Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolores O' Riordan

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

panda100 wrote: »
    Well she's not a rugby player and not a man so I doubt city hall will be jumping over themselves to commemorate her in any real way.

Well the Opera Centre is "named" in honour of Catherine Hayes
    Kate O'Brien House is named after, well herself.
    The Condell Road is named after Francis Condell

To name but a few....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Well she's not a rugby player and not a man so I doubt city hall will be jumping over themselves to commemorate her in any real way.

I think you are looking for sexism in a place where for once it wouldn't be one of their defining traits...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Kate O'Brien House is named after, well herself.

???? Do you mean Boru House, named after the infamous Brian? Kate O'Brien was born there and there were plans to turn it into a museum dedicated to her life and work but no-one wanted to actually set it up and run it so the place is a rented private residence now.

iguana wrote: »
    ???? Do you mean Boru House, named after the infamous Brian? Kate O'Brien was born there and there were plans to turn it into a museum dedicated to her life and work but no-one wanted to actually set it up and run it so the place is a rented private residence now.

Ya I stand corrected... http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=LI&regno=21519001 ...

I know there is a festival named in her honour though... http://limerickliteraryfestival.com/ ....I don't think Frank McCourt has one in his honour...

Anyway, my point still stands...I don't think anyone in the city can claim that woman are forgotten about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

To name but a few....

To name two, not a few.
    Anyway, my point still stands...I don't think anyone in the city can claim that woman are forgotten about....

I don't think anyone can argue that women are celebrated in the same way that men are in this city? It would be inaccurate to say that there is an equal distribution of memorials, dedications, statues and place names dedicated to women as there are men, as there are clearly not. This is amplified in a 'sporting' city like Limerick, that places so much value on an individuals performance on a rugby or hurling pitch.

Anyways I don't want to derail a thread about Dolores and I hope there is a fitting and apt tribute to her in the city.

• Advertisement

To name two, not a few.

I don't think anyone can argue that women are celebrated in the same way that men are in this city? It would be inaccurate to say that there is an equal distribution of memorials, dedications, statues and place names dedicated to women as there are men, as there are clearly not. This is amplified in a 'sporting' city like Limerick, that places so much value on an individuals performance on a rugby or hurling pitch.

Anyways I don't want to derail a thread about Dolores and I hope there is a fitting and apt tribute to her in the city.

"Sporting Limerick" is a brand, that is all it is...it was a brand created as a counter narrative to "crime Limerick"...it was not created to honour men...and exclude women...

There are plenty of famous men who have been forgotten about as I'm sure there are plenty of famous women who have been forgotten about... this list might help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Limerick_people

This is getting a little silly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The family ,friends and fans of delores are surely relieved at the results of the inquest .Her untimely death seems to have introduced her music legacy to a new generation .It was poignant and fitting to hear her voice echo around croke park after limerick hurling success .I doubt it would have being herd only for her demise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Dolores passed away three years ago today.

RIP Dolores. I listen to you every day.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Zombie thread? I'll allow it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MarkR wrote: »

Ironic.

Music of a generation. Skin tingles to think she's no longer around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

yop wrote: »
    Ironic.

Music of a generation. Skin tingles to think she's no longer around.

Pun intended. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭893bet

I am actually surprised it only 3 years? Feels longer when normally I think “can’t believe it’s 5 years already”.

Such a pity they never got to play Thomand Park or the castle (tickets would have been impossible for castle though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I hope this Zombie thread will linger on. ;)

Here's a lovely version and makes a fitting tribute to Dolores.

Choir! Choir! Choir! sings The Cranberries "Zombie" (Toronto Canada)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

What's in your head?

phill106 wrote: »
    What's in your head?

Dreams Linger In My Head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

893bet wrote: »
    I am actually surprised it only 3 years? Feels longer when normally I think “can’t believe it’s 5 years already”.

Such a pity they never got to play Thomand Park or the castle (tickets would have been impossible for castle though).

Was lucky enough to see them for the Special Olympics opening ceremony in Thomond Park. They only played five or six songs but were amazing. Also saw them in the Point depot in 95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

adaminho wrote: »
    Was lucky enough to see them for the Special Olympics opening ceremony in Thomond Park. They only played five or six songs but were amazing. Also saw them in the Point depot in 95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDcAsrZd_s

Mod edit to embed the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I hope this Zombie thread will linger on. ;)

Here's a lovely version and makes a fitting tribute to Dolores.

Choir! Choir! Choir! sings The Cranberries "Zombie" (Toronto Canada)

I prefer the Aussie "Pub Choir" version :D

https://youtu.be/pSSCGoEKgjY

Advertisement