Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Fionn: PM Tues 16th/AM Weds 17th, Jan 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It is during events like this that Maq is missed from this forum. Seems to be gone for a couple of years now.

Yep, I joined in August 2015 and only got to see a handful of his posts until he disappeared in February 2016.... great poster! Would love to see him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing happening down here in Waterford so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have to suspect there are power outages in Kerry and possibly other areas because of lack of posts from regular contributors in those areas. Checking 18z reports to see how gusts are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yep, I joined in August 2015 and only got to see a handful of his posts until he disappeared in February 2016.... great poster! Would love to see him again.

His last post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98589166&postcount=669

Seems he was having trouble login in to the forum and that he was getting just a little peed off about it.

A real shame. :o

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    His last post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98589166&postcount=669

Seems he was having trouble login in to the forum and that he was getting just a little peed off about it.

A real shame. :o

That was after the DDOS attack to Boards.ie near the end of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have to suspect there are power outages in Kerry and possibly other areas because of lack of posts from regular contributors in those areas. Checking 18z reports to see how gusts are doing.

Check out

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Appears to be a number of Power outages along the western seaboard including Kilarney area ...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Aldi in Ennis closed about 2 hours ago due to weather conditions!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

10 min avg winds of 45 km/h , gust 84 km/h ( readings from 7m approx ) here near Tralee. Lights flickering hope the electricity holds up. Massive wintry showers and even getting snow in the mix now.

Laughing at RoisinD's post, good on ye! Certainly a wicked night out there.

rafales_uk_iiy1.png

rafales_uk-17_bon5.png

rafales_uk-16_qkl4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Violent gusts now west mayo,power flickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Power on+off in N.E Galway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some land stations saw slightly reduced gusts at 18z compared to 17z but the M6 buoy appears steady state at 64 knots this hour.

These fast flow windstorms are pretty much nowcasting situations as there's nothing much to track, the model guidance makes it appear that these strong winds should peak soon and diminish a bit by midnight, but I suspect that this energy will link up very rapidly with the next low and these very strong winds may only back off slightly before ramping up again tomorrow evening.

Missed most of last night's planned sleep (no particular reason, couldn't fall asleep) so having to down tools now, back when I can concentrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

RoisinD wrote: »
    I think this has brought the worst winds of the winter so far around here. Bushes etc round here (don't do trees very well) uprooted, fencing looking dodgy. Tried to go out to car a few minutes ago (it is in what I would class as in a sheltered spot) and had to give up. Liam Dutton can stick his opinions where the sun don't shine.
    NW Clare

Fair play. A professional meteorologist who can't see the wind strengths meet criteria and then finishes with 'they'll be naming raindrops yet'. It's not much above Paddywhackery and made my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 YeaYeaSure

Very rough weather up the esturary in West Limerick here since about 2pm. Power out in a few places around. Had pretty constant thunder and lightning for a couple of hours as well earlier. The Limerick to Listowel coast road(N69) is also impassible due to the large swell and high winds.

As a matter of interest I think the GFS and especially the WRF under called this and the ARPEGE, ECM and ICON did quite well.

tempresult_jeo1.gif

tempresult_zov6.gif

UucjMYz.png

nagdefy wrote: »
    Fair play. A professional meteorologist who can't see the wind strengths meet criteria and then finishes with 'they'll be naming raindrops yet'. It's not much above Paddywhackery and made my blood boil.

I love him because of his rants about the media and newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very Gusty here in West Clare. No damage visible though. The sudden Gusty periods followed by some quiet is what sets this apart from normal storms.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Very Gusty here in West Clare. No damage visible though. The sudden Gusty periods followed by some quiet is what sets this apart from normal storms.

Yes the big gusts seem to be very convective in nature accompanied by hail / wintry mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As a matter of interest I think the GFS and especially the WRF under called this and the ARPEGE, ECM and ICON did quite well.

ARPEGE has been a pretty reliable performer for the season in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As others have said, it's a very squally event. Bouts of intense gusts and hail/rain coming sideways but separated by lulls when it falls back to just a breeze.
    South Connemara.

• Advertisement

10 min avg 42 km/h gust 85 km/h near Tralee

rafales_uk_ngd4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

JCX BXC wrote: »

Same here in West Limerick. Some fierce gusts with plenty of lightening and squally showers. Power still on thankfully.

rafales_uk_yfq3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have to be honest I was little surprised myself to see this named notwithstanding potential impacts.

Anyway I think Liam Dutton expressed his opinion in the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind strenght rising rapidly here with strong gusts. Feels very very cold in the wind.

That's about as technical as I am going to get! Now sitting in front of the fire and definitly not bothered to take another look outside. :eek:

130 m asl

North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

I have to be honest I was little surprised myself to see this named notwithstanding potential impacts.

Anyway I think Liam Dutton expressed his opinion in the wrong way.

Its very windy in Sligo during the showers almost every 10 minutes. 50knots id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Not too bad here outside Newport, Mayo. Had a few strong gusts earlier and lights flickered but nothing major.

Keeping a close eye on tomorrow's event as that may turn out to be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm met reports, Mace Head gusting 68 Knots!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Lights flickering here, near Doneraile, north cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyone know what altitude Kinsale's anemometer is at?

56kt - 103km/h gust at 9PM
    66kt - 122km/h at M6, miles out to the west

Nothing particularly remarkable

Advertisement