Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bit of a Game Changer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Best. News. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Based on the article I've linked to. I'd say the onboard facilities will be similar to the Irish Ferries, Epsilon. A decent ship without the frills which I have sailed on many times and have often said that the time on board especially in the cabins was far to short. You'd have just settled into a lovely comfortable sleep and the next thing you know is the Captain on the Blower announcing to get you butt out to the Car Deck for disembarkation.

I wonder how long the passage will take, as the Portsmouth crossing lasts about 28 hours (naturally that's weather dependent), so I'm guessing 30/34 hours.

Certainly looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I wonder how long the passage will take, as the Portsmouth crossing lasts about 28 hours (naturally that's weather dependent), so I'm guessing 30/34 hours.

Certainly looking forward to it.

According to the article, 26 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rethinking my Rosslare Cherbourg booking now, Santander sounds much handier to me and would cut out an awful lot of driving down through France.
    I wonder how much it will cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Rethinking my Rosslare Cherbourg booking now, Santander sounds much handier to me and would cut out an awful lot of driving down through France.
    I wonder how much it will cost?

Definitely will make a lot of people think again. The fuel cost alone would justify paying a good bit extra. Then it's the best part of a week each way to get to Spain from the north if it's to be any way enjoyable. It should appeal to anyone thinking about going that bit further. Having discovered the delights of motorhoming in northern Spain last summer I know what I'd be doing.

• Advertisement

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Definitely will make a lot of people think again. The fuel cost alone would justify paying a good bit extra. Then it's the best part of a week each way to get to Spain from the north if it's to be any way enjoyable. It should appeal to anyone thinking about going that bit further. Having discovered the delights of motorhoming in northern Spain last summer I know what I'd be doing.
    We had a great time last year in N Spain, Picos de Europa, San Seb. ,Tordesillas
    Some scenery and a great unspoilt part of Spain.
    Discovered the delights of Oruja and the pitfalls as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

It may sound a bit daft on this forum but I'll share this tip anyway. When booking Brittany Ferries you can get better deals if you ring up and include a minimum 3 nights at their hotels.

For example I was getting quoted £540, motorcycle + 2 Portsmouth - Bilbao online.

Called bookings with hotel code to hand and £505 for 3 nights B+B, motorcycle + 2 Portsmouth - Bilbao. Just saying it might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I seen a post on Facebook about this service and according to that it will be a sister ship of Epsilon. I would think the quoted crossing time of 26 hours is a best case scenario as in good weather conditions and I dare say if the weather wasn't favourable a few hours could be added.

I seen a post on Facebook about this service and according to that it will be a sister ship of Epsilon. I would think the quoted crossing time of 26 hours is a best case scenario as in good weather conditions and I dare say if the weather wasn't favourable a few hours could be added.

A few Hours wouldn't bother me to be honest, it saves over 1100km and 11 hrs of driving plus tolls and food.
    For anyone heading to the south of France it probably makes a lot of sense and makes access to Portugal and Northern Spain very easy.

The schedule is now published on their website http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route
    No fares available on the website, as you have to phone a number in Cork for the moment. Very quaint, having to speak with an actual human being for a change. :)

• Advertisement

The schedule is now published on their website http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route
    No fares available on the website, as you have to phone a number in Cork for the moment. Very quaint, having to speak with an actual human being for a change. :)

'Twould be interesting to see what the prices are like... Anyone called them yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

1120e going out last week May back second week June with Motorhome 2 persons 4 berth outside cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

I read a post on Facebook today about this new service. One person was quoted over €1700.00 return for July and another was quoted about €1100.00 for September. Handy service but horribly pricy.
    Kevin

demoreino wrote: »
    I read a post on Facebook today about this new service. One person was quoted over €1700.00 return for July and another was quoted about €1100.00 for September. Handy service but horribly pricy.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Brittany Feries tend to be pricey anyway compared to Stena/IF for Cherbourg/Roscoff so it isn't that high by their standards.
    A quick look on aferry.com quotes €1284 return Cork/Roscoff mid July for a 7m motorhome and two adults. (IF is €738 for Rosslare/Cherbourg on the same week). So it looks like swings and roundabouts as regards cost of getting to Spain.
    I'd think the main saving is in the time and hassle to get that far south. I'd bet that the prices will rise once the route gets established.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

demoreino wrote: »
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

I guess if you want to go to santander it might make sense.

Cork-Roscoff July, motorhome 2 adults 3 kids with claustrophobic inside cabins = €1596 then add 2000km of driving to get to Santander and €170 euro in diesel and €50 in tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

For any of you working out the detailed costs of this, be advised that our government here (France) put up the price of diesel at the start of January, now about 1€35/litre and upwards along the route from Cherbourg.

If taking the French route, https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ is worth taking with you on your travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

For any of you working out the detailed costs of this, be advised that our government here (France) put up the price of diesel at the start of January, now about 1€35/litre and upwards along the route from Cherbourg.

If taking the French route, https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/ is worth taking with you on your travels.

WOW. That fairly tears the a**e out of it. I was there in October and the gazoil was hovering around the 1.25 mark. It had crept up over the previous 12 months to the point where it was the same price as here. It's a wonder that the French lorry drivers arnt up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's the price we're all paying for the lorry drivers being up in arms over the pay-as-you-pollute écotaxe, scrapped at a cost of 800.000.000€ after the whole system was put in place ahead of time and under budget - not often any government gets that kind of success. You'll still see the cameras on/over the roads ... and since last year, that extra 5ct/litre. This years' increase is intended to make diesel less attractive for ordinary motorists.

On the subject of pollution, be warned that Bordeaux is to be added to the list of French towns where you need a Crit'Air vignette to drive within the city limits (also coming to Annecy and Marseille this year, but they're off the usual "Irish" routes)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

When does the service commence/end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Thanks! Yes, I saw this link but it doesn't give a specific start date.

I rang Reservations and the first sailing from Cork is Wed, May 2nd, 2018.

FYI - 2 weeks from May 2nd to May 17 for 2+2+camper+cabin is €1211. Good deal!

Advertisement