limerick to say goodbye in such a genuine and modest way.

I went down to Bobby Brynes afterwards and beside me sat two Spanish girls visibly upset after coming from the church and they were being comforted by some Munster fans waiting for the match to begin. It was very Limerick but also spoke to the testament of an inspirational Limerick women, who through her music and now in her death, could bring whole communities together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Having travelled a lot in the late 1990s I;ve always been aware of how globally popular the Cranberries are. And in particular Dolores. You'd go to places like Peru or Mexico, and people would start talking about the Cranberries when they hear you are Irish. I heard their music on the radio in places like Laos and Mongolia.

I'm not sure why Ireland never really 'got' the cranberries; compared to say the reverence Shane McGowan was shown at his 60th birthday celebrations last week. Irish music radio has most certainly not been wall to wall Cranberries this week, unlike say when David Bowie died. Perplexes me, the songs are stunning, really really good.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Having travelled a lot in the late 1990s I;ve always been aware of how globally popular the Cranberries are. And in particular Dolores. You'd go to places like Peru or Mexico, and people would start talking about the Cranberries when they hear you are Irish. I heard their music on the radio in places like Laos and Mongolia.

I'm not sure why Ireland never really 'got' the cranberries; compared to say the reverence Shane McGowan was shown at his 60th birthday celebrations last week. Irish music radio has most certainly not been wall to wall Cranberries this week, unlike say when David Bowie died. Perplexes me, the songs are stunning, really really good.

Well, when you look at who we do "get", maybe that explains it. I know it's all subjective, but the Cranberries would be in a different territory to the likes of The Coronas or Bressie (what a hunk! he's a rugby player! wow!). Ireland seems to "get" The Coronas, Bressie, Nathan Carter etc.
    Not a criticism, just an observation. Plus the Cranberries has a bit of the auld Frank McCourt treatment. Not rated at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Would you put the Cranberries in the same league as The Pogues? The Cranberries had some great tunes for sure but I don't think they'd have the musical or lyrical depth that The Pogues had. I would say their incredible international popularity and success is very much down to O'Riordan's voice and style and character. That said, I do think they weren't given nearly enough recognition in Ireland given their huge success and I'd say being from Limerick didn't especially help them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

zulutango wrote: »
    Would you put the Cranberries in the same league as The Pogues? The Cranberries had some great tunes for sure but I don't think they'd have the musical or lyrical depth that The Pogues had. I would say their incredible international popularity and success is very much down to O'Riordan's voice and style and character. That said, I do think they weren't given nearly enough recognition in Ireland given their huge success and I'd say being from Limerick didn't especially help them.

Such an unfortunate thing to have to say but true nonetheless...

While The Cranberries were never "hip or cool" as such, a bit like Limerick really...their reach went across the world, it is fair to say that Zombie is probably the most recognised Irish (or British for that matter) song of all time...something most bands that we like to believe are "hip or cool" don't succeed in doing...

What I loved about Delores was that accent, she never lost it...she was ridiculed for it by sections of the Irish press, but was always proud of it and where she was from...

I would say that her voice was far superior to Shane McGowans; I would say that the Cranberries wrote a number of songs that are absolutely top class songs. She is a different type of artist to Shane McGowan clearly, and I wouldnt personally put one above the other. Would you?

I would say that as an artist she is someone who produced songs that are challenging and pushed people out of their comfort zone. Zombie being an obvious. But even more so, Ode to my Family - you dont see Irish people being so open about how they are, and how they relate to the families they come from.

I think her mental health challenges turned people here away, because basically people here still dont know how to deal with that.

You mention the accent 'and because she is from Limerick' - I think you are right, in the sense that people might say her accent got in their nerves. But they would say the same thing about Damien Dempsey, who I'd see as a very similar sort of artist though on a different scale.

Clearly, her Limerick accent didnt hold her back anywhere else except Ireland.

On the other hand - Christy Moore sings in his Kildare accent, and everyone loves it because he is affable and not particularly challenging. Joxer Goes to Stuttgart.

All fair points.

I read a long piece by barry Egan in Sunday indo. She endured a lot of sexual abuse at a very young age. For some reason she never pursued a prosecution . She achieved a huge amount despite all of that .
    May she rest in peace now .

Is there any proof that she/the band were held back in Ireland because they were from limerick or because of her accent?
    They’re the most successful band after U2 to come out of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

They didn't need recognition or mass popularity in Ireland. They sold 40 million albums and sold out concerts all over the world.

They are a hugely successful international act and one of the few Irish acts to be massive in America.

They were taken for granted here and somewhat dismissed for whatever reason. Not that I'd say they gave two ****s about to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Because there a rock band and people would rather there cookie cutter ****e like Bressie or Koronas or even recently U2 has gone that way

And why would you bring up Sexual abuse in a thread mourning her .........some people I swear

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is there any proof that she/the band were held back in Ireland because they were from limerick or because of her accent?
    They’re the most successful band after U2 to come out of Ireland.

It's generally accepted that they didn't get recognition (radio play, interviews, tv appearances, etc) until they started to do well in the US when their first album soared in the charts over there. If I recall correctly they made the claim themselves in an early interview. And in Limerick that's put down to the fact that they are from Limerick. It may not be that, and I'm not sure what proof there could be for such a claim, but if that's not the reason, then what is? The alternative view is that they weren't highly rated by the Irish music press and that's why they were ignored.

It's generally accepted that they didn't get recognition (radio play, interviews, tv appearances, etc) until they started to do well in the US when their first album soared in the charts over there. If I recall correctly they made the claim themselves in an early interview. And in Limerick that's put down to the fact that they are from Limerick. It may not be that, and I'm not sure what proof there could be for such a claim, but if that's not the reason, then what is? The alternative view is that they weren't highly rated by the Irish music press and that's why they were ignored.

Maybe, but I don't buy the fact there was some conspiracy against them in Ireland just because they weren't from Dublin. Ireland in general wasn't too good to them, not that I'd say they cared either way.
    That's not unique to the Cranberries though. There are other examples.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it was a conspiracy, but more to do with a general prejudice against the city that they weren't taken too seriously. I don't agree or disagree with it, as there's many factors and I don't think we can say with absolute certainty what the dominant ones were. There was certainly prejudice within the city, for what it's worth, because some of them were from Moyross. I remember that being a talking point and people I knew dismissed them for that reason. I also think part of their initial lack of recognition was simply down to not being noticed because they weren't playing in the venues of Dublin. Another factor could be that singing in a strong Irish accent didn't appeal to Irish audiences whereas it did appeal to international audiences, particularly in the US (they didn't have any success in the UK or Ireland prior to that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Comhrá

It seems to be part of the Irish psyche that sometimes we can't be sure one if our own is really good enough to merit super-star status until the UK or the USA or the world at large endorses them first. Then if they're accorded the success their talent merits (as was the case with the Cranberries) then we at home are happy to acknowledge their greatness.

Just part of our Irishness - lack of self-belief and over-concern with how the world at large perceives us.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it was a conspiracy, but more to do with a general prejudice against the city that they weren't taken too seriously. I'm don't agree or disagree with it, as there's many factors and I don't think we can say with absolute certainty what the dominant ones were. There was certainly prejudice within the city, for what it's worth, because some of them were from Moyross. I remember that being a talking point and people I knew dismissed them for that reason. I also think part of their initial lack of recognition was simply down to not being noticed because they weren't playing in the venues of Dublin. Another factor could be that singing in a strong Irish accent didn't appeal to Irish audiences whereas it did appeal to international audiences, particularly in the US (they didn't have any success in the UK or Ireland prior to that).

On another note, when will we see a band come out of Moyross again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bit of coverage in the UK, LBC Radio have announced the funeral on their news bulletins, including some of the ceremony.

seachto7 wrote: »
    On another note, when will we see a band come out of Moyross again!

Who knows! It would be great if we did.

Who knows! It would be great if we did.

I can't think of many bands who are coming from working class estates these days... guitar bands I mean, not rap.

I really don't think it should matter where a band are from. I wasn't into them at the time simply because it wasn't my type of music. There seems to be a feeling you have to be working class to play rock but i think thats nonsense.
    Its usually peddled by middle class hacks who like their rock stars rough.
    Amazing how bruce Springsteen trades on the working class motiff but has been a multi millionaire since 1975
    The cranberries have been millionaires about 20 odd years and are no more working class today than Shane ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

When I first heard The Cranberries I thought they were from the north! Didn't realise (or care) that they were from Limerick until a couple years later.

I really don't think it should matter where a band are from. I wasn't into them at the time simply because it wasn't my type of music. There seems to be a feeling you have to be working class to play rock but i think thats nonsense.
    Its usually peddled by middle class hacks who like their rock stars rough.
    Amazing how bruce Springsteen trades on the working class motiff but has been a multi millionaire since 1975
    The cranberries have been millionaires about 20 odd years and are no more working class today than Shane ross

That's not what I'm saying or said. Most bands anyway these days are middle class. So, should Bruce have changed who he was just because of his bank balance? The Cranberries didn't.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I think her mental health challenges turned people here away, because basically people here still dont know how to deal with that.

There was a really excellent letter in The Limerick Leader today and it made me think of this comment. Thought I would post it up here so everyone could have a read of it and try and be a bit more compassionate and understanding to those living with bipolar :)

ger%20letter_zpsdmtgrer1.jpg

Thanks for that.

I read the Miriam Lord piece from the Irish Times. Two lines in particular stood out for me:

"The local community closed protectively around the family. Lads from the Ballybricken/Bohermore GAA club provided stewarding along the roads. Local houses opened their driveways so people could park. Farmers opened fields in case there was an overflow."

and

"There was a whirring sound in the distance, like agricultural machinery in one of the fields. But it wasn’t. It was a drone, photographing the scene."

Two extremes of Irish society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement