Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Note left on windscreen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm sure the station has CCTV but it probably can't see both cars in question. Outside of CCTV, they didn't actually see anything and it's very, very possible someone else damaged the car. So no witness to the alleged damage, just quick to point the finger.

Any marks on the GF's car at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

I'd say the person who answers will have a quare accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wonder how someone thought that your gf crashed into their car if she wasn't actually there at the time.

Without any proof there nothing that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Have you checked the name of the person the phone belongs to? Might be a common thing they do... very strange anyway. <snip, not legal stuff removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

One think that just doesn't add up to me is if someone did hit into someone elses car and cause damage, they would hardly park their car near them. Sounds like a scam to get someone to cough up money. I'd say it to the whoever operates the carpark itself and see if this has happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just went out to check the car in the snow. No new marks on the car (07 nissan note with plenty of marks to begin with). I have pictures from 2 years back of most of the car and the existing marks are the same.

This is the note:
    I woould appreciate a call around hitting my bumper and marking it with your car, I have taken photo's

So I think I have done all I can do at this point.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do what I did before. Have a full conversation. Then depending on how it goes, tell them there is 360 degree camera in the car and you'll have a look at the footage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

antodeco wrote: »
    Do what I did before. Have a full conversation. Then depending on how it goes, tell them there is 360 degree camera in the car and you'll have a look at the footage!

No help to the OP unfortunately, but OEM 360° Surround View systems will record in the near future whenever movement is detected.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No help to the OP unfortunately, but OEM 360° Surround View systems will record in the near future whenever movement is detected.

The person on the phone doesn't know there's no 360 camera ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would deffo call them from a private line tomsuss them out.
    But I’d ask them first what kind of car they put the note on incase it was indeed moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Gardaí would be very interested in that note.
    So I suggest you bring it ASAP to your local station.
    You or the member assigned to your 'query' will then make that call.
    Gardaí don't just deal in murders.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it's not a scammer and the note writer for whatever reason genuinely thinks your gf hit their car, then she might consider parking in a different part of it for a while in case they decide to 'even things up'.

Our insurance company have advised us to report this to the gardai, which we will do this evening. Just for record purposes. The insurance company have said they will not entertain any claims coming in for this issue. Although I'm not sure how that would all work...

Cheers for all the advice lads, I really appreciate it. This forum is always great for these situations where you need a second opinion on a strange situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Our insurance company have advised us to report this to the gardai, which we will do this evening. Just for record purposes. The insurance company have said they will not entertain any claims coming in for this issue. Although I'm not sure how that would all work...

Cheers for all the advice lads, I really appreciate it. This forum is always great for these situations where you need a second opinion on a strange situation.

Go to gardai and insist that it is recorded. You might get the whole civil issue - sort it yourself but just insist that this is an attempted fraud and dont leave until it is officially noted. Attempted fraud is not a civil issue.
    As you mention its a nissan note with a few marks, the scum probably took a gamble on it being an old persons car and were hoping to get some easy cash by frightening the old driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just went out to check the car in the snow. No new marks on the car (07 nissan note with plenty of marks to begin with). I have pictures from 2 years back of most of the car and the existing marks are the same.

This is the note:

So I think I have done all I can do at this point.

Could it be that they hit you and are not native English speakers?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

If you are calling do not let them know your phone number or disclose your car details / location, chancers like this often have a few scams on the go so start your call with something vague like you are ringing about a note rather than the note you left on x car at x location.

mickdw wrote: »
    Go to gardai and insist that it is recorded. You might get the whole civil issue - sort it yourself but just insist that this is an attempted fraud and dont leave until it is officially noted. Attempted fraud is not a civil issue.
    As you mention its a nissan note with a few marks, the scum probably took a gamble on it being an old persons car and were hoping to get some easy cash by frightening the old driver.

Yes, we bought it off an elderly lady, plenty of marks on it. I have pictures from when I did a detailing job on it last year showing 90% of the marks. I can't see anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

As long as they don't have a parking mode dash cam

Just another update on this.

We went to Malahide Garda station last night, and were talking to a really sound gard. It was pretty funny really, as we were there to report that nothing had happened. He did listen to us, and he took note of what happened, and also checked pulse to see if there was anything logged/checked against our reg. He said he wouldn't worry about it and didn't think we should call the number either. Hopefully that's the end of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Put their number on donedeal for a car going cheap or something. Or a load of hay bales going cheap. They'd have no end of lads ringing them to annoy them.

I was going to suggest that except it was going to be a 08 Hiace and horsebox owner “emigrating” €1500 ono.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

jca wrote: »
    I was going to suggest that except it was going to be a 08 Hiace and horsebox owner “emigrating” €1500 ono.

I'd put an ad up for free left over building supplies, several big bags of sand and 150 building blocks. First arrival takes the lot!

Endless calls from every Tom Dick and Simon with a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Why though? .. the persons note was quite polite and un-agressive.

If you havent yet given the person a call to suss them out and determine any malicous intent, I would not take any of the above advice regarding placing add's using their number :rolleyes:

That would make you the aggressor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah have to agree with ION08 whilst chances are its a scam or that. It could also be that someone hit their car and moved off, then your wife parked there, they see scratches on your car and assume it was you.

I never entertained any idea that I was going to mess around with this number. Others were just having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

How long would it take for a dashcam to drain the main car's battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Usually these cameras only activate and start recording after the sesonors feel a knock. They take some calibrating though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Could it be possible that the Girlfriend may well have tipped the car, maybe ever so slightly and didn't realise. Was late for her train and ran, not giving the owner a chance to catch up with her.

Just being devils advocate here.

I would guess though if it is a scam, that a similar note would be left on other cars.

First thing I would do would be ring the number, ask them to explain what happened and if they witnessed it and to describe your car. If it's a scam you will soon realise. tell them you are ever so sorry, I'm sure they are only looking for a payout and wouldn't want the hassle of going through insurance. Agree with them. Tell them you'll get cash and meet them to hand it over................ With Garda Joe Bloggs @ Malahide Cop Shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’d owrsonally ring the number from a with head number and tell them that you have given the note and they’re number to the Gardai and to contact them if they want but that you will not be engaging with them further on any level.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Any decent one with parking mode monitors the car battery and stops recording If battery falls below a certain set voltage, eg 12V
    Miike wrote: »
    Usually these cameras only activate and start recording after the sesonors feel a knock. They take some calibrating though

I think most newer ones have motion activated, or time lapse to go with the bump modes, bump mode usually only gets 5-10s before a bump.

Certainly mine has both of those features.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭joey1111

The Muppet wrote: »
    Slightly different Scenario but it might be useful to op. Last year I got a call from a Garda saying he had a gentleman in front of him claiming he had parked his car in car park and when he returned it was damaged and there was note on the window claiming responsibility with my name and number on it. I told the Guard I had never been in that car park which I hadn,t and that was the end of it, I never heard another word.

I wonder where they got your name and phone number and more to the point why would they try and incriminate you?

Were you arguing with people before this or irritating someone at work or something?

Advertisement