Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreaded first day of Creche approaching- ADVICE NEEDED

Options
  • 16-01-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So we are approaching the 1 year mark with our little boy and he is due to start creche at the end of Feb. The "easing in process" starts the week before.

Honestly I am dreading as at the moment he is joined at the hip with his mum and he cries sometimes even when she just leave the room.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how to make this better, or is it a case of "it's gonna be s**t for the first few weeks" until he gets used to his new routine?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Every child is different, so it's hard to give concrete advice. Mine both started creche at 5 months, and while one was only delighted to meet a bunch of new friends and didn't toss me a second look, the other was screaming like I was throwing her into lava. 
    I'd say if there is a work start date, start creche at least 2 weeks beforehand, the settling might take 1 day, or it might take 2 weeks. Gradually increase it day by day and take the creches advice on it. If they say, please leave the room for 20 minutes, and see how he gets on, then do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭fits

Try not to worry too much about it in advance. They change a lot around the one year mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Get ready for all the bugs too. Be flexible in work the first few weeks...they catch EVERYTHING
    And write their initials on everything with black marker...bibs bottles EVERYTHING
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Takes a little time. The first few days will be getting him used to his new surroundings, building up the time spent there each day. Then after a few days you pop out for 10-15 mins (don't just sneak out, let him know you are leaving and that you will be back), and you slowly build up the time each day. There will probably be tears at the start and it can be heartbreaking. But it gets better with time. After 2 weeks, he should be in a good place mentally for staying there. The mornings drop offs will be tough for a while but it gets better. Picking them up is one of the highlights of the day, seeing them light up and running into your arms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I had exactly 0 days to settle my big one in. I turned up in the morning and had to leave him. Honestly it was hard on me, I was crying in the elevator while the minder told me he calmed down after 30 seconds and was grand all day. And the following day. And pretty much any day after that.

Also someone said something about catching bugs; YES, they will bring it all home and spend a good while in the beginning snotty and sick.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Stock up on the probiotics and a multivitamin!

Every kid is different. Mine settled in grand, and within a week or so was rearing to go in the mornings because of all the new playmates and new toys and it was all way more exciting than being at home with boring old mammy.

It's hard though - you get such a dose of guilts. Like you are throwing them to the wolves or something. I think it was harder on me than it was on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭appledrop

As a small baby my little boy wanted to be in my arms a lot. He went to creche at 7mths + absolutely loved it. Settling in week I was a bit upset but he settled in great. It really helped that in his creche they work with his rountiue for first few months. My husband does the drops + I think that helps as he goes in no bother. He has literally only cried a handful of times since he started over a year ago. The creche is brilliant + each day give an account of how he got on.

Hopefully it will go well for your family aswell!

Advertisement