Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6N Tournament 2018 (non-Irish TT)

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

jr86 wrote: »
    Even 03 is a funny enough one. Wales were awful back then, so that was a gimme quarter and France never turned up in the semis (they were such an enigma in those days). It was pissing rain I remember and England basically beat them in a kicking battle - Michalak had a mare after a stunning tournament

Had they played France on a good day or the All Blacks I'm not sure they'd have won it out. All ifs and buts I know.

Be interesting to see would many of the current team start then. Completely different game back then though. Obviously Vunipola and Tuilagi would cause mass destruction in those days. Watson for Cohen probably and Mako Vunipola LH prop.

But if you stuck even Jonny May into that team he could have been a world beater, when they had such a good pack and out-half. Very hard to compare

Here's the 2003 forwards:
    Jason Leonard (NEC Harlequins), Phil Vickery (Gloucester), Julian White (Leicester Tigers), Trevor Woodman (Gloucester) Mark Regan (Leeds Tykes), Steve Thompson (Northampton Saints), Dorian West (Leicester Tigers)

Second rows: Danny Grewcock (Bath), Martin Johnson, CAPTAIN (Leicester Tigers), Ben Kay (Leicester Tigers),

Back-row: Neil Back (Leicester Tigers), Martin Corry, (Leicester Tigers), Lawrence Dallaglio (London Wasps), Richard Hill (Saracens), Lewis Moody (Leicester Tigers), Joe Worsley (London Wasps)

Here's the 2007 forwards:
    Andrew Sheridan, Perry Freshwater, Phil Vickery (capt), Matt Stevens, Mark Regan, George Chuter, Lee Mears, Simon Shaw, Steve Borthwick, Ben Kay, Martin Corry, Lewis Moody, Joe Worsley, Tom Rees, Nick Easter, Lawrence Dallaglio.

Notable retirements were Leonard, Johnson and Hill. Maybe Back. Overall, the 2003 pack was much stronger.

Maybe Farrell would get on the team. Hartley maybe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Even 03 is a funny enough one. Wales were awful back then, so that was a gimme quarter and France never turned up in the semis (they were such an enigma in those days). It was pissing rain I remember and England basically beat them in a kicking battle - Michalak had a mare after a stunning tournament

Had they played France on a good day or the All Blacks I'm not sure they'd have won it out. All ifs and buts I know.

Be interesting to see would many of the current team start then. Completely different game back then though. Obviously Vunipola and Tuilagi would cause mass destruction in those days. Watson for Cohen probably and Mako Vunipola LH prop.

But if you stuck even Jonny May into that team he could have been a world beater, when they had such a good pack and out-half. Very hard to compare
    Wales were very competitive in the 2003 WC.

If Mike Catt hadn't come on and steadied the ship we were well on the way to dumping them out in the QF.

As for NZ ... if they would have stuck with DC @10 rather than Spencer I reckon they would have won it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Do the Scottish defence want a rattle to go with that dummy the outhalf sold them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Wales were very competitive in the 2003 WC.

If Mike Catt hadn't come on and steadied the ship we were well on the way to dumping them out in the QF.

As for NZ ... if they would have stuck with DC @10 rather than Spencer I reckon they would have won it!

They were 0/5 in the 6n 2003 though.

They improved somewhat at the WC, but the England match was never really in doubt when they copped on in the 2nd half, despite a Shane Williams first half masterclass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Italy are just so bad. Really utterly brainless at times. So frustrating to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

That England team was unique. They beat the big 3 in November 2002, won the slam in 03 in style, beat South Africa in group stages and France/Australia in latter rounds. Back then the top 5 teams in the world were New Zealand England Australia South Africa and France (in no order) England accounted for 3 of these in the World Cup. Wilkinson World Cup show that year will not be touched in my life time. He was majastic

Italy brilliant at the end except the final pass was never given. What a waste of chances on each wing. Criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Absolutely. Tait was top class on his day too but riddled with injuries the poor b@stard. And Johnson inexplicably opted for Tindall over him, when he took over.

Robinson was coming to the end that time. They pretty much beat Australia via scrums alone in the Quarters, and France just collapsed in the semi

Even today, Catt in 07, Farrell, Hipkiss, Noon, Barkley, Perry, Gomarsall or Richards would not get within an asses roar of the squad

The starting pack was massively physical in those days.

That infamous almost try in that final could have won the game for England. South Africa were the better team but fell over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Go on Italy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

mangobob wrote: »
    Italy are just so bad. Really utterly brainless at times. So frustrating to watch.

What does that make Scotland ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

What does that make Scotland ?!

Yeah I didn't express that well. What I meant was, they can play brilliantly, do all the hard work and the stuff up the simple things at the end with utterly stupid errors. Makes me tear my hair out.

They are clearly the better team here and deserve to win this. But they always seem to find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. Just hope they can hang on here.

Squeaky bum time for Italy.

Advertisement