Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilt and homesickness?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I arrived in Australia 2 months ago. At first it was brilliant, it felt like I was on holiday and I was having the time of my life. I felt a bit guilty that I didn’t really miss my family back home. Now that things have settled down I’m starting to feel quite homesick. I keep thinking about my family back home and longing to see them. I also feel guilty because my parents are getting older and I feel I should be home with them. I keep getting reminders of my family and getting upset. But if I did go home, I’m pretty sure I’d sorely regret it. Has anyone else gone through this? If so did your homesickness settle down? At this moment in time I’d just give anything to be able to pop into the house and say hello :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you skype and/or facetime them?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

I think this is a pretty normal feeling to have. I have lived abroad for almost five years now but I remember when I first left home I had the same feeling as you, the pure novelty and freedom of it was exhilarating. It's only natural that as that starts to wear off you feel some homesickness. In my experience this sort of levelled out after a while, don't get me wrong I still get homesick from time to time but life becomes more normal and home doesn't really feel like home in the same way.
    I would say stick it out for at least a year. You didn't move to the other side of the world to turn around and come back. You will get over this and come out the other side all the better for it. Then you can make the decision to go home if you like, without emotions swaying it and the possibility of wondering what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

It is the most normal thing in the world. I am always homesick but sometimes I let it really get to me and I get very down about it, now when I feel those times coming on I do all I can to drag myself out of it. It is a horrible feeling. Keep busy, and make lots of plans. You will feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My entire family live in Perth. They emigrated in 1970 and left my mother here. I only found out this year that they actually left on her wedding day. She thought she would never see them again. My mam is currently over there on her 30th trip and was on the news for this.

Their advice is it took two years to become accustomed to Australia. You need to give it time. Personally I could never live over there as it's still got an attitude towards women. Having said that driving over the m50 last night with sleet...i might reconsider!

Oh and the guilt goes both ways. My nana is 91 and that's why mam goes so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

2 years in 1970 is a lot different to 2 years now. In 1970 communication would have been very difficult and maybe that made it easier to cut ties and "forget" a bit more easily.
    I have been here 5 years and I think you have to give it at least that, if not more.
    I am not sure what you mean by "an attitude towards women" that isn't the point of this thread I guess, but from my perspective as a woman living in Australia I see no real difference in attitudes towards women here from the normal everyday people, maybe out in remote communities women might not be treated with the respect they deserve but in regular society there is no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I get what you're saying. It took six weeks to get there years ago.

I still do find Perth miles behind...was in Melbourne last and was miles ahead.

Anyway here's my mam on cnn! https://thewest.com.au/news/today-tonight/cnn-travel-ranks-perth-as-a-2018-must-see-destination-bc-5702862890001

Advertisement