Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Note left on windscreen

Options
  • 16-01-2018 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, looking for some advice on how to best cover myself here. Well this was my GF rather than me. She parks at the dart every morning, and yesterday on her return at 6pm found a note on her windscreen saying:
    Hi, you crashed into my bumper, I have taken pictures of the damage. Please call me to resolve:
    087xxxxxxx

Needless to say my GF did not crash into this car. I told her not to engage or contact this person. It all seems very scammy. But what's to stop this person logging a claim with their insurance and my GF losing out for something that never happened? Should she contact her insurance? The gards? Any thoughts appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Gardai will have zero interest. Even if she actually had hit them, they still wouldn't have any interest after the fact. Frankly, there is nothing at all stopping anyone from taking anyone's details from your windscreen. I'd ring your insurance company, tell them you found a bogus note on your windscreen and you refute any claims, about all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

sounds like a scam and a chancer, go to local gardai just to make them aware and maybe yourself or herself have a gawk around the carpark and see if notes are left on any other cars over the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

She should contact her insurer and tell them that she wants it noted for record purposes only. Chances are this person took her details from her disc and will contact her insurer themselves. If there is no evidence (cctv, independent witnesses) it's just one word against the other. It might be an idea to get her to call into the local Garda station too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

^^^ +1

also photo your girlfriends car - highlighting lack of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Check your missus car and see if there's damage.
    F**kers may have hit her and now trying to put the blame on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers lads. She'll call the insurance company at lunch. Didn't check for damage last night, but I'll do so this evening and take pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

best of luck.. .not a nice thing to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Can you contact the Dart station, or whoever operates the car park, and ask if there is CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Just a though but how about ringing the number and just see how the conversation develops first? ...then go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Don’t show your number if taking this approach though.
    I wouldn’t give out any details like reg number. Ask them for your reg. they may be pulling. This with other people too.

There may well be damage from a car that was there before you as well. Person might think they’re in the right.

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    Just a though but how about ringing the number and just see how the conversation develops first? ...then go from there.

Ask them what times they were parked there first then no matter what they say,say you were there before that time.
    Obviously you will be there before that time if she didnt do it,
    the train ticket will confirm this.

I mean there's a possibility that this person is in some way genuine and thinks our car hit hers. But there's nothing to say that someone else didn't hit this car and pull out of the space and move elsewhere before my GF parked correctly.

Raging I never put a camera in the car. I had said it for months... just bought one now.

I don't think it's wise to engage with this person. I don't expect they'll just say "oh you didn't hit us, that's fair enough".

Right. A note was left on her file, and no action will be taken. If any claim is put forward they will contact us. What a hassle. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Id still ring them and see what their story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭Homer

ION08 wrote: »
    Id still ring them and see what their story is.

I'd be curious too.. withhold your number if calling so they cant call back!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On the other hand if you don’t engage at all they may see this as practically an admission of guilt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

One possibility is the note was left on another car, that driver took it off their windscreen and put it on your GF's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd ignore it . Should they claim form your insurance company, they will have to provide proof that you damaged their car, I can't see how they could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hopefully nothing will come out of this, but I would probably ring her insurer and mention that you got message like that but you didn't hit anyone.
    And also report it to garda station.
    It doesn't matter that they won't do anything about it - at least they'll have it on their books.

Cases like that makes me think that having insurance disc with policy number on a windscreen is probably not the best idea.

One possibility is the note was left on another car, that driver took it off their windscreen and put it on your GF's?

Hadn't thought of that one! I mean there's lots of possibilities. Insurance has it logged now, my mate knew a gard and gave him a call, he said they wouldn't be able to do anything it's a civil dispute. His advice was the same as everyone here, to notify the insurer.

I don't see how not contacting this random, unknown person would be seen as an admission of guilt. I'll take pictures of the car this evening and see if there's any marks of note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

So someone who was present put a note on a car with no-one present in, saying "you drove into me"...

You'd think that if your GFs car crashed into another car then GF would actually have been in the car... and no need for a note would be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

They have zero proof op. Unless your GF parked in the middle of the road at a weird angle, any photograph they have will show your clearly parked car alongside the 'victim's' car.

So many holes in this! They obviously lack basic intelligence.

Don't ring them back whatever you do. That number could link directly to a foreign country which could cost you a few bob. I'd say getting you to ring is the motivation behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

biko wrote: »
    So someone who was present put a note on a car with no-one present in, saying "you drove into me"...

You'd think that if your GFs car crashed into another car then GF would actually have been in the car... and no need for a note would be needed.

well it is possible that the person was not there when it happened and returned to their car to find the OP car in contact with theirs and took a picture...and the left the note and went off home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Cheers lads. She'll call the insurance company at lunch. Didn't check for damage last night, but I'll do so this evening and take pictures.

It's the first logical thing to do (check for damage), you are strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Google and face book search the no. I always do that before ringing a strange no.
    Go from there.
    I would ring them from a garda station. Then the guard can witness any claims and have it on file.
    Surely if you are reporting a potential fraud case the guards will have to log it and give you a pulse no

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hadn't thought of that one! I mean there's lots of possibilities. Insurance has it logged now, my mate knew a gard and gave him a call, he said they wouldn't be able to do anything it's a civil dispute. His advice was the same as everyone here, to notify the insurer.

I don't see how not contacting this random, unknown person would be seen as an admission of guilt. I'll take pictures of the car this evening and see if there's any marks of note.

Slightly different Scenario but it might be useful to op. Last year I got a call from a Garda saying he had a gentleman in front of him claiming he had parked his car in car park and when he returned it was damaged and there was note on the window claiming responsibility with my name and number on it. I told the Guard I had never been in that car park which I hadn,t and that was the end of it, I never heard another word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Put their number on donedeal for a car going cheap or something. Or a load of hay bales going cheap. They'd have no end of lads ringing them to annoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Put their number on donedeal for a car going cheap or something. Or a load of hay bales going cheap. They'd have no end of lads ringing them to annoy them.

Sure just put it up here and we,'ll all give em a call :D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Has been said, But search the number on FB. It'll come back with a profile if connected. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just scum chancing their arm, hoping to get an oul dear that'd be worried sick and get handy e1000 cash out of her.
    I'd ring them anyway asking about the eg tractor for sale on donedeal just to post here who u we're dealing with

Advertisement