Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent damage

Options
  • 16-01-2018 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Odd question
    Friends car was badly damaged by a rat getting into it...a lot of wires chewed and other stuff inside of the car (171 golf).
    Garage was actually shocked at the amount of damage.This was done over the Christmas in the space of a week where the car was not in use.
    Thing is it’s costing him nearly 2 grand for repairs and insurance company have told him they don’t cover rodant damage even though he is fully comp..
    So has anyone had anything similar happen or heard of this happening ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

harr wrote: »
    Odd question
    Friends car was badly damaged by a rat getting into it...a lot of wires chewed and other stuff inside of the car (171 golf).
    Garage was actually shocked at the amount of damage.This was done over the Christmas in the space of a week where the car was not in use.
    Thing is it’s costing him nearly 2 grand for repairs and insurance company have told him they don’t cover rodant damage even though he is fully comp..
    So has anyone had anything similar happen or heard of this happening ?

Unless the policy wording specifically excludes it then it would be covered under fully comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Check your policy wording. It should be clear enough. Off the top of my head, Aviva cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rraido

Some insurers cover it, a friend of mine had this problem and they wrote her car off, granted it was a ten year old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Anther issue is getting a garage to work on it. I've had many where they refuse to let a rodent damaged vehicle across the forecourt. Understandable, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Check your policy wording. It should be clear enough. Off the top of my head, Aviva cover it.

+1.

I suspect that the insurers have confused themselves with a household insurance policy where rodent damage would often be excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for the replies...he is going to go through his insurance paperwork this evening to see if it mentions rodent damage.
    Should it be that easy for a rat to get into a car ?
    The damage is extensive , I haven’t seen the car myself as he lives a bit away but garage are not even sure they can repair it without having to send car away for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The 2 most common routes for rats/mice getting into a car are, carried in in bags of refuse or outdoor purchases from garden centres and the like, the other common one is getting in thru' the vent flaps in the rear of the car, fitting a bit of wire mesh is a good idea if this is suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

I know some companies do exclude it. As above, best to check.

Seen one recently with 10+ rats in it, they devoured most of the wiring that they could actually get at, and seats etc. Grim.

Advertisement