Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnecting Fluorescent Light Ballast

Options
  • 16-01-2018 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

Any electricians in the house? My Fluorescent is flickering and good bulb and starter later and it still won't come on fully - which leads me to believe it's the ballast? Pic below shows the two cables connected to the ballast but even after loosening off the screws the cables refuse to come out of the connector. Is there something else I need to do with the connector to get the cables out?

2evu9w3.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Phil.x

newmember? wrote: »
    Any electricians in the house? My Fluorescent is flickering and good bulb and starter later and it still won't come on fully - which leads me to believe it's the ballast? Pic below shows the two cables connected to the ballast but even after loosening off the screws the cables refuse to come out of the connector. Is there something else I need to do with the connector to get the cables out?

2evu9w3.jpg

Ballast looks OK, not burnt looking.
    Do you have the right starter.
    The screws hold the connector block to the wire in the ballast so don't unscrew that, it's the slots that need opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's a 28W bulb. I had been using 65W starters all along and they were lighting the bulb, but would this be my problem and if so what range starter should i be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Phil.x

newmember? wrote: »
    It's a 28W bulb. I had been using 65W starters all along and they were lighting the bulb, but would this be my problem and if so what range starter should i be looking for?

No that's the right starter, is it new as well as the lamp. Can you try another lamp and starter just in case one is faulty, it can and does happen.
    Other than that, change the ballast out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely the lamp or starter is faulty.
    Try them in a similar light if possible so that you can work out which it is.

It would be better to replace the light with a more energy efficient unit.
    These types of lights are pretty dated.

Advertisement