Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice Warning for Ulster : PM 17th/AM 18th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Orange warning out for snow and ice

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    An Atlantic depression will cross Ireland this evening and early tonight bringing a spell of snow on its northern flank. This will be followed by scattered snow showers later in the night and Thursday. At present, the main risk of appreciable accumulations is limited to Ulster.

Issued:Wednesday 17 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:Wednesday 17 January 2018 18:00 to Thursday 18 January 2018 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Aldergrove (Belfast) forecasting heavy snow from 7pm onwards,clearing after midnight. Some parts of the north are going to get pasted!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Aldergrove (Belfast) forecasting heavy snow from 7pm onwards,clearing after midnight. Some parts of the north are going to get pasted!

I feel this is going to end up being a golden winter for much of Northern Ireland. The eastern half of Northern Ireland is doing particularly well and they could well end up with a serious dumping of snow tonight. The Mourne mountains must have some very deep snow there already. These areas also had an insane snow event during March 2013, with scenes that rivaled the 1982 blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It's so annoying how much snow Northern Ireland gets compared to Galway considering its not that far away:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hooter23 wrote: »
    It's so annoying how much snow Northern Ireland gets compared to Galway considering its not that far away:mad:

I am sure they say the same up north about Scotland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Gonzo wrote: »
    Aldergrove (Belfast) forecasting heavy snow from 7pm onwards,clearing after midnight.  Some parts of the north are going to get pasted!

I feel this is going to end up being a golden winter for much of Northern Ireland. The eastern half of Northern Ireland is doing particularly well and they could well end up with a serious dumping of snow tonight. The Mourne mountains must have some very deep snow there already. These areas also had an insane snow event during March 2013, with scenes that rivaled the 1982 blizzard.
    I remember that night very well, took the chances and headed for the Glens of Antrim and my god what a snow fest it was!  I remember driving up a mountain road, heading back towards home with maybe only 40 miles to go and came across a tree that had blocked the road, turned round, tried another road, this time the snow was the main problem, it just kept getting deeper and deeper until eventually the snow started bottoming out the jeep and making the wheels float.  In the end we had to do a 3 hour detour to get back home.
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48039_1406792349583619_1587502817_n.jpg?oh=b3b785cf401723c034ff273d2bf57cea&oe=5ADC3A32
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1896883_1406792382916949_1704463915_n.jpg?oh=ccfe576b1b7a78e56549d4b52cd1231d&oe=5AE4E47F
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1966669_1406792346250286_807331778_n.jpg?oh=b1a902ac7d82b9075ae054e369b46b91&oe=5AEFD680

• Registered Users Posts: 68,758 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What is the timing for this event please? When will it start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

For us down south, as suggested in MT's forecast this morning, we aren't without hope of more snow tomorrow afternoon / evening. The always understated GFS offers the following right now.....

57-574UK.GIF?17-6

A bit of support (but not much) from Hirlam and Euro 04.

Will keep an eye out just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 1800Z this evening shows double warm fronts crossing the country eastwards at 40 knots (the first one stretching from Sligo to Wexford). Widespread moderate rain/drizzle, with occasional moderate snow north of 54N.

They have the low centre 988 hPa located at 54N 14W, or about 200 km WSW of Belmullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Think this Orange warning (for snow/ice) was a bit too late.
    The MetUK had issued this already for much of Ulster/Border regions effective from 3pm Tues to midnight Tue, now over.
    Hence many roads closed last night, and schools closed early yesterday and still this morning.

Today (Wed) onwards will mainly all be about rain accompanied by very strong winds,
    the Snowarmageddon is probably over except for elevated/exposed positions in Donegal for a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 1800Z this evening shows double warm fronts crossing the country eastwards at 40 knots (the first one stretching from Sligo to Wexford). Widespread moderate rain/drizzle, with occasional moderate snow north of 54N.

They have the low centre 988 hPa located at 54N 14W, or about 200 km WSW of Belmullet.
    I`m roughly 54.2N, and 240feet asl

Rain? Snow?

Both?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I remember that night very well, took the chances and headed for the Glens of Antrim and my god what a snow fest it was!  I remember driving up a mountain road, heading back towards home with maybe only 40 miles to go and came across a tree that had blocked the road, turned round, tried another road, this time the snow was the main problem, it just kept getting deeper and deeper until eventually the snow started bottoming out the jeep and making the wheels float.  In the end we had to do a 3 hour detour to get back home.
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48039_1406792349583619_1587502817_n.jpg?oh=b3b785cf401723c034ff273d2bf57cea&oe=5ADC3A32
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1896883_1406792382916949_1704463915_n.jpg?oh=ccfe576b1b7a78e56549d4b52cd1231d&oe=5AE4E47F
    https://scontent.flhr4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1966669_1406792346250286_807331778_n.jpg?oh=b1a902ac7d82b9075ae054e369b46b91&oe=5AEFD680

Did you go up Glenshane at all? The Pondarosa was totally encased in snow the next morning, the whole front of the building was just white with huge drifts. Couldn't risk pulling over for a picture as the hard shoulder was under deep snow but disappointing one never appeared online.

I think that was actually the last time I've seen any meaningful lying snow at low levels before last night, even at sea level in Belfast the snow was about a foot deep and didn't melt until well into April

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

[qu AAJuote="Accumulator;105869339"]Think this Orange warning (for snow/ice) was a bit too late.
    The MetUK had issued this already for much of Ulster/Border regions effective from 3pm Tues to midnight Tue, now over.
    Hence many roads closed last night, and schools closed early yesterday and still this morning.

Today (Wed) onwards will mainly all be about rain accompanied by very strong winds,
    the Snowarmageddon is probably over except for elevated/exposed positions in Donegal for a short time.
    [/quote]

I take it you agree rebel!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Its looking like this frontal event might be more of a far northern snowfall event. Would I be right? Im right on the border and looking at some of the graphics from BBc and Uk Met the snow seems to be further north. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

justy182 wrote: »
    Its looking like this frontal event might be more of a far northern snowfall event. Would I be right? Im right on the border and looking at some of the graphics from BBc and Uk Met the snow seems to be further north. Thoughts?

I was thinking the same when I looked at this morning's GFS run, all depends how much mild air in entrenched in this system, but to my untrained eye maybe only higher mountains of Donegal will get snow. of course it does cool down again later tomorrow and Friday looks cold enough for snow if there is any precipitation around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking like a wet one here for the night. Will be very surprise if I see any snow. Met Eireann may need to lift the Orange warning for Cavan as its still 4c here and lashing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Temperatures dropping here in south Laois, they peaked at 6.4c earlier this afternoon, however they are 4.4c now. Light breezes around 10mph, gusting 20mph. All the snow has thawed. We had a little over 1cm covering here this morning. Not expecting any snow here tonight, currently raining.

Interesting to see how the Hirlam pans out. 12Z version has rain turning to snow in the north Meath & Louth area later in the evening. Currently raining here in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »
    Temperatures dropping here in south Laois, they peaked at 6.4c earlier this afternoon, however they are 4.4c now.

Same temp reading here: 4.4c. Wind backing SSW to SSE. 96% Rh.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temp here has after fallen from 5C, back to 4C.

From what I can see there is very little snow falling over Ulster. Lots of sleet there but it's turning back towards rain in some places for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Gonzo wrote: »
    temp here has after fallen from 5C, back to 4C.

From what I can see there is very little snow falling over Ulster. Lots of sleet there but it's turning back towards rain in some places for now.

I don't think it's due to turn to snow until about 8pm or so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

2c and light sleet reported at Knock at 1800.

Current DPs. Need to be dropping a bit I think in the areas expecting snow. Nice contrast through the country.

pointrosee_uk_xqs1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing here for the last 20 mins, had a slight thaw today but still a good 2 inches lying.

S.E. Sligo 255m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Bucketing down here in north meath.....Rain

pouring here too. All snow from last night just about melted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Proper dinner plate flakes here in Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

If this rain has turned to snow up north, they're in for a good evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Met Éireann midnight aviation chart gives the same snow chance as it has for 1800, i.e. widespread rain/drizzle, but occasional snow north of 54N.

Rain at 6 pm has now turned to snow at 7 pm at the North's highest station, Lough Fea (225 m). 14 cm lying snow there, temp 0.3, dp 0.1, wet bulb 0.2. Glennane (160 m) still reporting rain (temp 1.2, dp 0 9, wet bulb 1.1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Heavy snow in Fermanagh at the moment.

Advertisement